Thoughts and Considerations after the Canadian GP

If the driver in front is blocking the overtaking car then I agree that a penalty should be give without a doubt. If a car is out of control, it is the drivers responsibility to get the car back under control which was being done.
In a normal case, the driver doing the overtaking, it is their responsibility to make sure the move is done in a safe manner but on a tight circuit like Canada when the driver behind saw the car go off the track, did he not realize that there is a "60/40% - Toto" chance of coming back onto the track and 60% chance of going across the track?

By not allowing the car in front to rejoin safely by putting his car where he put it , as an overtaking car, did he not create the dangerous situation? (Renault fan by the way - this post is no hate towards Merc)
Interesting way of putting it, and the more I look at the rules relevant the more I think the blame is completely equal.

F1 is DEAD! Those stupid rules, impossible overtaking! Are we getting driving lessons on public roads, or are whe Racing! Let these guys race, there is F1 created for. LE MANS 24H, THATS RACING!:thumbsup:

I have lived in a F1 free zone for 5 years now. No cable available means I cannot pay the $125.00 dollars a month required to get all the gear and permissions to watch F1. Yet by chance II came across the Montreal race live on some link I found. So I grabbed a beer sat back to watch the first F1 race in 5 years.
I preferred it when I could not watch an F1 race. What a waste of my time.
(Note to self-in future, watch out for this sort of time wasting F1 click bait.)

This is not really about the penalty, I believe everyone is fed up with Mercedes and Lewis wining.. And hoping for a Ferrari win, If this was between Charles and Seb, Bottas and Seb or any other teams for position most of you would have forgotten about the penalty.

F1 is not dead for the young generation.. People keep saying here after every race but still watch it, and comment on it here.. See you guys at the next race.. We'll hold you to your comments

it's mainly the older generation stuck in the Nokia times... Times have moved.. Halo, VSC, DRS,... You might like it but that's the way it is... Or go Watch re-runs of 1960’s F1

Stream it. Totalsportek (https://www.totalsportek.com/f1/formula-one-tv-channels/) streams all the races and sessions live, for free. You'll have to navigate a load of red crosses and popups, but eventually the stream begins. You want sound? Hit the volume slider, quickly close the popup and sound is on...you get the picture. Yes its annoying but at least its free.

Disclaimer to all: Yes I know its basically illigal and yes I know I could just pay for it, and no I dont care.
I have the Dutch Ziggo channel, with al the motorsports i can bare to see. But much more people dont have access to such channels. And their internet is still 3G speeds with data caps.

I do believe that f1 could take a leaf out of the endurance races, for a few quid you can either watch lemans, spa or whatever combination you want. Also get on board with whatever driver you follow via app and timings. It opens up a whole other level of following your preferred driver and keeping an eye on the race as a whole.

Personally I'd love this kind of coverage.

Could watch the whole race for Kubica's perspective.

I think there's one big flaw, which could be changed easily but have a huge impact on the races.

Stop that kind of guided race driving! Leave the driver alone during the race. He has to make the decisions and judge his tyres. Maybe judge the whole strategy?

Maybe the car could give him some info on the wheel, if a parameter is critical. But the driver would have to react then.

So just stop data transfer between car and pits during the race. And maybe stop driving advices from the pits during the race.

I do know, but I do not agree that this is what happened.

Vettel didn't run wide, he made a mistake and cut the chicane.

And whether or not he slid almost to the outer wall is down to opinion.

I don't think he did. The stewards studied video evidence - including video feeds we did not see - and they thought he gained control earlier too.
It shows telemetry data that you do not see.
He obviously made no effort to avoid rejoining unsafely & made an effort to keep going quickly to stay ahead.

Let's be objective about this. It doesn't matter if he went wide on purpose, or not. The fact is that it is the responsibility of the driver to keep their car under control. And the law is about the spirit of the law as well as the letter of the law.

1. Did Vettel keep his car under control? No. Period.
2. Was Hamilton disadvantaged? Yes. Period.

Therefore, it's perfectly acceptable to penalise Vettel.

However. in my opinion, the stewards quoted the wrong penalty. They said it was for rejoining unsafely, but it wasn't really. I mean, he's not in full control, it's 2 seconds of time, his wheels are slippery. He has no where else to go.

What should have happened is that he should have given the position to Hamilton, and then they could have carried on battling to the end. The 5 second penalty ruined any chance of that.

