Three Monitors vs VR Compared

Seven months ago I showed off my Traction Plus and Motion Platforms, using Oculus Rift VR exclusively. Then I bought Valve Index and wanted a better PC with it. Had two graphics cards burn out with new PC, so PC went back for technical support. Six months later, waiting for better hardware, etc. it finally returned last week and in anticipation I put up three monitors.

3m cockpit 2.jpeg

3m cockpit 1.jpeg

Now I have two drivers, one for VR, one for 3 monitors. Pros and Cons for both, but the VR beats out the 3 monitors for sure with Index giving me 120 fps, but it heats up the graphics card more than the three monitors!

Why three monitors when VR is the way to go for me? Sometimes I like to look at my dashboard, see my beer, and scan the room, though having the cockpit move around while the monitors are stationary is not very realistic. I still drive better with the motion, but it can be disturbing at times. At the edge of my sight I can see my table move closer with the beer when the cockpit slides that way and I have to pause and take care of the temptation. Still, it is a different experience and a lot of fun.

With VR, the driving is just more natural with head movement (tilting, looking up, etc.) with good head compensation due to cockpit movement. The motion is perfect for VR. It is just so much more immersive and the cockpit motion feels natural. The only Con I have for it is I have to grab my beer blindly, though I know where it is at. Note how beer is in a mug that is two-sided taped to the table. I went through some spilling experiences, this solution worked for me.

Last edited:
Just an idea for sim-racing hardware developers: make a mechanism that pumps drink through a tube (just like in real racing cars), but which can be attached to out VR headset and that can be controlled with a PCB, so that the button labelled "DRINK" in our steering wheels finally makes sense. Now the content of the bottle where you insert the tube is up to you: water, juice, beer, whisky...
Or use voice command to save the drink button:
"CrewChief, feed beer"
"CrewChief, diet coke without ice"

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%