Thinking of Trying VR......

...but have lots of questions first. I hope that someone can take the time to help me out.

1. First, which racing sims do NOT support VR at this point? (I own most of the ones that are popular on this forum, and currently race single screen).

2. My system is as follows: Intel Core i5-7400@3.00Ghz; 8 Gigs Ram; Windows 10; NVidea Geforce GTX 1060 - 3GB. I think it matches the recommended spec shown here . But how do I check the HDMI spec? And how do I add more USB ports? (How many USB ports are really needed anyway?)

3. I'm considering the Oculus Rift, but are there other VR rigs worth considering? (I see Oculus "Go" on Amazon at half the price, but I don't know how it compares). and,

4. Finally, a practical question. If you use a wheel with numerous buttons, how do you manage them when you've got your eyes covered by VR gear? (Probably a dumb question, but I'm completely new at this VR stuff!)

Thanks!

...but have lots of questions first. I hope that someone can take the time to help me out.

1. First, which racing sims do NOT support VR at this point? (I own most of the ones that are popular on this forum, and currently race single screen).

2. My system is as follows: Intel Core i5-7400@3.00Ghz; 8 Gigs Ram; Windows 10; NVidea Geforce GTX 1060 - 3GB. I think it matches the recommended spec shown here . But how do I check the HDMI spec? And how do I add more USB ports? (How many USB ports are really needed anyway?)

3. I'm considering the Oculus Rift, but are there other VR rigs worth considering? (I see Oculus "Go" on Amazon at half the price, but I don't know how it compares). and,

4. Finally, a practical question. If you use a wheel with numerous buttons, how do you manage them when you've got your eyes covered by VR gear? (Probably a dumb question, but I'm completely new at this VR stuff!)

Thanks!

3 - Most importantly don't buy an Oculus Go. They're standalone devices that run games themselves and can't / don't run racing sims.

2 - Your PC spec would definitely be entry level at best for VR. It would make me want to recommend Oculus because their software is more mature than Steam's in terms of making best use of hardware (Oculus call it Asynchronous spacewarp or something - it just means it tries to repeat frames to save your CPU and GPU processing time).

1 - The Codies F1 games don't have VR support, Wreckfest doesn't have VR support, rFactor and AMS don't have VR support, I think the rest of the 'big hitters' do.

4 - muscle memory! Train those thumbs!

1. First, which racing sims do NOT support VR at this point? (I own most of the ones that are popular on this forum, and currently race single screen

POPULAR RACING SIMS WITH VR
iRacing
Assetto Corsa
Assetto Corsa Competizione
rFactor 2
DiRT Rally (DiRT Rally 2.0 will not :( )
Project Cars 2
RaceRoom Racing Experience

POPULAR RACING SIMS WITHOUT VR
Automobilista
All Codemaster (except DiRT Rally 1)

I've been running an Oculus Rift fine on a GTX980 for the past two years, so a GTX 1060 will be OK. Obviously, the better the GPU the higher the settings you will be able to run.
If my 980 has the correct HDMI spec I'd be surprised if your 1060 doesn't. If you are unsure you can always run the Oculus compatibility check tool
If you are using the Rift for simracing only you need 1x USB 3.0 and 1x HDMI for the headset (the lead from the headset splits into two) and 1x USB 3.0 or 2.0 for one sensor.
You would need another USB 2.0 if you want to use the second sensor, but it is not really needed for simracing as you are not moving around the room. If you want to use the gamepad controller you would need a USB 2.0 for this, but again it is not necessary for simracing.

3. I'm considering the Oculus Rift, but are there other VR rigs worth considering? (I see Oculus "Go" on Amazon at half the price, but I don't know how it compares).

As said before, do not get the 'Go.' I'm happy with my Oculus Rift. It seems to have the most official support in racing sims. The HTC Vive (not Pro) is comparable, but I think more expensive. Both are 'first' generation VR. Those units that are purportedly 'second' generation or 'better' are much more expensive.

I bet you don't look at your paddles or buttons on your wheel each time you use them when you race with your single screen. Your brain & fingers soon know where they are without looking. I also use a separate button box in VR no problem.

