Thinking about making a GTR2 sound mod

Recently, I found the "Sounds of GTR2" (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sounds-of-gtr2.22872/) sound mod for all the original content cars in GTR2, and was really hyped to try it. Just did, and I wasn't impressed. I had deluded myself into thinking it might be kinda rough, but somewhat comparable to the sounds for the RSS GT pack for AC, for example – NOPE, it's definitely not even close.

But it got me thinking: the only thing not yet upgraded in the Anniversary Patch and HQ MODS (I believe) is the engine sounds. Perhaps it's time we tried to bring the sounds of GTR2 into the 2020s?

So before going to sleep, I dug around for some YouTube videos that could serve as high-quality samples for onboard sounds. And there's a fair amount out there, especially for some cars. I'll post these links below. Some of these will be well-known to many out there, but others are recent additions to the world of YouTube onboards!

So, a quick update.

I've successfully maimed and butchered some audio from a YT video of the Ferrari 550 using some pitch correction in Audacity ('Sliding Stretch' is a life-saver) to artificially make samples with stable RPMs. Now I have 3 on-throttle sounds: low, mid, and high. After a backup of the originals, I put the new sounds into the relevant folder. I then booted the game and hopped back and forth between a time trial at Laguna Seca and clueless screwing around with the .aud file trying various values for the relevant EngineRPM sections.

One thing I've already learned is that my samples, as they stand now, are a bit too quiet. Right now the tranny overpowers them, which makes the car (when using my new samples) truly sound too much like a vacuum cleaner! Sorry Shovas :roflmao: Easily fixed, but that's next on the to-do list. Using EQ to boost the bass and cut high frequencies from the engine samples is probably also a good idea to mitigate the 'vacuum' problem.

So far the results don't sound very good. BUT I've heard worse, honestly. And if nothing else, I'm proud to have something in-game, even if it's super preliminary. Plus I'm amazed how seemingly small changes to the overlaps and 'Natural RPM' values in the EngineRPM sections of the .aud file can sometimes transform the quality of the sound that comes out of GTR2. So I clearly have lots more learning-by-experimenting to do. :)

FYI I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to this project (have a busy time coming up at work) but once I have something passable and tangible to share, I will do so.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Ferrari 550 (my personal favourite FYI :p)

Lister Storm
NOTE: this car seems extraordinarily hard to find decent onboards for... this, as far as I could tell, is the ONLY one of any quality on YouTube

Reiter Murcielago

I have already made new sounds for F550. Murcielago in this video is not the correct version. GTR 2 has older spec R-GT which has more power and more agressive sound than R-SV which came out in 2010.

I'm curious enough about the topic of improved sim sounds that I'll try to remember and check in on this thread. My sim racing days go way back and hearing this topic and the name DucFreak brought back some great memories. I think this probably was a big factor in my desire to have the engine bay mic'd up in my race car once I had an action camera installed. I have actually been rather disappointed with the modeled sounds for cars with newer sims I tried recently. Maybe authenticity isn't as big a focus now as it once was or I just haven't tried the right mod. Still, I kind of expected a bigger leap forward in the decade that has passed since. Probably a testament and dedication to all the great modders and the amount of work they put in.

Last edited:
Ferrari 575 GTC sound mod is available. Check it out here https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ferrari-575-gtc-sound-mod.41068/

Future sound mods will also be posted here.
And I'm excited to see someone else might be working on this! I see the 550 sounds you had posted were from RSS, so whoops, that's a big no-no – are these 575 from RSS as well, or are they newly created? Sorry to have not checked RD in a good month or so – things have been just nuts at my work, so haven't had any time to work at this since my last post. Haven't forgotten about this though!

I'm curious enough about the topic of improved sim sounds that I'll try to remember and check in on this thread. My sim racing days go way back and hearing this topic and the name DucFreak brought back some great memories. I think this probably was a big factor in my desire to have the engine bay mic'd up in my race car once I had an action camera installed. I have actually been rather disappointed with the modeled sounds for cars with newer sims I tried recently. Maybe authenticity isn't as big a focus now as it once was or I just haven't tried the right mod. Still, I kind of expected a bigger leap forward in the decade that has passed since. Probably a testament and dedication to all the great modders and the amount of work they put in.
Glad to have you in here! Yeah, dunno why more progress hasn't been made on many games, but you're right. Hopefully having official licenses will help – might give devs the access needed to mic up all the cars properly etc. Although I've never played it (gasp) seems like ACC is an example of this: the engine sounds, chassis flex and gravel stones sounds, from vids I've seen, seem divine. Anyway, don't wanna go too far off topic in here.

Anyone in the GTR2 community back in the day know of a Richard Matthews? According to his video descriptions (see below) he did sound modding for Wildman's FIA GT 2000-02 mod (that was hosted on F1Classic, apparently). Turns out he did pretty decent interior and exterior sounds for GTR2 for the 550, the Lister, the Marcos, the Viper, and more! Check out these videos from 4-5 years ago...

For all his videos, check this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkkuul4Ctjwjot_4UZwwIpg/videos
Viper:
550:
Lister:
Marcos:

EDIT: Does this mod (which includes the 2000-2002 cars) hosted here on RD include these sounds, by any chance?

Last edited:
Anyone in the GTR2 community back in the day know of a Richard Matthews? According to his video descriptions (see below) he did sound modding for Wildman's FIA GT 2000-02 mod (that was hosted on F1Classic, apparently). Turns out he did pretty decent interior and exterior sounds for GTR2 for the 550, the Lister, the Marcos, the Viper, and more! Check out these videos from 4-5 years ago...

