Tracks Thomson Road Grand Prix - Singapore

I wonder if Wagnum finds himself stuck in one particular pole (Wagnum, be more careful, jk), then maybe it would work fine to have just a physical plane for the posts ? Everybody will be approaching them just from one direction anyway.

Thank you @mantasisg ! I tried this theory today, but with an 'L' shaped collision mesh (side and front impact only) and I didn't get stuck at all, even crashing at 270kph :devilish: Plus, only 33% of the tris now, too!

Last edited:
Dont want to clog your forum up with too many snaps but it is a pretty track so here's a couple more :)

8c1afa89b4.jpg

8c1af34f8f.jpg

Amazing stuff. This is another benchmark track.

Just an observation, give those 44gallon drums a bit more specular and shine, maybe some very slight rust and dents, they look like concrete at the moment. :)

Amazing stuff. This is another benchmark track.

Just an observation, give those 44gallon drums a bit more specular and shine, maybe some very slight rust and dents, they look like concrete at the moment. :)
While we're nitpicking here, also make sure they are aligned with the surface. Looks like it's sunken in a bit now :whistling:

Awesome work, love it.

Good point - one barrel was too low (fixed now), and I have changed the shader from KsPP to KsMultimap, with normal, specular and reflection. Some objects using this this shader look much better now, although the oil drums are old and matt so only really benefit from the normal map.

I just can't let go of this idea - I'm still undecided...

So much teasing going on..... It looks amazing and begs to be used by us.
Off topic but what are your plans after this track? You going to finish your other tracks or have a break from modding? Judging by what you have achieved here your other projects will be amazing. Keep up the great work.

I don't know... :O_o: Sometimes when I'm driving on the track and I see them I think "Wow, cool!" but other times they just look like a squadron of bombers flying over head :thumbsdown: Maybe if I can find the right way to show them in-game, maybe smaller groups, or further away..... maybe i should just focus on race track-type things and leave the birds out :unsure:

So much teasing going on..... It looks amazing and begs to be used by us.
Off topic but what are your plans after this track? You going to finish your other tracks or have a break from modding? Judging by what you have achieved here your other projects will be amazing. Keep up the great work.

Sorry, I don't mean to tease :rolleyes: Sometimes I get so excited by how something looks, or how the track is developing, I have to tell someone :D (I tried to show my wife but she insists on calling AC a game :rolleyes:)

My plans once Thomson Road is complete: 1- work on some car skins (never tried this but have offered to help a couple of friends) 2- re-commence work on Deutschlandring. Hopefully @mantasisg will have finished and released his W125 by then :D After that, I'm not sure. I fancy having a go at making Circuit Mont Tremblant, but I might just want to have a break for a while :whistling:

Wow, it might be a ways off, but would love to see Mont Tremblant as made by you. :confused:

...And yeah, sorry about the nitpicking, but everything is so well done, you've set a standard now you have to maintain. :p:D

It would be cool if the birds launch from the trees as the cars go by on the first pass like they are spooked and then if you want them still in just a couple flapping around that are curious.
Great track, love your work Fat-Alfie

Ahh, that's what I really want too - for a bunch of birds to errupt From the trees when the lights go out :cool: But they spawn and start moving as soon as the track has loaded :( I spoke to Aphidgod earlier and he had the same idea as me - to either leave them off completely, or to only have a few, and a low probability of them appearing, so you might see one or two every few races.

As Jeff Goldbloom said once, you spend so long wondering if you could, you never stopped to think if you should :rolleyes:

As Jeff Goldbloom said once, you spend so long wondering if you could, you never stopped to think if you should :rolleyes:
So true. I love detail as much as the next person, but you have to ask yourself what this level of detail would bring to a race track? Will people even notice when they're concentrating on driving? Could they be a distraction?

The thing I've noticed with flying birds in tracks is the artist only uses one size/style of bird. Like with so many environmental touches, 3+ sizes/styles provides that mix which looks less artificial.

A real-life example would be Portland International Raceway. Geese and seagulls are the dominant large birds, but then there are numerous robins, bluejays, & less frequent crows. Geese flap & sit, seagulls soar & sit, while the crows & bluejays sail between trees and then scavenge.

You'll find the right number of birds and frequency of appearance by testing. Possibly worth having a look at rF/rF2 tracks by VLM (MidOhio & Sebring) to see what they've done in that regard.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%