Things With Wheels That Are Cool

Cool looking! Not particularly fast though.
steammotorcycle.jpg

Last edited:
afaik this thing is a bit meh, as the W of blowers you see (and the throttles) are fake. Belts do turn but the blowers are empty, with the actual intakes and blowers hidden underneath. I'm not sure if a two-stroke diesel does need a throttle either.
..I mean it's still 24 cylinders in a V, but a little less extreme :coffee:

I imagine it is much more comfortable in the seat!
Not in my experience, but it is much more aerodynamic. You can get used to a recumbent bike, but I've always felt like they were awkward.

Many quality modern bicycle seats have raised pads and a valley between them. I used to ride over 10K miles per year on my various bicycles

For mountain biking the recumbent layout is totaly useless and at slow speeds you can't get your weight over the cranks.

I imagine it is much more comfortable in the seat!
I see quite a few people use recumbent bikes similar to that where I live, one even has a full aerodynamic shell (looks like the cockpit of a sailplane). But I can't understand people using these in the city, because you're so low down that you will not be seen in traffic, not even by other cyclists.

I see quite a few people use recumbent bikes similar to that where I live, one even has a full aerodynamic shell (looks like the cockpit of a sailplane). But I can't understand people using these in the city, because you're so low down that you will not be seen in traffic, not even by other cyclists.
Very true. The most popular bikes in cities worldwide are completely upright, not particularly fast and built like tanks. We don't see many bikes like this in the US.

None of my bikes are for commuting. Then again I've been working from home for 24 years.

Last edited:
Unicycles are cool!

Unicycling.jpg

I feel a little bad derailed the momentum of the post.. But anyway..

Just got a recumbent recently and tried going to the store with it today and .. gave up. I ride.. used to ride more, from road bike, to mountain bike, then trials. Yeah, I ride uni a little. Recumbents are different animals, I found. I was hoping to get my feel wet and work toward a pedal-assist recumbent to commute with. But my rear wheel was locking up going down my steep gravel driveway, then I stay in a straight-line climbing.

Actually city is where bikes are best for, but probably not recumbents.

I might still try to go with a recumbent trike/velomobile though.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back