This might be a silly question but...

...do you guys have assists allowed in online rooms?

In Forza everyone used ABS as it was faster, and I'm having difficulty adapting to/setting the car up in this game as a result of lack of experience of driving a car with no ABS.

I'm just wondering if I could save myself the hassle! :D

To be honest Ryan i found that once you turn off Traction & ABS you actually become quicker, get practicing and you should see what i mean :)

I suggest you start with the Seat Leon as you can brake like a mad man with this and it is very easy to control :)

I have recently found that you need to let up off the brake at the end of your braking, otherwise your brakes lock and you get no steering then end up facing the wrong way.

• vmagics

I have recently found that you need to let up off the brake at the end of your braking, otherwise your brakes lock and you get no steering then end up facing the wrong way.
I'm pleased you said that. I found this too. I hear a lot about easing into braking, which obviously works but it's like you said, keep your foot down too long and off you go into a spin. I thought I might be doing something counter intuitive. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

I'm pleased you said that. I found this too. I hear a lot about easing into braking, which obviously works but it's like you said, keep your foot down too long and off you go into a spin. I thought I might be doing something counter intuitive. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

If you are learning to drive without ABS, it may help if you reduce the brake pressure to around 90% so the wheels wont lock as easy. Obviously this makes the brakes slightly worse, but its much better than locking it up into a wall.

• Chris Standring

Going off your comments, do you guys all run with 100% brake pedal settings then? Just checked and im running at the default 50% still, should i increase this?

I found driving without the aids a little daunting for the first 5-10 laps to, especially in some of the bigger cars and the RWD's, but im having great fun with them all now ive adjusted!

• Andrew Evans

nah, i think the pedal setting stays at 50% - they're talking about the brake pressure in the car setup screen... by default it's between 95%-100% and that's the thing you want to turn down a bit to help prevent locking up....

Without traction it's quicker - but ABS will always be quicker than without. You can brake later and make the initial turn-in and it helps stability.

I know how to brake and not lock up etc, it's just doing it uber-quickly which is bothering me - it's the stability and balance which I need to work on :p

With practice it will improve, I know when I first got a wheel I was locking up all over the place as I was braking too hard, with tips about turning the "Brake Pressure" down and being gentler on the pedal I rarely have a lock up issue now unless I brake insanely late and forget to ease off ;)

• Mikkow

The wheels get harder and harder to lock up the faster the car is going, and vice versa.

Since most PC pedals are no where near as good as race car brake pedals, I recommend setting the Brake Sensitivity (Controls > Advanced settings) to 0%. This will make the game apply less braking in the first 50-75% of the brake pedal travel under your desk, but inversely more when you go beyond that threshold.

The result is that you get a lighter more detailed touch when not applying much brakes, but it becomes more blunt and extreme when applying much. Since you only use the hardest braking when going fast anyway and don't need to modulate it then, it's a good trade-off. I find you need the most detail and accuracy when you're slowing down for a slow corner and you're trying to threshold brake.

The wheels get harder and harder to lock up the faster the car is going, and vice versa.

Since most PC pedals are no where near as good as race car brake pedals, I recommend setting the Brake Sensitivity (Controls > Advanced settings) to 0%. This will make the game apply less braking in the first 50-75% of the brake pedal travel under your desk, but inversely more when you go beyond that threshold.

The result is that you get a lighter more detailed touch when not applying much brakes, but it becomes more blunt and extreme when applying much. Since you only use the hardest braking when going fast anyway and don't need to modulate it then, it's a good trade-off. I find you need the most detail and accuracy when you're slowing down for a slow corner and you're trying to threshold brake.

You sure you meant 0 (zero) %?

• Mikkow

You sure you meant 0 (zero) %?
Absolutely. Try this Mr Timz0r (Swimz0r? lol. Had a friend called Tim): Hold your pedal down to 50% and then move that brake sensitivity from 0% to 100% and back. See how the applied brakes below (a white slider showing how much braking is applied) moves.

If you have it at 0%, you can move the pedal more and yet brake the same (except near the end of the travel where it's in return extra sensitive). If you have it at 100%, then it's incredibly touchy and even slightly pressing the pedal will set the brakes off much, but instead is less sensitive when you press it almost all the way down.

• Morgan Sowerby

Absolutely. Try this Mr Timz0r (Swimz0r? lol. Had a friend called Tim): Hold your pedal down to 50% and then move that brake sensitivity from 0% to 100% and back. See how the applied brakes below (a white slider showing how much braking is applied) moves.

If you have it at 0%, you can move the pedal more and yet brake the same (except near the end of the travel where it's in return extra sensitive). If you have it at 100%, then it's incredibly touchy and even slightly pressing the pedal will set the brakes off much, but instead is less sensitive when you press it almost all the way down.

Thanks! I never messed too much with the sensitivity for the brakes, but this makes perfect sense. I will have to try this when I get home from work.

• Mikkow

There's benefits to be had by doing the same with the steering, if having one of those 220 degree rotation wheels.

Timz0r - What's your name on GTR Evo? I'm running time attacks vs my dad which is insanely fun. I also managed to beat Darin Gangi, the guy who loved the Camaros so much in the STCC expansion and did a preview of it (Sim Racing Tonight). I've seen your TimThreads looking for help and complaining of being far from aliens on tracks. I'd love to see how I compare! My name on there is "Mikko " (and an added lastname I don't want to add on the forums). I have GTR evo and STCC expansion so lots to choose from. Also, what tracks and cars are you focusing on when it comes to the timeattacks?

I'm not focusing on time attacks at all mate, though I do use them to try and learn some lines through the corners. At the moment, my focus is on staying on the black stuff :p

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%