Don't expect the same quality graphics in VR as you get with your single screen. The screen door effect and the fact that you will have to run lower graphic settings means it will not look as good. But the sense of sense of immersion and the overall simracing experience is AMAZING.

Last edited:
I had/ have similar specs as you have.
Got a Windows headset like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Headset-Windows-Reality-G0A20001WW-pc/dp/B0764L8YL7
Very happy with it.
Got a GTX 970 and had same cpu as you.
And have now ordered a new GPU.
While you can run the race sim's listed in post #3 it is not ideal.
AC works fine if you like AC? But you will have to lower the settings a good deal.
RF2 works also fine but you have to select the car / track combination careful to have a good experience.
PC2 will also run fine at reduced settings but will struggle with weather on.
Dirt Rally works.
F
I upgraded to a i7 7700k Cpu that I got for a very good price.
In VR the I7 @ 4.8ghz made a big improvement over the i5 7400.
Also I think the 3 gb 1060 might also hold you back.

That said even with those specs VR are great you just have to realize that you will have to run with settings towards low and after a while you will start to think about upgrading Cpu and Gpu! More $$$;)

And as people write finding the right buttons are not an issue at all.

I had/ have similar specs as you have.
Got a Windows headset like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Headset-Windows-Reality-G0A20001WW-pc/dp/B0764L8YL7
Very happy with it.
Got a GTX 970 and had same cpu as you.
And have now ordered a new GPU.
While you can run the race sim's listed in post #3 it is not ideal.
AC works fine if you like AC? But you will have to lower the settings a good deal.
RF2 works also fine but you have to select the car / track combination careful to have a good experience.
PC2 will also run fine at reduced settings but will struggle with weather on.
Dirt Rally works.
F
I upgraded to a i7 7700k Cpu that I got for a very good price.
In VR the I7 @ 4.8ghz made a big improvement over the i5 7400.
Also I think the 3 gb 1060 might also hold you back.

That said even with those specs VR are great you just have to realize that you will have to run with settings towards low and after a while you will start to think about upgrading Cpu and Gpu! More $$$;)

And as people write finding the right buttons are not an issue at all.
Thanks for that info! I've never heard of the Lenovo Explorer or Windows Mixed Reality, but the current price for this on Amazon is terrific! Between the price and the apparently east set-up (compared to the Rift and others), this may be a low-cost way for me to delve into VR!

Could you just clarify a few things for me?

1. You say both that you're "very happy with it", but then say "it is not ideal" for running for the race sims listed in a previous post. How bad is "not ideal", and if it's not ideal, what about it makes you "very happy with it"?

2. From what I've seen on Youtube, the Explorer requires only 1 available USB port and 1 HDMI port (and Windows 10). Is that correct?

3. What exactly is "SteamVR", and how does it relate to using VR in racing sims?

4. Generally speaking, in sims that support VR, how do you set-up the sim to "see" the VR unit is connected and use it?

Thanks - You've given me lots to think about.

1. Microsoft Windows Headset as they are called are great for Sim-racing as they use insideout tracking. No cameras or light houses to setup.
There are several brands all similar except Samsung which are using a Oled display with 1600 X 1440 res.
The more affordable ones like mine are using a LCD screen with 1440 x 1440 Res each eye.
Still higher than the rift but less pooping colors.
With the more affordable units like mine your IPD have to be 62-66 mm or you can't use them as there are no adjustment.
No VR headset are the best!
All are compromises with regards to colors/ clear display/ light weight / comfort / features and price.

2. Yes you need a 3.0 or higher USB port, a Hdmi 2.0 and Bluetooth adapter.
You can check with this app if your computer will work.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/w...heck/9nzvl19n7cnc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

3. SteamVR are Steam / Valve interface for VR games on Steam.
Rift uses it's own interface but can also use SteamVR.
WMR also got it's own interface but are also using SteamVR and with an app called Revive they can also run Rift games.
Basically all headset for PC can use SteamVR

4. It is a little different from Sim to Sim but all are easy to get in VR by clicking the right setting.
That's what SteamVR / Rift Home (Interface) are doing for you.

