This week has been a bit "Set Up Intensive"

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
Its been a week of setup rather than racing for me.

I've spent something like 300-400 laps at Albert Park in the Formula ISI car trying to figure out how the guys in the FSR can get a 1:25s lap time.
This car as an F1 has all the toys setup wise and is incredibly setup delicate/responsive. I guess it stands to reason since it weighs so little and has so much power/aero/braking to adjust.
Its also a beautiful car to drive (eventually).

I didn't dare even look at FSR lap times at first lest I become totally disheartened.
Remembering that I do know this track very well like most I guess, I began the journey with a 1m:39s.
BTW all lap times unless stated are with 100 litres fuel and soft tyres no assists and a decent amount of rubber on track.

The first day yielded about 5 seconds as I tinkered with Dampers, Diff lock, cooling, brake maps. The day ended with 1:34.08.

The next session the law of diminishing returns kicked in and just as much work and further changes to dampers plus some camber adjustments and aero netted only 1.1 second for a 1:32.89.
I also changed controller settings.

I went back to the bible (Racer Alex's Advanced F1 Setup Guide) and resolved to try several things incl Springs, dampers (again), packers and the yet untried aspect of diff lock (pump).
This session netted 1.9 sec with a 1:31.02 and that was about it so far with race fuel and soft tyres.

With qualifying fuel and super-softs I managed a 1:28.6.
So I guess I had found about 8 seconds in 5 days. It was tiring but I learned more about set ups.

I had a look at Jerome Kweekels excellent Youtube video and he managed a 1:24.xxx in quali so its not done yet but its the closest I've come to what FSR drivers do. Next target is a 1:27.xxx

Last night for a break I did some setup work at Spa in the ASR 1992 car. I race the Minardi but the physics are the same so I do setup in the Footwork as its not so noisy or hectic in the cockpit. I just love the engine sound too and the simple clock dial tacho.
I had kindly been given a setup by a race winner in this car and was keen to contrast it to what I had done.
They were radically different and 4 sec a lap!!! apart (mine slower).
I can never just take and use a forwarded setup I need to know how and why so I started to one by one adjust things. The most telling thing was that my lap time just eroded on the straights for no apparent reason (similar aero). Mine was also slowing drastically and labouring in Eau Rouge. It was as if I was towing a trailer up there.
Anyway to cut a long story (slightly) shorter it was dynamic ride height. My car was literally scraping on the floor with the combined effect of wing/speed (and positive G in Eau Rouge). Packers and a tweak to 3rd spring and there was 2.5 seconds for you.
Secondary was radiator I was on 10 and the race winner on 1.
With those changed I was equalling his setup (not his driving).
Not all aspects of the borrowed setup were faster than mine and so I very selectively stole or was inspired in a direction by some not all parameters.
With these stolen Ideas and adaptions added I had a synthesis between the two and was now another 2 seconds faster.
That felt nice.

This morning I have been setting up the LMP1.
Usual URD trait of too much rear grip but got that working for me I think.

Anyway I had fun so wanted to share it.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi, particularly appreciated what you said on the ASR92 tweaking on 3rd springs for Eau Rouge, as I stumbled on the same issue losing 20 or 30 km/h in the compression, so I'll use the advice ;)
Could you tell us what was your current laptime on Spa? (for now I couldn't get under 1'54'')

Hi, particularly appreciated what you said on the ASR92 tweaking on 3rd springs for Eau Rouge, as I stumbled on the same issue losing 20 or 30 km/h in the compression, so I'll use the advice ;)
Could you tell us what was your current laptime on Spa? (for now I couldn't get under 1'54'')
Thanks,

Dont forget packers as well as third spring. It seems its the front that was the issue for me.
I have just yesterday got to 1:53.52. (100 litres fuel)
I was on 1:54 when I wrote the post.

Take a look at brake temps too. They run very cool at Spa 275-800 deg is optimum.
The car is nice at Spa!
Good luck.

yeah, packers too oc. well, i was in high 54s yesterday, I got to low 54s now. car is really great fun to drive once you get the hold on it (and such a great sound!), though a bit tricky to get that hold properly, downshifting in particular can be deadly if done too fast... :)
I guess one of the keys is in the differential setting*, in order to take certain turns at intended speed without too much US or OS. That and the lowest wings you can handle without losing too much time in the second sector.
But when I see the laptimes of AIs even when set at 120%, I tend to suspect that the top guys of the series are gonna be yet a few "light-years" below those 1'46''/1'47'' AIs seem to perform there.

and I'm already 4s off in S2 and 3s off in S3, so i don't dare to imagine how much off Kuba for example...

Anyway, good luck to you for that one, I think I'll just watch it from my couch... :p

*: granted you already got the aero balance properly set.

Post Script.
The race was tonight.
In practice I saw 1:48 from Kuba and started lowering my wings.
In the end I managed a high 1:50 which put me 2nd last on the grid.

Many drivers were running less wing.
I managed a 1 stop (many did a 2 stop) and made up some places and scored P5.
Was P4 with 2 laps to go but a car blasted past on Kemmel straight!
Nice fight from P4 to P7over the dying laps.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back