This is an offer of help for Rfactor 2

As the title says, I'm no expert and I found it all daunting to start with but If any newcomers want to know how to get into RFactor2 and what to download and what not to download plus some graphic settings just either reply in here or PM me. I've spent the last 2 weeks just on this game and it's flippin amazingly the bestest lol game I've ever played. It can seem a pain at first but trust me, it's soo easy. Anyway the offer is there if anyone needs it.

Cheers

I got this game last week, been doing lots of laps with the Formula Renault at Silverstone and like it a lot. AI races have been pretty good as well :thumbsup:.

Fairly painless but did have one issue when I installed the game. It didn't detect my pedals. Temporarily unplugging my Sli-Pro display fixed that issue.

1) What are the "must have" plugins (not cars and tracks) ?
The only one I've downloaded so far is the "pedals overlay" plugin.

2) There isn't a lot of weight to the wheel (comparing to AC and pCars). I don't really feel the rear end get loose and have to judge by the tyre scrub sound instead (kerbs and track bumps come through very strongly). Is that by design or some issue I need to sort out ?

3) What is a decent time with the Formula Renault at Silverstone (GP) ? Is there any leaderboards anywhere to check times ?

The 'FFB' in rF2 is done differently to every other/previous sim. They decided to relay only the torque feeling at the wheels to the steering and not use the 'slip angle' friction feedback we are all used to.

You can get more of the old feeling back with some work, if you feel this was a bad decision on their part. They seem to think that we are all aliens who know what the car is doing just by visual clues and tyre squeal :D

I changed the controller.json file to fiddle with it and I'm still working on it. So far I have reverted the type of FFB to 'Friction' and increased the wheel friction weighting significantly and it's starting to feel more useful. I also had to dial out a deadzone on my G25 by setting a torque minimum in that file.

As I said, I'm not done yet, but at least I can drive the sim a bit now.

2) There isn't a lot of weight to the wheel (comparing to AC and pCars). I don't really feel the rear end get loose and have to judge by the tyre scrub sound instead (kerbs and track bumps come through very strongly). Is that by design or some issue I need to sort out ?

3) What is a decent time with the Formula Renault at Silverstone (GP) ? Is there any leaderboards anywhere to check times ?

I'll chime in :)

1) May I suggest you look into the Delta Best plugin? Disclaimer: I made it so I find it very useful :) Also available here on RD in the resources section.

There is also Dashmeter pro if you want to use a phone/tablet to display telemetry/etc

2) There are crucial parameters in the Controller.json file that affect this weight feeling. I think the settings largely depend on the wheel model. What wheel have you got? RF2 FFB depth and detail is amazing though, especially when you consider the configurability.

3) There is http://rf2.gplrank.info/

Feel free to ask more questions :)

I got this game last week, been doing lots of laps with the Formula Renault at Silverstone and like it a lot. AI races have been pretty good as well :thumbsup:.

Fairly painless but did have one issue when I installed the game. It didn't detect my pedals. Temporarily unplugging my Sli-Pro display fixed that issue.

increased caster increases FFB in this car.
So does some increase in front tyre pressure.

I have problems in rF2 that the wheel just doesn't feel right. It feels a little loose around the center, or not smooth when I turn in to corners and I have to correct the turn. I've lowered the FFB strength, but I guess my question is that as my wheel is set to 270 degrees, what sort of steering lock should I be using, in general? In GSC I use 14 degrees, is it the same in rF2? Thanks.

@Connor Caple

Have a read of this mate, this might explain a bit more about your FFB and also the feeling of light steering you get. Also, I noticed you were on the isi forums looking for some help. That place seems to be all about who can out tech each other and If you notice, positives followed by negatives more a less on every thread. Not very helpful or friendly imo.

No problem mate,

Real road is rubber and rubber marble build up on the race track.
It has a big influence on force feedback, grip level and general feel of the car and track.

If you start rF2 with a car/track combo the first time. the track will probably be a "green track". It has a feel of a very dusty slippery track. In real live most tracks are frequently driven on and they are never "green" unless the track just build and driven on the first time.

to see the effect of real road: Lauch rF2 with a car on a track with some AI and press "ctrl-x".
after a few minutes you'll see the track surface change. On some tracks the visual rubber line is a bit overdone. But the effect is quite good.

"ctrl-x: is time acceleration" Don't press race unless you are an alien. :p Press ctrl-x again to stop the time acceleration first.

The AI always drive the exact same line, so there will be a very small stroke of rubber. And if you let the AI drive around for an hour, the marble build up is very noticeable.
But I mostly drive online with people, and they don't drive the exact same line. So the rubber build up is more spread and the marbles are more driven away.

Rain has an influence on the real road too. If a wet track starts to dry out, there will be a dry-line first and track rubber is flushed away a bit.

TIp: how to use real road offline without starting on a green track every time.

