Thrustmaster TS-PC Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition attachment screw holes ?

First of all hi to all, I am into sim racing for a while and decided to upgrade my wheel past week and just bought a brand new Thrustmaster TS PC 488 Challenge edition well with mail order,

But I am supposing that might be not a brand new one at least some parts of it, first I recognized there are very little shiny spots on the Alcantara leather coating on some places but they are so small so I couldn't be sure is it a showroom product or a very clean second-hand product, but later, I recognized there is a threading hole spaced out on the rim's itself at the bottom, which looks like a thread for attachment screw on the base, it is also center off and that draws my attention, so I decided to digged up a bit and couldn't see the same thread holes that I got on my wheel in any other 488 Ferrari wheel, far as I saw from youtube reviews there are no holes.
So I am starting to suspect maybe it might be a clean used second hand or a traded one or another showroom product, if it is the case I will gonna contact the sender and want a refund or change, here are the pictures of it, the hole that I got is also center off as you can see and I did not tighten or adjust the attachment screw yet.

if you guys have any kind of threading hole or information about it on the TS PC Ferrari 488 rim please let me know, I do not want to create any false alarms for anything.

thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG-20211126-194348.jpg
    IMG-20211126-194348.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG-20211126-194413.jpg
    IMG-20211126-194413.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG-20211126-194446.jpg
    IMG-20211126-194446.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 166
my Ferrari wheel does not have that hole
All of my Thrustmaster wheels have a similar hole or dent, except they didn't have to begin with. That's caused by the securing screw going a bit too deep into the wheel attachment.

I recognized there is a threading hole spaced out on the rim's itself at the bottom, which looks like a thread for attachment screw on the base, it is also center off and that draws my attention
If you've never tightened the securing screw yourself then that's a dead giveaway that you've received a pre-used unit.

The truth is that if you do use the securing screw your wheels will likely end up with a dent or small hole in that area (and yes it's likely to be off centre). It's not really a problem in itself if you keep one wheel on all the time, but if you change wheels a lot then just tighten the collar as much as possible and don't use the screw. The collar will gradually loosen over time but it's only a case of tightening it again.

my Ferrari wheel does not have that hole
Thanks for the reply, that draws my attention too in the videos..
All of my Thrustmaster wheels have a similar hole or dent, except they didn't have to begin with. That's caused by the securing screw going a bit too deep into the wheel attachment.

If you've never tightened the securing screw yourself then that's a dead giveaway that you've received a pre-used unit.

The truth is that if you do use the securing screw your wheels will likely end up with a dent or small hole in that area (and yes it's likely to be off centre). It's not really a problem in itself if you keep one wheel on all the time, but if you change wheels a lot then just tighten the collar as much as possible and don't use the screw. The collar will gradually loosen over time but it's only a case of tightening it again.

So I am asking to be sure about it, When I got the Wheel I got that hole before I use the attachment screw, which I can see the other side of it clearly, so it is completely passed thru-hole as you can see in the pictures, but the interesting part is inside of the hole is polished and smooth and there are none screw marks in it which should be occurred when you tighten the screw and create the hole inside of it with the force, but as I said there was none...

So the first couple of days, I did not use the attachment screw but after that, it started to loose after couple of laps, so I decided to use that hole for attaching the screw. I don't know its current condition right now because I did not unscrew it yet.
But if the hole is not from the beginning as you said in all TM units, that means they also drilled the area for clarifying the marks of the previous usage and sold it like a brand new one and if it's the case it is a big scam for a big company like that in the area that I am living.

I also posted in another forum and they said that hole is the Thrustmaster's quick-release hole and there is nothing wrong with that.

So I am confused a bit, if it's not a quick-release hole or the quick-release hole is not completely passed thru like mine, I will get in contact with the seller and want a Refund or change cause of the used product.
Thanks for the replies again.

Last edited:
It appears someone has drilled out the hole that gets created from the screw when you screw it in too far.
The wheel does not come this way new so you were sold a used wheel.......

I have the same base\wheel and I attached a couple pics of mine.

The seller drilled out the hole to clean it up and make it look like it was supposed to be there from the factory to hide the fact the wheel\base is used............
20211211_063000.jpg
20211211_063023.jpg

It appears someone has drilled out the hole that gets created from the screw when you screw it in too far.
The wheel does not come this way new so you were sold a used wheel.......

I have the same base\wheel and I attached a couple pics of mine.

The seller drilled out the hole to clean it up and make it look like it was supposed to be there from the factory to hide the fact the wheel\base is used............View attachment 524302View attachment 524303

Thank you for the quick reply, I was thinking about it the same way but when some of the other users explained such as : it is a Quick attachment hole from the factory, there is nothing wrong with your wheel, I was a bit confused, so will have to contact with the seller on Monday for sure.

When I my TM I had quite a few rims, so to make swapping easier I had a friend 3D print me a collar that goes around the sleeve that connects your base to the rim. Swapping wheels became much easier and you don't need to have a screwdriver handy or get marks on your rim from the screw.
As many have already pointed out, the hole in your pictures indeed seems to be from either having screwed the screw in too far and/or drilling the hole out. Definitely not supposed to be there if it's brand new, but it shouldn't impact its usability. You'll have to decide for yourself if you want to leave the case as is, or take steps to get a partial refund from the reseller since this was being sold as brand new.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 112 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 211 14.3%