Thoughts and Considerations after the Canadian GP

To me the most intriguing thing about Formula One is that everyone seems to think that their view of the sport is THE right way for it, and usually the loudest ones are the ones that think F1 should go back to 1960's regulations. Perfect demonstration of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Am I the only one who, in sim racing, rejoins the track from an excursion in a 'slightly out of control' manner to challenge anyone thinking about an overtake?

I'm not blocking, or going straight back to the racing line, but it's enough to stop a cautious driver. Just a racing incident that requires no further investigation.

If you want to see "dirty" passes, or awkward track rejoins, just watch MotoGP on ANY weekend. F1 could learn a lot of their competitive autosport and quality of product they consistently put forth.

F1 V6 Hybrid theoretical rev limit = 15000 from 2014-2019
Actual limit=13000
Theoretical rev limit in 2021 - 18000
shifting = 15000rpm
So basically, with the proposed 2021 engine regs the cars will be revving to the 15000rpm that 2014 had all along!!

View attachment 310067

For those who might not know, this is what happened: Sebastian Vettel, who was leading the race in his Ferrari, was handed a five seconds penalty for unsafe re-joining on the track after going wide at Turn 3. When back on track, he slid almost against the outer wall, closing the way for an overtake to his following opponent, Lewis Hamilton on Mercedes.
Is this really what happened or is it what Vettel would have liked us to believe what happened? Don't present opinion as a fact.

I believe we all have different opinions on the subject and it would be pointless to discuss this.
Then see the above. Don't present controversial opinions as facts... unless that was your intention to get more clicks and cause a stir. We all know controversy sells better, but you weren't even trying to be subtle

You know whats ironic about this situation? Vettel got penalized for actually staying in control of his car.
If the Ferrari would've spun, hit hamilton as it slid back on the track, both would gather a dnf and the incident would've been a simple racing incident for both beeing unlucky in this situation.

Again, Vettel received a penalty for actually staying in control of his car, which is just mind boggling.

Some notes about the past.

1961. F1 and Ferrari driver Fritz d'Orey had a heated discussion with Walt Hansgen in a race.
Come Le Mans practice Hansgen sent Fritz d'Orey on purpose off the track.
Fritz went into a tree. Coma. Plastic surgery. Never raced again.

1974. US GP start. Clay Regazzoni weaves in the direction of Emerson that survives by chance.
After the race Emerson thinks about going to Clay to tell him that he tried to murder him.

No rules. Just "courageous men".

The current rules were created because of man called Michael Schumacher.

To me the most intriguing thing about Formula One is that everyone seems to think that their view of the sport is THE right way for it, and usually the loudest ones are the ones that think F1 should go back to 1960's regulations. Perfect demonstration of the Dunning Kruger effect.

"The Dunning Kruger effect is a cognitive bias whereby people who are incompetent at something are unable to recognize their own incompetence. And not only do they fail to recognize their incompetence, they’re also likely to feel confident that they actually are competent."

So you think anyone who has an OPINION, that differs from yours, and they voice it, its an example of the aforementioned effect, indeed a "perfect" one?

or do you think that's just pop psychology? I mean, people can have an opinion on something, without actually having any form of skill or practical experience/application of said thing...no?

I think you have a misunderstanding of what the study defines

Last edited:
From 94 ' I hear only about safety. Safety and money .Not about racing but only about safety and money.
You want to be safe, pls start playing chess or something.
This is one of the reasons why today f1 is gone.
Modern f1 is now a great remedy for insomnia. Motorsports are dangerous and this is to be the part of this game. And everyone decides to be a race driver or rally driver must calculate this is a race or rally, not a safe game.
I would like to see the 20+ best drivers in the world, not just children of rich parents who want to be safe and be fame.
They got super licenses, they probably know what they're doing, they do not have to be watched like stupid children...
now is all looking like arcade game with all assist for kids.

That's why old fans have moved from f1 to other disciplines (TT race, nascar, rally etc.). safe cars, safe tracks = boredom.
no risk, no money.

No electronics, no change rules in the middle of season, one engine for the race, no limit tires, , openness to innovativeness of engineers , very simple and clear rules for fans, punishing drivers only in extremely dangerous cases.
simplicity

The more I think about the incident the more I realise that if that had been Hamilton and he had made a mistake the uproar over this penalty would be much less I'm sure. Not necessarily saying that people like to hop on a Hamilton hate train but more that after 6 wins in a row for Mercedes it was the disappointment of seeing a battle between the 'underdog' ( well in the sense that a Mercedes wasn't leading for once) and the leading team just disappear due to the penalty. I'm sure that given the dirty air problems F1 has Hamilton would have not got by Seb anyway but the battle nonetheless would have been interesting. In terms of consistency penalties will never be consistant as when people complain the stewards are too harsh they will change their stance, be more lenient and then when Driver 'B' commits lets say the same offence as Vettel people will cry "FIA biased against Vettel". And the cycle will continue. It happens with all areas of F1 such as tyres which switch around every year when people complain about them not being 'racey' enough then people complain when they make changes to make tyres less durable.