- start a session on a track offline and do a few laps (this creates a "user-autosaved" real-road.
- stop the session
- before you start the session again set the weather to "scripted"
- then you can select the "user-autosaved" real road.
- do this for every session. (practice, quali, race)

result: every time you want to do some laps on track you'll start with the real-road you've ended.
note: if you have driven a online session on that same track: it uses that real road and is saves the roal road you end with.
So if you end a online session on a wet track, you'll start your session offline on a wet track.

Welcome to the club: you just discovered the power of rF2. :geek:

14566257632_ede95252f5_b.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more bits from my make the experience better thread

Jim
Edit: (my uninformed remark about # of threads deleted) dor

I'll fire some ideas at you.
a)Start in a car thats predictable in handling on a track you know well. The ISI GT4, GT3 would be a good place to start. The Ferrari 458 Challenge and the Spec Miata also. I was at Spa tonight in this car and it was wicked.
The F2 car reacts quickly and doesnt generate much feel (and with little or no caster adj you cant make it generate much feel. Stick wiith a car until you have mastered it. EG I have done over 200 laps of Silverstone in the Lola LMP1 to do that.
b) Use a low powered car and no assists to learn to drive it then add power/complexity as you can manage. Career mode in RF1 did that nicely but RF2 hasnt got it yet.
c )Get a heap of laps in at Nazareth speedway, might sound silly but you can slide away to your hearts content, fiddle with setup and get to know what a car does at the limit. With a such a short lap it gives you much time cornering.
d) Use accellerated real road to get a lot of rubber down.
e) If you are not experienced with setup, pick a car that has setups available here.
f) Learn about fore aft weight shift and control. Same for braking.
g) Identify at what part of the corner you are not in control (braking, turn in Mid corner, exit.) Identify what is happening IE oversteer understeer, brake lock up.
h) Experiment with different steering lock angles in the garage, you might get better feel. Same with brake force, balance.
i) Adjust AI speed to your speed so U can race them, get some serious lappage then gradually increase them.
j) Read Ramon Van Rijns setup guide and start to get a feel for set up.
k) read all you can on real world technique.
l) FFB smoothing is for Logitech wheels mainly. If your wheel doesnt rattle put it on zero.
m) Enjoy your progression!

rFactor is a racing simulator developer: click here, who wants to reproduce a full racing experience from a to z. In my experience it can give all challenges a real driver has to overcome: Visual limitations at night, changing road conditions, tire management. This is why it's popular for endurance races.

Marc Webber's LeMans simulator test: click here: You can almost do the exact same thing at home: :geek:
You'll need the audi: click here, and the track, click here (track layout is an old version)

All these features has to be calculated. So under the hood it's a powerful simulator. A professional simulator doesn't alway's look hyper realistic, but the feeling should be realistic, and the challenges the driver has to overcome has to be realistic. These things are more importent to me that putting down a perfect hot-lap in a beautiful looking sim.

But i do agree that it's not a plug and play game out of the box. :redface:

Basically there are answers and help for all your issues it's all about ASKING AND BEING A NUISANCE LIKE ME LOLOL!!!

2) There are crucial parameters in the Controller.json file that affect this weight feeling. I think the settings largely depend on the wheel model. What wheel have you got? RF2 FFB depth and detail is amazing though, especially when you consider the configurability.

I've got a Fanatec CSW. Any special settings for this wheel ?

increased caster increases FFB in this car.
So does some increase in front tyre pressure.

Increasing the caster gave the wheel more weight :thumbsup:.

@Jim Brailsford I already read EVERY post relating to FFB and road feel at the official forums before I figured out what the real problem is, and it is as I stated in my post above - they changed the way FFB works for rF2.

If you want to feel anything other than steering torque, you have to do a LOT of work in the config file. I don't get 'light steering' at all.

The only problem with the 'comprehensive FFB thread' at the rF2 forums is that it is not that comprehensive. :roflmao:

Great for sorting out clipping and response curves, not so good for slip angles and Friction based feedback. You really have to search and dig around on those forums to find all the info about that. A lot of it is left to personal experimentation because the main posters are perfectly happy with the Steering Torque Feedback model, which I find lacking.

For anyone interested in experimenting, you need to play with the controller.json file. I'm going to experiment some more this week before the race on Wednesday night.

You also have options in there about where to direct Brake feedback effects and so forth. Unfortunately, the one-line comments in the file can leave you puzzling over exactly what some of it does. ;)

"Steering resistance coefficient":0.5,
"Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
"Steering resistance saturation":1.0,
"Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
"Steering resistance type":1,
"Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",

(EDIT: The above settings are pretty much working for me and feel much more like rF1/Race 07 :thumbsup:)

Last edited:
@Connor Caple sorry can't be more help mate but I'm not tech enough to understand what the problem is. I know when I race with my wheel it feels great and if it's too light I alter it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best FFB and physics I've ever played with so it'll need some body with more knowledge than me on this one I'm afraid.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%