Thrustmaster Ferrari SF1000 not compatible with my T-500RS?

I am pretty sure that's the case, but while I was drooling over the new SF1000 F1 wheel, I saw a tiny bit of text where it said it was compatible with "All T series wheel bases, except for the T500".

I have a T500RS and I own the previous F1 wheel by TM and I always hated the fake rotary switches that make it look like a toy. When I saw the video for this new wheel they offer I was determined to buy it the day it became available.

Apparently, it's not for me, if I am reading the release correctly.

I was wondering what kind of upgrade path I should take if I wanted to buy the SF1000. While I do own the T500RS and the pedals (which I don't use), I have the TM T-LCM pedals and their H shifter, so I am basically stuck in the Thrustmaster ecosystem.

Also, when I bought the T500RS used some years ago, I got it cheap because it was defective but still under warranty. Thrustmaster was kind enough to send me a replacement board, which I changed myself. It wasn't that hard, but also it gave me a chance to get to know the wheel really well.

I guess my hope is to hear from someone more knowledgable about Thrustmaster gear that can suggest a viable path to either buy a different TM wheel base, or maybe find out if it would be possible to cannibalize a T series base and swap boards between mine and some other T series (maybe one with a burnt out motor?).
Anyone knows if something like that would be possible?

My best guess is that the T500RS is incompatible due to the electronics being different. Maybe because the T500RS doesn't have quite as many button inputs as necessary. As far as I can tell, judging from the outside form factor, the compatible wheel bases should still have many interchangeable parts, but maybe I am totally off in that regard. Maybe the design is similar but the internals are totally different.

Nevertheless it is very disappointing to own the very T series base that is not compatible with this affordable F1 wheel that finally doesn't look like it was designed by Mattel.

If my only choice is to buy a new base, which should I buy? I hate selling gear and I especially hate selling it before I have the new gear handy. Maybe that's why I still have a Logitech Momo wheel as my backup :)

I had a T500RS and changed to a TS-PC(this was done probably 2 years ago). I can tell you that the force level is comparable. So if you want to stick with TM ecosystem I think a TS-PC/TS-XW base is the next one to go to. The installation(bolted) to a base is the same. The base it self is smaller/lighter than T500RS as well. The powersupply also is compatible, if the new "turbo" shape power supply ever craps out on you like my TS-PC one did...

Upvote 0
I suspect it is mostly just that the T500RS is so old now and long out of production. It was excluded from the recent set of firmware updates that gave better support for T-LCM pedals to the T300 and other newer wheels, for example.

Upvote 0
You never know, TM might bring out a DD?

That's what I m hoping for.
It's not that I am loyal to Thrustmaster, but changing my entire ecosystem would be a pain and I do have a G25 and even a old Momo wheel, I could use those during my transition, but I am not looking forward to that. I am especially not looking forward to selling my current gear.
With my luck, the moment I buy a newer T series wheel base, they are going to release a $500 DD wheel base. Wh wants to be the hero that explains that to my wife?

But... that new F1 wheel they released covers all the gripes I have with my old Ferrari F1. I just cannot stand the fake rotary switches. Frankly, I don't care very much about the screen. Any idiot can buy and mount one these days, I use an old Android phone, but the rotary switches instead of plastic bumps and cheap stickers make all the difference for me.
It's more that I hate the fake switches on the old one than I like the new wheel.

By the way, anyone knows where to buy rotary switches? I have two button box kits (one I bought by mistake) and I was thinking of either mounting a rotary switch in a small box or even put it on the F1 wheel. The biggest issue so far is trying to find a coiled cable with enough wires inside for a 8 to 14 buttons to connect the wheel to an external controller. I am sure they exist, but not on Amazon.

Upvote 0
I suspect it is mostly just that the T500RS is so old now and long out of production. It was excluded from the recent set of firmware updates that gave better support for T-LCM pedals to the T300 and other newer wheels, for example.
I suspect the same. My guess is that the old T500RS doesn't have enough switches to transmit data. Could also be the Firmware, as you say.

I have the T-LCM pedals, BTW. I run them independently of the wheel because I am trying a number of different springs and rubber stoppers.
Off the shelf, the T-LCM are way too soft. Essentially, for about 70% of brake force it's the pedal travel that controls it. Then the last 30%, once the springs are completely loaded, it's force.
I substituted first one spring, then the other, then both with rubber "bumpstops" and with some fine carving now the brake pedal feels like a real pedal. The only problem is that after some heavy use, the rubber tends to split, so the quest continues.
I am looking into valve springs from an old motor. They should work fine, except that I don't need 16 of them so I am asking nearby shops to spare a few for me to test. It takes so long to explain what I need them for, I haven;t made much progress yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 111 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 84 9.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.5%