RaceDepartment Store

Upcoming Events

AC events on Simracing.GP ACC events on Simracing.GP R3E events on Simracing.GP Weekly rFactor 2 events Join TCR Virtual today!

Thrustmaster pedal sensor to usb using arduino

Hi everyone, I´ve been using some old pedals( thurstmaster ferrari red legend) with my setup(only the pedals not the wheel), but recently they´ve stopped working and I couldn´t find a way to fix them, so I asked a friend if he could lend me a arduino leonardo, in order for me to try and connect the pedal sensors directly to the board.
However I just can´t figure where to connect which wire, and all I found on the internet was some guy doing this with a T3pa, which doesn´t mach at all with what I have.
Here´s some of the photos I took out of the pedals

If someone can help me please I would be very thankfull.
Sorry for my english

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_195534.jpg
    IMG_20211014_195534.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20211014_195701.jpg
    IMG_20211014_195701.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20211014_201208.jpg
    IMG_20211014_201208.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 34
Solution
Well, firstly I'm not sure I'd recommend doing this if you're totally at sea with this kind of stuff.
If you only want to diagnose the fault, then if you have access to a multimeter it may be enough to help you figure out what's wrong.
If you do really want to connect it to the Arduino, here are a few thoughts:
  • first picture suggests that lilac and green wires are the sensor (potentiometer) outputs you'll want to digitise, and yellow and red are the power and ground wires (not clear which way around though, but this doesn't actually matter for your purposes)
  • second pic implies you've already cut off a connector on the end of the cable from the pedals?
  • second pic has lilac, green and yellow, but then white instead...

Neilski

Staff
Premium
Well, firstly I'm not sure I'd recommend doing this if you're totally at sea with this kind of stuff.
If you only want to diagnose the fault, then if you have access to a multimeter it may be enough to help you figure out what's wrong.
  • first picture suggests that lilac and green wires are the sensor (potentiometer) outputs you'll want to digitise, and yellow and red are the power and ground wires (not clear which way around though, but this doesn't actually matter for your purposes)
  • second pic implies you've already cut off a connector on the end of the cable from the pedals?
  • second pic has lilac, green and yellow, but then white instead of red - a multimeter will help you verify if red is connected directly to white somewhere, if you can't already see it inside the housing
  • third pic: you'll want to connect lilac and green to two of the analog inputs (e.g. A0, A1) and then if white=red, connect white and yellow to 5V and GND (if you invert white and yellow, you'll simply invert the output of the pot - so fully pressed down pedal = low voltage would then = high voltage instead)
Good luck :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Solution
  • second pic has lilac, green and yellow, but then white instead of red - a multimeter will help you verify if red is connected directly to white somewhere, if you can't already see it inside the housing
  • third pic: you'll want to connect lilac and green to two of the analog inputs (e.g. A0, A1) and then if white=red, connect white and yellow to 5V and GND (if you invert white and yellow, you'll simply invert the output of the pot - so fully pressed down pedal = low voltage would then = high voltage instead)
Good luck :thumbsup:
Thank you for your help! I will try to do that, I've already cut the connector because theres bot mutch to do in the original board, as it is totally melted, not sure how that happened.
Anyways thanks for your help again!

Upvote 0

GeekyDeaks

Premium
second pic has lilac, green and yellow, but then white instead of red
You can just about see the white wire coming out of the black sheath in the middle of the first pic and then it seems to go towards the other pot. It kinda looks like the red might be coming from the other pot, so I think you are right about it being connected to the white, but a picture of the second pot might shed some light on the connections

Upvote 0

GeekyDeaks

Premium
Might be a daft question @NSsKuT , but what were you using to connect them to your PC before? Only reason I ask is because as @Neilski mentioned, if there is a fault in one of the pots that caused a short between the power and ground, then you might damage the arduino if you simply hook it up, so checking that there is a reasonable resistance between the white and yellow wires before you power it up, e.g. 5k+ ohm, might be a good idea

Upvote 0
Might be a daft question @NSsKuT , but what were you using to connect them to your PC before? Only reason I ask is because as @Neilski mentioned, if there is a fault in one of the pots that caused a short between the power and ground, then you might damage the arduino if you simply hook it up, so checking that there is a reasonable resistance between the white and yellow wires before you power it up, e.g. 5k+ ohm, might be a good idea
yeah the white wire was connect to the red cable witch conected both potenciometers, I was able to get them to work, thanks to Neilski, now I just need to properly calibrate them, I have huge deadzones.
Before all this I was using the original board of the steering wheel, I had my T150 with brake and gas, and this set of pedals which I used for the clutch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Our Latest Video

Check out the latest video of the official RaceDepartment Youtube Channel.
Don't forget to subscribe!

Subscribe