Thinking of getting iRacing, need advice.

Hey guys,

As everyone seems to say iRacing is the best sim out there, i was thinking of grabbing it.

I like to get everything through Steam, and this game is £8.00 p/month on there - but i have stumbled across this:

http://www.g2play.net/category/5623/iracing-com-3-month-membership-with-gen-6-ford-car/

Now, the problem i have is i'm not sure how this works and how to sign up... Would i just create a new account on their site and not use steam, then enter the code and away i go?

Thanks fellas :)

EDIT: I think i got confused, is the G2Play code just for use with one single car?

I had iRacing for 2-3 years, and I somehow got tired of it, still don`t know why, maybe because of that safety rating, or reckless driving (which there is of course), or a thought that they are polling the money from us (yes it can become quite expensive).
Please do not just listen ppl saying come here because of "pure racing expeirance" or "clean racing" and this kind of crap - there is clean if you reach the top level where are good/great drivers, but bellow is picture a bit different (tried it, went through it). But to come there it will take a few years.
--
So have you ever heard of Assetto Corsa? I have moved to it, for me it`s batter then iRacing. Batter physics, batter tracks, only MP has to be polished a bit more, and it will have and and batter then iRacing.
And besided, I spent over $1k for iRaicng in 2 years, for AC only 40€ (but don`t get me wrong, I would be willing to pay for AC even more, if needed).
Check this forum, there is plenty written, if not the most (it`s understandobale the best racing sim ever)!

$1000?
doubt, sir. Very much doubt.
Or you maybe are the most desirable customer ever who hates discounts, extra credits, participation bonuses, ....

Your point about clean racing;
Well, "hahahaha" isn't cutting it, let's say...

Before you form your opinion on my reply, i'll throw this in too;
I wish AC was a worthy replacement / alternative. I'm close to hating Tony G. Really really close. He f***ked an entire series and killed the greatest sub-community within the Road-side of iRacing out of nothing more than greed. I even attacked him for it on the forum and got a few times lucky i didn't got banned for my strong yet honest language.
The day the level and amount of top-simdrivers in AC matches that of iRacing, i wouldn't spend a day more on iRacing. NOT A SINGLE DAY. But, in contradiction to your doubtful statement, that simply isn't the case.

I was about to go sign up for the 3 months free trial but after looking at the car selection I laughed. Looks like they have a lot of great tracks but I don't like their car selection. Primarily because i hate NASCAR. And that seems to dominate their selection.
I'll stick with AC for now also. I've had great luck with clean fun club races through RD on AC.

Yeah that's what would drive me toward trying out iracing is the great things I've heard about the multiplayer and the community etc...
I'm not sure how long they've been around but from what I understand it's been quite a while. Which is why I'm sad when I look at the car selection. (I'm assuming their website is up to date with all the cars they have available?)
I suppose a 3 month trial wouldn't hurt though. Unless I stub my finger on my mouse when filling out the account app, that might hurt.

Getrag, what cars are you looking for? One of the problems with IRacing is the amount of cars. The temptation is to buy everything then jump in and out of different cars rather than concentrate on one or two. A lot of guys just race one series for a whole season and practise practise practise when not racing. Remember you can race most series every two hours and a race, including warm up and qualifying will last about an hour. The other thing to bear in mind is when you start you can only drive in rookie races so until you get your license up you cant race a lot of the other cars anyway.

but you can play them in test mode already to whet your appetite for what lies in store once you have your licence (determined by on track security) up to notch. here#s a current car list, ther should be something for everyone:

Road:
Williams FW31 2009 F1 car
Dallara Indy Car (DW12)
Lotus 49
Lotus 79
Star Mazda (formula mazda)
Skip Barber Formula 2000
HPD ARX 01c (old LMP2 car)
Riley MKXX Daytona Prototype
Radical SR8 V8
SCCA Spec Racer
Chevrolet C6.R
RUF Rt 12-R (there are 4 version of this car and it is a workaround for the Porsche license, but only two of them run in official series, one to carrera cup specs and one to gt3 specs)
BMW Z4 GT3
Ford V8 Supercar
Holden V8 Supercar
Ford GT (GT2 and GT3)
McLaren Mp4-12C GT3
Cadillac CTS-V
KIA Optima
Mazda MX-5 Cup (MIATA!)
Mazda MX-5 Roadster
(MIATA FOR PEOPLE WHO DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE!)
Ford Mustang FR500S
Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Pontiac Solstice Club Sport
Chevrolet Corvette DP
Aston Martin GT1

I probably forgot one. What I remember from their to do list is the current mclaren f1 car (ouch), the gt3 mercedes benz and audi and a btcc spec honda. with the lemans track in preparation there should be more gt1 and lmp cars on the way as well.

