Thrustmaster drivers won't install

This is weird. Really weird.
I have never heard that as example installed Logitech would get the puter to refuse installing Thrustmaster.
But you never know.:sneaky:

I've had a couple of games that, when the exe is double clicked, would not open, as the OP describes, and I discovered that if I ended the Logitech software process in Task Manager, the game then ran ok. So it was just something worth a try.

I guess if it was some of the idiotic Windows UAC or the other goofy one I cant remember name of which refuses to let the exe run - then there would at least pop a Window message up.

Hey that's a good idea!
@frank70 have you tried disabling Windows UAC in settings? It might help open the exe. As BrunoB says, it is weird, none of this shoul dbe necessary, but it's worth a try.

I've had a couple of games that, when the exe is double clicked, would not open, as the OP describes, and I discovered that if I ended the Logitech software process in Task Manager, the game then ran ok. So it was just something worth a try.
I admit that I have heard something like that before - but I have allways thought it was just a rumour. But I can obviously see that there could be a secret point/advantage if one prog tried to spoil running the "oppositions" proggy.

Conserning the UAC then I just disabled it years ago - together with the other Windows "friend" I cant remember the name of.
But as I recall then UAC when enabled allways popped up with some message if you tried to violate its goofy rules.:)

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Another thing if I really take my tinfoil hat on is MSs included threat in one of the notes for certain a Win10 upd where they said - that from now on you agreed they were allowed to scan your computer for illegal software:confused:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs2: Hehe I can se above that I say the I have never heard "as example installed Logitech would get ..."
I should have said that I didnt believe it. But you allways learn something new here;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey that's a good idea!
@frank70 have you tried disabling Windows UAC in settings? It might help open the exe. As BrunoB says, it is weird, none of this shoul dbe necessary, but it's worth a try.

Sorry, I am German. What is Windows UAC? Can you post a screen?

I only have a mouse software installed and the generic game pad which driver comes with Windows. No other wheel software on my PC.

Is it possible for some computer expert out there to extract the files out of the Thrustmaster launcher and repack them with a different launcher?

Windows installer works fine for instance. Actually every other exe is working.

It has to do with the installer that thrustmaster uses. When I try to install the driver of 2018 it does not work either.

Then I found an ancient thrustmaster driver update of 2005 which uses a different launcher - and that one installed. But it was too old and didn't detect my wheel and hadn't a setup/calibration exe.

I heard nothing from Thrustmaster so far and I fear that they just say that it is a problem with my PC and that they do nothing.

UAC is user account control.
You can find it in your settings.
If you put the slider to 'never notify', it will make Windows 10 less 'security conscious' and will not block you when you try to install software.

It's worth a try as a temporary test to see if it helps, but leaving it on that setting afterwards is up to you.
Many people do, and are happy that there is no risk, others say it presents a security risk.
I have done the same in past computers without any trouble, but I currently have mine on the default setting (it's probably safer on default, and I wouldn't change it unless I had a specific need).

My only other suggestions would be driver related.

For example, how old is your motherboard?
Maybe it's firmware needs updating - I'm no expert on those things, you would have to check your motherboard's website for chipset bios, audio drivers & other updates.

Sorry I'm struggling to think of anything else, I cannot understand why the installer doesn't just run.

My only other suggestions would be driver related.

For example, how old is your motherboard?
Maybe it's firmware needs updating - I'm no expert on those things, you would have to check your motherboard's website for chipset bios, audio drivers & other updates.

Sorry I'm struggling to think of anything else, I cannot understand why the installer doesn't just run.
Thanks for trying to help me. I really appreciate that!

Motherboard is merely two years old and drivers are not that old. Shouldn't be the problem.

UAC: I already tried that. Didn't work. I really think it's the launcher itself. It isn't giving me an error message. It just stops and nothing is happening. Every other exe is working.

It's really a shame. I am an older guy, became 50 this year. I played Geoff Crammonds games aaaa lot!!! And now 20 years later I was looking forward to jump back into Sim racing. And now I am sitting here with a new wheel and can't do nothing with it.

Can you list your pc specs, as much as possible, in case we can spot anything. Also anything else that is plugged in to the pc.

(btw I'm 57, and I also LOVED Geoff Crammond's F1GP !)

I would advice to make a socalled Restore point in Windows first.
Hehe you never know if you mess some things up if you follow that guy..
But he hopefully knows what he is doing.
But the sound thing he does mention is pretty weird/irrelevant.
But the rest looks OK:thumbsup:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: He does also mention the UAC thing:)

I think you still confused or rushing things

There is ONLY 1 DRIVER you need to download ...the one I linked
It is driver and FIRMWARE in one

SCROLL DOWN page and CLICK on "Driver"
It will say:
" DRIVERS FORCE FEEDBACK (Package 2020_TTRS_1) + Firmware " .download it

READ EVERYTHING in YELLOW on that PAGE ....it clearly says WARNING
CLICK on the "Firmware " heading and read PROCEDURE

During this procedure: - DO NOT CONNECT the TS-PC RACER wheel to your PC before being prompted to do so. - The wheel must be connected directly to the computer’s USB port. We recommend that you do not use a USB hub for this procedure. - DO NOT CLICK in any Windows dialog boxes that may appear during the update.

