Thrustmaster Redefines Normal

After about 6 weeks my TS-PC Racer developed a buzzing noise which would start up about 5 or 10 mins after I started using the wheel. I bought it direct from TM so better raise a support ticket I thought.

I done so and sent them a description of the problem along with a video of the noise.

I was trying to get TM to send me a replacement wheel before I had to send mine off for repair as being without it is a huge inconvenience but the signs weren't good.

3 days and several calls and emails later while waiting to hear about whether they would send me a replacement first I got this in an email (extracted the relevant part below verbatim).

We have been informed that the type and level of noise that you are getting from the unit is normal.

This has been replicated on some of our own units used in all sorts of testing.

This noise is caused by the fan inside the unit and the level of it is within the normal limits.

This is the very video I sent them:

Here was crazy old me thinking my PC-Racer was faulty. I'm of course much happier now that my PC Racer isn't faulty after all and that noise I can hear through noise cancelling headphones while a car engine blares through them comes as standard with TS-PC Racers.

So if you have a PC Racer don't worry folks, it's normal!! If you are thinking of buying one though you might have to wait a few weeks for this feature to appear.

PS - I asked for a refund after this. I didn't get one so I'm left with a £500 faulty wheel they won't repair.
PPS - morale of the story is don't buy direct from Thrustmaster as their support is awful and TBH don't buy a TS-PC Racer as in their words - a loud buzzing noise coming from the base is "normal".
PPPS - apologies if you've already read this post elsewhere - I'm spreading the news.

I delved inside the wheel this morning and learned that it's a fan inside the motor that's making the noise

It's difficult to tell but there is nothing it is hitting that I could see though as you can see in the vid the fan does wobble a bit so there might be something underneath I can't see.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents. Mine is making this same noise as well. I ordered mine on amazon and shouldn't have any issue with a return if I so desire.

The noise drones out unless I am directly above or behind the wheelbase. My issue might not be as developed as yours (going off what I can hear in the video), but it is definitely the same noise.

Upvote 0
The motor definitely has a "break in" period. It was a little notchy when I first got the wheel, but after some use it has gotten smoother.

I am not sure what my options here are if the issue develops further and is "normal." This is thrustmaster's $500 top of the line wheel. If it is "normal," a replacement wheel will simply weild the same issue. Any other wheel in their range would be a downgrade - unless it involved some kind of beta test of their upcoming direct drive wheel. Option B would be to switch the another company'a product, like fanatec, who offer wheels that directly compete with the price and performance of the TSPC.

Upvote 0
I seem to have it fixed as done a nights racing and all is quiet :)

Turns out there is a spring of sorts on the central spindle of the motor which is anchored to the spindle at one end (so the spring turns as you turn the wheel) whose purpose appears to be to hold the fan in place and hence pushes against it. But it's just the open end of a coiled piece of wire basically and the cut part of the wire pushes on the fan and looked to have a slightly rough edge that was making the noise. Solution was to pull this end back over the spring so it was caught a rung down and kept away from the fan. Very tricky to do in such a small space but used the edge of a pointy knife and sneaked it. These 2 pics illustrate it better with a slinky :) BEFORE - http://imgur.com/a/Hc8WU AFTER - http://imgur.com/a/LyEKd

Upvote 0
But a few others have now told me theirs are doing it too which in combo with Thrustmaster themselves saying their's in the lab do it, looks like a flaw in the motor cooling system with that spring which may be affecting all of them to one degree or another?

Upvote 0
Happened to my wheel too... Unlike you guys I just couldn't hook the spring up and across? God knows what tool you used for that, the gap it tiny! Left with a jet engine for a wheel!

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is considered necro but I got a TS-PC racer today, used but only two months old and it was making this obnoxious sound from the moment I first plugged it in :(

I cant believe Thrustmaster would consider this normal, their marketing for the wheel states silent cooling ffs

This is a new wheel under warranty so I do not fancy opening the thing up and messing with it. The wheel itself is great but I have a low tolerance for any buzzing.grinding coil whine type noises from stuff I intend to use alot. Im at aloss, any ideas?

Upvote 0
Just noticed this thread again and thought I'd give a very late followup from my issues in post #10

I contacted Thrustmaster shortly after receiving the wheel and after some slow communication I sent the wheelbase to them in France. Less than three weeks later I had my wheel back and repaired with no issue since. This was all as the covid pandemic was kicking off in March/April too.

While communication wasn't stellar with TM, they did fix my wheel very quickly so their support service did come through for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to dig this one up, but my TS-PC is now making this noice.....
I found this topic, but I can't see any photo's anymore.
In order to perform surgery on the wheel, I need to know what to do ;)

Does anyone still have those pictures?

Upvote 0
If it is from the fan and is out of warranty, you could try vacuuming the intake or exhaust of the fan. Whatever is easier to get to. Might be able to suck something out something if it is in the way. If that does not help, I would take it apart and locate the fan and clear it out and replace it if needed. You probably don't need the exact same fan as a replacment but could probably find the part number on it and order a replacement online cheap. If you can't find a part number or the replacment, I bet a smaller fan would still be fine. Even a little 3D printing fan would probably be fine. Normally fans just have a little harness with a plug. If you need to order something else, just make sure you have the right number of pins and it is small enough and you will probably be fine. You just want to push some air though to keep everything cool as it will shut itself down if it gets too hot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is from the fan and is out of warranty, you could try vacuuming the intake or exhaust of the fan. Whatever is easier to get to. Might be able to suck something out something if it is in the way. If that does not help, I would take it apart and locate the fan and clear it out and replace it if needed. You probably don't need the exact same fan as a replacment but could probably find the part number on it and order a replacement online cheap. If you can't find a part number or the replacment, I bet a smaller fan would still be fine. Even a little 3D printing fan would probably be fine. Normally fans just have a little harness with a plug. If you need to order something else, just make sure you have the right number of pins and it is small enough and you will probably be fine. You just want to push some air though to keep everything cool as it will shut itself down if it gets too hot.
Sadly it's not that fan, it's not the one which is pushing hot air outside, it's the one in the motor which seems to be not replaceable. That is why I'm asking for help moving that spring, it seems to be the problem as mentioned above.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back