Things Are Happening at Reiza Studios

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS Update.jpg

Silence isn't always golden, and the silence from Reiza Studios has been deafening recently... leading many to remain curious as to what is happening behind the scenes..

As usual, the popular Brazilian team have been hard at work adding yet more goodness to both the venerable Automobilista title and the upcoming 'Reiza Pack' rFactor 2 DLC, however it looks like the level of work and time it will take to make everything happen has been a bit underestimated by Reiza, leading head man Renato Simioni to re evaluate just when things are likely to appear in the public domain. If recent form is anything to go by, I'm sure the wait will be more than worth it...

Taking to the Reiza forums today, Renato had the following update to give fans eager to know what is upcoming in the near future:

I understand and apologise that our communication hasn´t been the best lately, and our time estimates even less including the initial post...

Historically silence from us is not the sign of things stopping but rather too much stuff going on with a bit of uncertainty, and that´s the case again here including a couple of big developments since this topic was created.

With that said and without going too far making premature announcements, here is what you can surely expect in the very short term (3 weeks max):

• A new Automobilista update
  • Announcing a new partnership that will bring free new (previously unforecasted) cars to AMS before the end of the year
  • Announcing new official AMS competition
  • Release of rF2 Bundle
And there is more still to come before the year wraps, but we´ll get to that once we´re through with the above..
Good news for AMS fans, good news for rF2 fans and frankly good news for sim racing in general.

The next three weeks should be pretty exciting times indeed!

Automobilista is a PC exclusive racing game from Reiza Studios, and can be purchased from the Steam network.

If you enjoy Automobilista then take your experience to the next level with RaceDepartment! Join in our brilliant online Racing Club to take part in organised online race events, or head over to the Automobilista Modding Forum to have a look through our community made content, or if this isn't enough to keep you occupied, check out the general AMS sub forum and involve yourself in our wonderful sim racing community.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Excited to hear of further, unexpected, development coming to AMS? Looking forward to hearing of the new announcement? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Probably because they are not licensing it to others?! Current is id Tech 7, and this is what they said about id Tech 5 years ago:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/69830/carmack-talks-rage-development-doom-4-and-pc-trends
But Carmack is not a part of Id software anymore and several games uses the engine, and notninly ID software ones : wolfenstein games have been made by another developper, so the engine is not an id software exclusivity anymore. Let's wait Rage 2 and see what is going to happen. There is no reason that the engine has a problem with the racing part of the game,.the old version used for rage worked fine. Well I assume the issue is how ID software can be available for other developpers. But with the relaunch of doom, rage, the wolfenstein games, I assume the studio is bigger than it was after the development of rage which was not a huge hit and which showed the limits of the id trch and the mega texture. The id tech is not the same nowadays and there are games to prove it.

Last edited:
they are all under bethesda
Indeed, and it's not the core business of bethesda to license engines. But a good engine can reveal opportunities, we never know. For sure, this would require hiring new talents and an additional investment, but it depends on the demand. I think the void engine from arkhane studios (bethesda) is based on the id tech. The engine is not a small internal engine, some people must be already collaborating with other companies.

But Carmack is not a part of Id software anymore and several games uses the engine, and notninly ID software ones : wolfenstein games have been made by another developper, so the engine is not an id software exclusivity anymore. Let's wait Rage 2 and see what is going to happen. There is no reason that the engine has a problem with the racing part of the game,.the old version used for rage worked fine. Well I assume the issue is how ID software can be available for other developpers. But with the relaunch of doom, rage, the wolfenstein games, I assume the studio is bigger than it was after the development of rage which was not a huge hit and which showed the limits of the id trch and the mega texture. The id tech is not the same nowadays and there are games to prove it.
I get near 90fps with uber settings in 4k with very little CPU on Wolfenstein 2 and it looks fantastic , i could imaging those graphics in rF2/3 , AMS 2 would be amazing . But I fear we will be using these gmotor engines for another 5 years unless Kunos succeed with UE4 in ACC , then Sims will all be UE based . Not at all a bad thing if performance and AA can be sorted .

I fear we will be using these gmotor engines for another 5 years unless Kunos succeed with UE4 in ACC , then Sims will all be UE based .

Only Kunos has the technical know how to do this right now, as they have the brains behind the ac engine still developing for them.

None of the developers that license the isi motor engine have Gjon developing for them.

ISI is most likely doing their own thing, hope they are creating a new modern engine.