This is a small pet peeve, but when writing these articles please avoid randomly bolding text. This isn't pretendracecars, I find bolding text just distracts and makes the article harder to read.

The thing is, rules, especially in F1 it seems, are there to be stretched.

History has proven that F1 drivers can't be trusted to operate on moral assumptions when it comes to grey areas.

Look at why the virtual safety car was introduced. Because F1 drivers couldn't be trused to slow down 'sensibly' during yellow flag periods so they have to get computers to do it for them.

The rules are tight because, when they're not, they're abused. There's no moral compass, there's no sportsmanship.

While I accept that the only consistency in the stewards is their inconsistency, I'm getting really tired of it. And that goes for the fans too. Even in this thread, we see some who think they know best about what F1 could improve on.

Im not sure anyones decided "they know best" its just a collection of opinions. Which invariably differ, which isn't an issue.

Fairly sure we all know we have no say, impact or deciding clout in how the rules in the sport are defined, but in a discussion about such things, id imagine it'd be fairly off plot to not talk about/offer opinion/discuss the subject.

Is this really what happened or is it what Vettel would have liked us to believe what happened? Don't present opinion as a fact.

Then see the above. Don't present controversial opinions as facts... unless that was your intention to get more clicks and cause a stir. We all know controversy sells better, but you weren't even trying to be subtle

I haven't said that he involuntarily closed Hamilton. I just said that he slid, which is what happened. Whether it was on purpose or not, we don't know and I haven't said anything about it.
If you cannot understand written text it's not my problem

I haven't said that he involuntarily closed Hamilton. I just said that he slid, which is what happened. Whether it was on purpose or not, we don't know and I haven't said anything about it.
If you cannot understand written text it's not my problem

Hahahah, don't get roped in mate.

You know what its like.

"The Dunning Kruger effect is a cognitive bias whereby people who are incompetent at something are unable to recognize their own incompetence. And not only do they fail to recognize their incompetence, they’re also likely to feel confident that they actually are competent."

So you think anyone who has an OPINION, that differs from yours, and they voice it, its an example of the aforementioned effect, indeed a "perfect" one?

or do you think that's just pop psychology? I mean, people can have an opinion on something, without actually having any form of skill or practical experience/application of said thing...no?

I think you have a misunderstanding of what the study defines
I never said that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong, and in fact I don't even have an "ideal view of F1". What I'm saying is that there are an infinite amount of aspects that make F1 what it is today, and an almost infinite amount of decisions and events that led it to be the way it is. I actually spend a lot of time at gptechnical just trying to learn more and more about how the cars and the teams work, and I feel constantly overwhelmed with the level of detail, technology and knowledge that goes into the sport. And the fact that I feel like I don't even know the tip of the iceberg when it comes to F1 technical aspects, even though I'm trying to learn more every day about it, is the exact reason why I don't have an opinion about "What F1 should be".

But then at every discussion about Formula One, there's always that guy who barely knows the number of wheels the cars have, yet he seems to know the exact answer to what should be done to improve the sport, and then he starts babbling with ideas so stupid it's not even funny that would basically take F1 back to the 1970's, because "F1 1970 exciting, F1 now boring" and so on and so on.
If that's not a perfect example of the Dunning Kruger effect, I don't know what is.

And don't even get me started on the "I don't watch F1 anymore because X and Y reasons" comments from people that for some reason feel obligated to comment on every discussion about Formula One that they don't like Formula One.

Old people complain a lot. I don't like the 60's, maybe the 90's to 2000's, yes! I'll give it to old people like how they call out others who know a bit less about racing history and call them kids. It's human nature, you love your generation. You will not survive in the past, and you won't understand the future. F1 is healthy, not for the old, but for the people who actually enjoys it right now.

I'll share a little, about my son. He's 7, he's always in awe when I watch F1... He is very happy to see Lewis win. I'm not a fan of him, but my son is. It's like seeing my uncle cheering for Shumacher way back, and mind you I hate Shumi. There are people who enjoy the current situation. Let them have it. There are people who hates the situation. Let them have it too.

Bottom line is, F1 is only ending for those who don't like it.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%
  • 100% offline racing