1. Microsoft Windows Headset as they are called are great for Sim-racing as they use insideout tracking. No cameras or light houses to setup.
There are several brands all similar except Samsung which are using a Oled display with 1600 X 1440 res.
The more affordable ones like mine are using a LCD screen with 1440 x 1440 Res each eye.
Still higher than the rift but less pooping colors.
With the more affordable units like mine your IPD have to be 62-66 mm or you can't use them as there are no adjustment.
No VR headset are the best!
All are compromises with regards to colors/ clear display/ light weight / comfort / features and price.

2. Yes you need a 3.0 or higher USB port, a Hdmi 2.0 and Bluetooth adapter.
You can check with this app if your computer will work.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/w...heck/9nzvl19n7cnc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

3. SteamVR are Steam / Valve interface for VR games on Steam.
Rift uses it's own interface but can also use SteamVR.
WMR also got it's own interface but are also using SteamVR and with an app called Revive they can also run Rift games.
Basically all headset for PC can use SteamVR

4. It is a little different from Sim to Sim but all are easy to get in VR by clicking the right setting.
That's what SteamVR / Rift Home (Interface) are doing for you.
Once again, thanks for the info. I've ordered the Lenovo Explorer (I couldn't pass up the excellent price at Amazon....), and look forward to giving this VR thing a try! If I get hooked, I see a CPU and Ram upgrade in my future! ;)

Once again, thanks for the info. I've ordered the Lenovo Explorer (I couldn't pass up the excellent price at Amazon....), and look forward to giving this VR thing a try! If I get hooked, I see a CPU and Ram upgrade in my future! ;)

Well, only two days in and I am indeed hooked. :D However, after playing with Windows graphics settings, etc, I find that the display in VR is indeed a bit blurry. FPS seems OK (but I don't know how to objectively measure it.)

So, based on my system specs, spelled out in this thread's top post, what's the bottleneck for VR at this point? CPU? Graphics Card? ..... and would upgrading either really make a noticeable difference in image sharpness on the headset?

Thanks!

Well, only two days in and I am indeed hooked. :D However, after playing with Windows graphics settings, etc, I find that the display in VR is indeed a bit blurry. FPS seems OK (but I don't know how to objectively measure it.)

So, based on my system specs, spelled out in this thread's top post, what's the bottleneck for VR at this point? CPU? Graphics Card? ..... and would upgrading either really make a noticeable difference in image sharpness on the headset?

Thanks!

Hmmm....Nobody has any thoughts on this? Help me spend my money! :D

what's the bottleneck for VR at this point? CPU? Graphics Card?
For the most part it's CPU. All that tracking takes some processing power. In many standard games that may not be so much of an issue, but simulators also use a lot of processing power.

Thanks!
Welcome to VR.
Your I5-7500 CPU could possibly be taken up to 3.8 or 4 GHz with a good cooling solution.
I recommend CoolerMaster Hyper 212EVO cooler.
I've had one for six years and it has never missed a beat at the $28 I paid for it.
I'd ditch the 3 GB version of your GTX1060 for at least the 6 GB version...or better yet, a good used GTX1070.
You can then up the game settings, which will benefit you mega.

8700k whit 1080ti
Its the basic to get a stable 90fps
If you want more... 2080ti

This is exactly my setup and I would agree if you want the least compromise for VR sim racing. Even with these components, however, you have to tone done some settings. But a powerful PC like this does have the advantage of being able to use supersampling to sharpen the image and is kinder on the eyes for me.

Thanks for those responses.

My overclocking days and fiddling with settings to make it work are over. I don't have the patience for it anymore. So, I was considering upgrading to this CPU, since it seems to be an easy, plug and play swap for my system. Any thoughts on how effective it might be in improving VR performance?

Thanks!

My overclocking days and fiddling with settings to make it work are over. I don't have the patience for it anymore. So, I was considering upgrading to this CPU, since it seems to be an easy, plug and play swap for my system. Any thoughts on how effective it might be in improving VR performance?

Thanks!
Not enough power... keep you money and wait to buy at least a 8700k and new mother board

Thanks!

An I7-7700K Processor which is the same family as your processor would work and be a good VR CPU. You could find one secondhand on eBay.

If you did go for a bigger upgrade to the newer 6 core CPU's such as the I5-8600k (or I7-8700k), that future proofs your PC for a few more years. But you'd need a new motherboard and you'd have to buy DDR4 RAM. So it's quite an overhaul in components and cost.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%