Click on "Manual" and DOWNLOAD all the PDFs and store with your driver ....READ EVERYTHING
I assume you can read pdf okay if not download Foxit

Before you try:

Check Programs and Features ...if there is any TM drivers right click them and uninstall
Reboot PC
DON'T CONNECT the wheel till the software asks ie: click NEXT and wait it will search for wheel

AGAIN ...that driver should install on any W10 PC whether you have wheel or not ...by that i mean
it will install up to the point it asks you to connect wheel ...obviously if you don't have the wheel the
setup will fail

Last edited:

Any help for you mate?

It's crazy. I did all of that and nothing worked.

I mean, i am no computer idiot. I know how to doubleclick an exe-file.

Waiting for the Thrustmaster support to come back to me. Not much hope though.

It's crazy. I did all of that and nothing worked.
What do you mean with "And nothing worked"?
Most of the linked advice has only to do with checking some mandatory Registry settings.
How can checking some default settings not work?:whistling:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I guess that DDs procedure and advice is both simple and plain.
And probably a better advice than waiting Thrustmaster magically will heal your computer.:thumbsup:

What do you mean with "And nothing worked"?
Most of the linked advice has only to do with checking some mandatory Registry settings.
How can checking some default settings not work?:whistling:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I guess that DDs procedure and advice is both simple and plain.
And probably a better advice than waiting Thrustmaster magically will heal your computer.:thumbsup:

His advice won't help though cause the problem is that the install won't even start.

I cannot follow steps in the right order when the process doesn't even begin.

I only plugged the wheel in my USB port trying to install the driver manually.

What was I am supposed to do? Nothing?

Registry: I did all these steps and the installation didn't start.

I don't have the technical knowledge of Durge Driven or BrunoB, but I do have a few whacky ideas:laugh:.

1. Try running the TM executable in a virtual environment - Sandboxie or Windows Sandbox.
2. Use Windows' debugging tools to detect what processes are running & preventing the installation of the TM software - process monitor & process explorer - there are plenty of youtube tutorials that do a far better job of explaining how to use the aforementioned tools than I can.
3. Use system restore?

Use Windows' debugging tools to detect what processes are running & preventing the installation of the TM software - process monitor & process explorer
Not so bad an idea.:thumbsup:
At least principally process monitor & process explorer can display processes running when the exe is "executed".
But my unqualified guess is that it is some internal setting in Windows which without a trace just stops the execution before it even starts.

Not so bad an idea.:thumbsup:
At least principally process monitor & process explorer can display processes running when the exe is "executed".
But my unqualified guess is that it is some internal setting in Windows which without a trace just stops the execution before it even starts.

What do you think about converting the exe to an msi file as an option?

His advice won't help though cause the problem is that the install won't even start.

I cannot follow steps in the right order when the process doesn't even begin.

I only plugged the wheel in my USB port trying to install the driver manually.

What was I am supposed to do? Nothing?

Registry: I did all these steps and the installation didn't start.

Hope you don't think i am having a go at you frank, just my unorthodox way of help

A few times you said stuff like "I downloaded the drivers", "tried different drivers", "looked for firmware" ...lead me to believe you were still overlooking things
i mean maybe sheer panic sets in, most of us have had that ;)

So from the first time you tried a driver install it has not worked ?
Well in a way that is good because it would most likely mean firmware update has not been interrupted
or wheel is bricked

So I would not worry too much just yet

Can you tell us what happens powering up the wheel without the usb connected
( i am only familiar with TRS 300 )

Hope you don't think i am having a go at you frank, just my unorthodox way of help

A few times you said stuff like "I downloaded the drivers", "tried different drivers", "looked for firmware" ...lead me to believe you were still overlooking things
i mean maybe sheer panic sets in, most of us have had that ;)

So from the first time you tried a driver install it has not worked ?
Well in a way that is good because it would most likely mean firmware update has not been interrupted
or wheel is bricked

So I would not worry too much just yet

Can you tell us what happens powering up the wheel without the usb connected
( i am only familiar with TRS 300 )
I appreciate your help sincerely.

Wheel is detected as a game pad when I plug it in.

It has no power without being plugged into the pc. But when I plug it in it is calibrating as it should by spinning around.

So the wheel itself is functional but the driver is missing.

Speaking of driver: I downloaded the correct one. Only after it didn't work I downloaded an older one from Thrustmaster hoping that this might work.

I really think that I did nothing wrong.

I am really devastated. Would like to race but I can't.

Thrustmaster came back to me.....

Saying that their software is just working fine and that it is a problem on my side ....... period.

Should check

- Windows
- Bios
- Chipset driver

Cannot find anything wrong there.

I am fuming right now. God dammit, should have went with Fanatec .... which driver i downloaded out of interest, comes with Windows Installer .... and works perfectly fine!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back