Cool thanks for the info! I'm primarily interested in GT2/3 cars.
So far in my very limited sim time they have been my favorite. I do like the idea of sticking with a single series for an extended time.
Do they run seasons or series?

one season is 12 weeks, there are four a year. within the season your best eight results count toward your final result, so if you do not own all the tracks at first it is no problem. however, be prepared to spend about 60 to 100 euros after some weeks for your first batch of tracks and one or two cars. there are discounts for buying in batches and once you have spent a hell of a lot of money (40 items or so) there is a general 25% discount on everything. click through my posts, from to time i have helped new iracers on their way by explaining stuff.

Some good stuff from Eckhart there. Are you aware of the licensing system? You will have to start in the MX5. Gain your D License then a good route would be Spec Racer Ford or Skip Barber (Skips race every hour), then into C Class and you have a whole host of choices.
By this time you will spending so much time trying to improve at these lower levels, and learning the cars in detail, you wont be thinking or worrying about a perceived lack of other vehicles.
As I said before, my biggest mistake is owning everything and dabbling with them all rather than concentrate on one series. And every time they bring out a new car.....I buy it - Corvette DP last week - wow what a great car.

I started in the mx 5 like most the wife took the mickey because she owns one in real life.

progressed from there, bought the vw and the RUF, been running the advanced mx5 and ruf cup, awesome series and every race is different. in between those races, I've been toying with the NASCAR stuff, I thoroughly enjoy it, even though i have hardly any idea how to go faster. I'm looking forward to driving in the GT races, of course, but not until it is within my ability. This RUF is a handful at times, so I am in no hurry here. I'll probably try both the MX5 and RUF season and see how i get on.

here, dug this up from another thread in which we posted to help a chap understand the system. this part took me ages to figure out, i totally overlooked its significance at first: "... way more important to figure how iRacing works, i.e. as an online service rather than a game. Make yourself aquainted with how the Safety Rating (SR) and iRating system works to understand how to progress within the system, check out which official iRacing series need which tracks and which cars you can run at which SR level. (You start as Rookie and then move up from D to A. iRating is I think not shown before you enter safety-level D, so don't worry if it does not show up.)
Also important: There is information about your opponents strength and safety rating ON the cars ingame: Somewhere on the back each car is color coded according to the safety-level reached by the player controlling it: Rookie red, D orange, C yellow, B green, A blue. In a race, cars are numbered according to the players' strength in the iRating system: Highest ranked player on the grid gets the #01, second best the #02 a.s.o. This is regardless of the default number you can assign in the "paint your car" screen and gives you a good overview of how you stand compared to the others, e.g. in race you get assigned #05 and come up on a player who is ahead but sports the number #19. This chap is probably easier to overtake than the chap with the #02, however, being not rated so high, his gameplay might also be a bit less predictable, you never know ...
Best scroll through the iRacing threads here at Race Department, we have had many "what do i do at the beginning?" threads, everything you need to know will be in there. " cu on track

A Mitchell.
I've only driven one advanced mx5 race, I'm about 3 seconds per lap down at the minute, but then I am newb, and I think consistency will bring about faster lap times.

Edit: I think I'm using your RUF paint.

I gave iRacing a try months ago and left rapidly after getting D licence. I like GT and was disappointed by the Cadillac (no grip feeling, actuel no feeling at all that made me lost control with understanding anything).
I went back last week to try the new build and dynamic grip. Maybe it's only placebo effect but I felt it totally differently. Now I feel the car, can play with it and I really enjoy.
Therefore I decided to go further.
My available time is limited and 25' race on the evening is perfect. Every night I can find races with full grids and drivers at my level (at least not so much aliens and limited number of turn 1 heroes), I can practice with other cars, etc... And licence system is a good way to learn clean racing.
So, I invested in several circuits as first, to continue the season 4.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 396 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 267 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 255 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 186 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 314 13.0%