F1 is what it is. Changing the culture will take decades, something not done in a few years.
F1 is politics on country level...can't change that within a finger snap, if it can be changed at all...i doubt it.

I know we all have our opinions, and some of us who prefer historic F1 are accused of wearing rose tinted glasses, but can anyone here really argue that these past few seasons have been better than say 1997 for example?

There you had a tyre war, several winners, a title fight right to the end, beautiful cars, circuits with gravel traps, plentiful genuine overtaking, V10 and V8 engines, Arrows, Prost and Jordan almost getting wins, unreliability.. From weekend to weekend you had no idea who would win. Most importantly of all, it was exciting!

fwiw I knew very little about the sport of the sport back then but get very excited for races now. This is purely created by my interest in sim-racing beginning 5 years ago. But despite people saying how boring it is today, I very much enjoy it despite the merc procession which began when i started watching.

Well my English is not good enough to thoroughly express my opinion about this matter.
In short, maybe F1 is destined to be dead. As we regard the safety of the drivers and anyone directly involved in the race as our utmost priority, the tightly ruled car specs and driving safety is inevitable. Finding the balance between entertainingly safe and dangerous race in one of the most powerful manned open wheels racing is close to impossible. Imagined UFC fights, where despite the safety gears, the referee, and standby paramedics, the fighters are only allowed to softly hit their opponents.

The safety is not the issue (though I'd prefer gravel traps for example) but the complicated aerodynamics and non existing overtake possibilities are issues. Add to that the artificial DRS, the constant babbling and controlling of the driver via their racing engineer, too expensive technology which nobody really sees…

There is no real close racing anymore.

F1 directly steered in a dead end.

I think that modern F1 cars are just too good! They are the pinnacle of automotive technology, yes, but they are too fast, too reliable, corner too quickly, too fuel-efficient... all the things about F1 of yesteryear that made the racing exciting to watch have all been nullified. Nobody ever runs out of fuel, no-one ever breaks down (except for Renault :p), the cars are too fast for the historic circuits. Like, modern F1 cars around Monaco makes no sense whatsoever. When you see races from the 1950s or 1960s, the size of the cars were in proportion to the circuit. They were narrow enough to allow overtaking, hard enough to drive to allow for mistakes, unreliable enough to add drama.

I know you can't turn back time, but it does seem to me that F1 has become a victim of it's own progress. I say remove the downforce, reduce the width of the tyres and make them refuel again!! :laugh:

I'm all for cutting off pit->driver communication during the race (use just pit-wall boards). I think that with just that missing we would have seen few more DNF's even from Merc in last 6 years.

Other than that, it is nice to have super fast cars but size is big issue. They are to big for tracks, and they should be shorter. F1 was all about finding new stuff which are used in road cars later, should we expect to have 6m long regular cars in future??? :roflmao:

With these 2 fixes, I don't care about tyres or engines, drivers on track will make the difference by feeling what's wrong and taking steps to drive around the problem.

I think that modern F1 cars are just too good! They are the pinnacle of automotive technology, yes, but they are too fast, too reliable, corner too quickly, too fuel-efficient... all the things about F1 of yesteryear that made the racing exciting to watch have all been nullified. Nobody ever runs out of fuel, no-one ever breaks down (except for Renault :p), the cars are too fast for the historic circuits. Like, modern F1 cars around Monaco makes no sense whatsoever. When you see races from the 1950s or 1960s, the size of the cars were in proportion to the circuit. They were narrow enough to allow overtaking, hard enough to drive to allow for mistakes, unreliable enough to add drama.

I know you can't turn back time, but it does seem to me that F1 has become a victim of it's own progress. I say remove the downforce, reduce the width of the tyres and make them refuel again!! :laugh:

This year at Monaco there was just one retirement, and it wasn’t due to the car failing. That sums it up about how reliable these cars have become. Usually, out of 20 cars, merely 7 or 8 would finish at Monaco. As you said, these cars have become very good. Too good even, which is a paradox.

This year at Monaco there was just one retirement, and it wasn’t due to the car failing. That sums it up about how reliable these cars have become. Usually, out of 20 cars, merely 7 or 8 would finish at Monaco. As you said, these cars have become very good. Too good even, which is a paradox.
I think current cars are too reliable because drivers are only on the limit on Q3, race is only a tire/fuel management unfortunately :(

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%