Thrustmaster TX locked on power-up

After a few years of trouble-free operation, my TX stopped working:
1- It does not do the auto-calibration (left/right limits) on power-up. On power-up, the Mode light on the lower left first turns red briefly, then green briefly, then blinks red (about 3 per sec.).
2- The wheel is locked up and vibrates, as though the FFB motor is fighting itself. There are very small left/right movements of the wheel occasionally.

After lots of digging around, including motor disassembly to check the rotor (it was fine), I found that one of the 3 mosfet pairs was not getting a signal to its gate. I traced this back to the microcontroller's PWM output pins and sure enough, one of the 3 pairs is not putting out a signal. One output is stuck high and one stuck low. The other 2 PWM pin pairs look like normal output.
I assume this is why the motor is stuck in a vibrating mode, since it can't rotate with one of its poles not getting energized. The question is whether the microcontroller is bad or maybe its not getting position information from the motor?? I do see a pulse waveform coming from the rotary encoder PCB on the end of the motor shaft. The pulses change when the shaft is rotated but I can't interpret whether its correct.
Also, does anyone know if the cylindrical magnet on the motor shaft has to be oriented in some way relative to the shaft? I would think the start-up calibration would handle this. But when checking out the motor, I found the magnet was just friction fit to the shaft -- pretty firmly and I doubt it would rotate -- but I could (and did) move it. There are no visible alignment marks on it. There's about a 1mm / 1/16" gap between the magnet and bottom of the encoder PCB. I don't think its an encoder problem, but it seems odd that one PWM channel of the microcontroller would suddenly fail.
Note- PC driver and TX firmware both install without errors and are up-to-date, but wheel is not seen by TX Control Panel. As soon as the firmware upload completes, the wheel tries to do an auto-calibrate and immediately locks up.

Any clues?

Nice work until now. I am not a technician , but I'll give you my experience and you can judge if it helps.
The magnets on the moror (both shaft & hall effect) do not have any alligning to be done. They just need to be in place and not be able to move. So If you have already opened the motor just epoxy it and you'll be fine. Also this can just cause the endless calibration problem , not your stuck motor issue.
As you correctly tracked down , one of the 3 motor phases does not pass the signal. Yes the PCB is the issue here , and unfortunately I cannot give a solution , just speculate. It could be as simple as a cold solder issue (Heating the pcb sometimes fixes issues like that) Or indeed the controller is broken. In this case I dont know if its replaceable because I think that it needs programming. Your only way that I can think that you can check the hall sensor is with a motor controller , but I doubt that your problem lies there.
Good luck and keep us posted

Upvote 0
I checked for signals directly on the IC pins, and checked the solder pads closely so it’s not likely a cold or cracked solder joint issue. I also checked that SPI comms between the processor and rotary encoder is working.
In the meantime I bought a T300RS base so I’m back up and running. Maybe if I come across a used/dead unit for cheap I’ll attempt to swap components.
Thanks for the reply.
js

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 354 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years