If anyone else can pull it off, I would bet on Sector 3 Studio, as the Race Room graphics engine is a hybrid of the isi gmotor engine and sector 3 own RendR graphics engine. So they do have experience in creating a graphics engine, look how beautiful Race Room looks, compared to the other sims that use the same technology.

Only Kunos has the technical know how to do this right now, as they have the brains behind the ac engine still developing for them.

None of the developers that license the isi motor engine have Gjon developing for them.

ISI is most likely doing their own thing, hope they are creating a new modern engine.

If anyone else can pull it off, I would bet on Sector 3 Studio, as the Race Room graphics engine is a hybrid of the isi gmotor engine and sector 3 own RendR graphics engine. So they do have experience in creating a graphics engine, look how beautiful Race Room looks, compared to the other sims that use the same technology.
Haven't SMS done something similar with their madness engine ? an offshoot of the gmotor engine with SMS touch .

Stefano and his team definitely have the skills to pull that off. ACC and before that AC have proven that beyond a doubt. Interestingly, and this is by no means a secret, the guy that has built the graphics engine together with him(1), Giovanni Romagnoli, has joined Studio 397 two years ago and has since been involved in upgrading our engine to DX11, improving the rain effects and many more things. Last year we also added Peter Nicholls to the team, who has a background developing many graphics engines, amongst which the one in Project CARS. Peter and Gio, together with our artists and other developers, are currently working on the new material system and PBR shaders.

This is true. Gjon however is not the driving force behind the gMotor engine. That is Joe Campana who, like Gjon, is still working at ISI today.

I will let them comment on what they are doing when they are ready to, because at this point I know as much as everybody else here.

Honestly, I think both Race Room and Automobilista did a good job pushing the original gMotor engine by improving the shaders and possibly implementing a few other tweaks. I would not say Sector 3 are the only ones capable of creating a graphics engine or integrating an existing one. But time will tell! :)

(1) https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assetto-corsa/details

Probably because they are not licensing it to others?! Current is id Tech 7, and this is what they said about id Tech 5 years ago:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/69830/carmack-talks-rage-development-doom-4-and-pc-trends

Thanks for clearing up my random Monday morning thought. Whilst we have your attention Marcel any thoughts on this ..... ?

The sounds are more than acceptable yes, but two huge quality of life improvements ought to be made with

1) the all in one crash, suspension, car flooring sound - in fact I've never been absolutely sure what it represent, other than it sounds like a large piece of oak being twisted then taking a battering on a 19th century tea clipper, and it is bloody awful

I do realise audio files representing impacts can be as complicated as you wish, speed of impact, damage sustained, environment etc etc, but surely we can do better than the current representation? It's such a small thing but, as stated, even a simple improvement in the base sounds would be a lovely quality of life bonus across all content

None of the developers that license the isi motor engine have Gjon developing for them

Well, as for any job, there is talent everywhere and talent can be bought. And it seems this industry does not have any problem to make international recruitments. The issue musy be the cash management, how.to pay these people during the development of the engine if you don't have any cash entry. That's why passionate people can do it, without being paid, and why companies have to be able to ensure regular revenues before launching such a project. So it's indeed difficult for a new comer to start his own thing. The inly way to do it must be to develop a sim based on an existing engine and starting at the same.time to build something new. Still, a lot of cash but it's easier to finance 2 projects at the same time with one being easier and which will generate revenues when it's.launched in order to keep on financing the other project. Some early access or kickstarter can help after that. Well, I would not try to get into that business personnally... :roflmao:

I do realise audio files representing impacts can be as complicated as you wish, speed of impact, damage sustained, environment etc etc, but surely we can do better than the current representation? It's such a small thing but, as stated, even a simple improvement in the base sounds would be a lovely quality of life bonus across all content

We have not focussed much on the base sounds. Yet. It's still on our list.

Any update on this? On Friday it will have been 3 weeks and it seems like there's silence.

Specifically the rF2 Reiza Pack. It was originally announced to come in August, then again by the end of September. Is it going to be delayed a third time?

here is what you can surely expect in the very short term (3 weeks max):
  • A new Automobilista update
  • Announcing a new partnership that will bring free new (previously unforecasted) cars to AMS before the end of the year
  • Announcing new official AMS competition
  • Release of rF2 Bundle
The opening post with this 3 weeks gap was made at the beginning of the month so we're getting close…:) The beta got a bunch of fixes so Reiza is certainly hard at work. It is quiet on the communication side, not behind the scene.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 487 39.1%