For all his videos, check this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkkuul4Ctjwjot_4UZwwIpg/videos
Viper:
550:
Lister:
Marcos:

EDIT: Does this mod (which includes the 2000-2002 cars) hosted here on RD include these sounds, by any chance?

Wow I love all these sounds

I wish more effort was put towards engine notes. Anybody who has walked the paddock knows what I'm talking about. There's so much more to engine notes than what we get in sims.

Threw something together for the MC12 using that onboard of the vitaphone GT1, thanks for finding that!

All I really have to do is remove the slight transmission whine from some of the samples but here’s what I’ve got regardless, onboard sounds are basically done.
Very nice! Slowly but surely new sounds are coming together. Now only Murcielago is still missing new sounds. (among GT1 cars) I have new sounds for F550, F575 and Lister Storm. They are available per request. Saleen and Corvette will be coming in the future as a part of a large soundpack which will introduce new sounds for majority of the remaining cars. Here is the best quality video for Murcielago samples

and WAV file from other onboard ready to be worked with. Maybe someone can work their magic on it. https://www.mediafire.com/file/w7be...GT1_Race_Car%2C_at_Buttonwillow_MOD3.wav/file

Very nice! Slowly but surely new sounds are coming together. Now only Murcielago is still missing new sounds. (among GT1 cars) I have new sounds for F550, F575 and Lister Storm. They are available per request. Saleen and Corvette will be coming in the future as a part of a large soundpack which will introduce new sounds for majority of the remaining cars. Here is the best quality video for Murcielago samples

and WAV file from other onboard ready to be worked with. Maybe someone can work their magic on it. https://www.mediafire.com/file/w7be7axijsmdfqb/AlphaLuxe_tests_the_Lamborghini_Murcielago_R-GT%2C_GT1_Race_Car%2C_at_Buttonwillow_MOD3.wav/file
3:20 heaven lol

Last edited:
Great work @Birdatoo and @Need_For_Speed! Hope the other sounds (Ferrari, Saleen, Lister, Corvette, etc) will be shared soon so we can try em out. :) Looking forward to it, whenever they're ready.

Work and other life has been getting in the way, but I have a little time to devote to this again. What cars remain that I could try my hand at? The Viper and NGT cars, possibly?

By the way, was doing a fresh GTR2 install last night and remembered that 2000-2 mod I found on YT – which I found on eSport Racing and EEC! I don't belong to EEC, so couldn't try that one, but sadly the ESR version doesn't have the sexy Richard Matthews sounds. Also just looked in the mythical TrippTeam server, and don't see any FIA GT mods in there. So anyway, if anyone ever does track down those sounds, please let me know – and more importantly, share them here on RD.

Register at EEC to get Maxellero 2000-2009 fia gt mod : in fact it is 1997-2009 as he has added all the years now. Some 97-99 cars models are low poly so not as good as next years, on the contrary later 2008-2009 years are nicer.

I would like to say that the Enduracers mods back in the day were exceptional for their sounds and could represent a lot of the base cars for GTR2, so much so that I still use these sounds to this day. I think it was originally a Rfactor mod but ported to GTR2 (as all sounds can be with some file editing). It doesn't seem the GTR2 port has survived too well online though.

Hello again all -- a few things:

(1)

@GTR233 made a fantastic recommendation with the Maxellero FIA GT 2000-2009 mod available at EEC. Thank you! In particular, it has the sound mods I found in post #31 above. @roby13, the mods in #31 were posted on a YouTube channel called Richard Matthews, so I assumed that was the modder who made them. Instead, it turns out they were made by Mildrew, who was apparently active on NoGrip back in the day ( I wasn't around back then haha... if only)

I liked the Mildrew sounds so much I decided to quickly adapt them for the HQ Anniversary Patch cars (literally just copying and pasting text in AUD files haha) and will be posting them here momentarily. Mildrew, if you ever see this -- I love your work, I credit you fully with the A+ work behind the sound mod, and I'm just trying to share it with more people and ensure it's not lost. However, if you aren't okay with me having done what I did, just let me know, and I'll happily take my mod down.

(2)

@PassiveObsessive also made a very good suggestion about the rF1 Enduracers Endurance Series mod. The sounds are wonderful! I had forgotten this existed. And between the GT cars' sound mods in Enduracers and Mildrew's mods, you could have modded sounds for the complete 2003, 2004, and 2005 content!

Thing is, Enduracers post their content under a Creative Commons No Derivatives license, meaning they don't want anyone making and sharing modifications to their original work. I did send them an email asking if I could do a 1 to 1 port of some of their sounds to GTR2 (it would only be copying relevant portions of textfiles and renaming appropriately, after all -- which is in the spirit of their license), but have had no response. Assuming I won't get one at this point. Oh well.

(3)

Excited to see, eventually, what anyone else has been working on with sound mods. Looking at your YouTube channel, @Birdatoo, looks like you've been playing with sounds for the 550 and 360, not just the MC12. They sound great -- especially the 550 ;) -- and hoping you share them when you're ready. Also, had no idea you worked so prolifically on Speed Dreams -- awesome job mate. (For those who don't know, Speed Dreams is a fully open source racing sim, meaning all the physics code, AI code, and all is freely available to see and modify -- verrrry cool) And @Need_For_Speed, dunno if you've made any progress with your project, but hopefully you can share your progress if/when ready as well.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 105 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.1%