The 'What's going on in your game' thread

As someone who is interested in making mods altering balance and gameplay tweaks - I'm always interested in how others are finding the game and what their experience has been. I am sure lots of people also have some stories to share - so thought I'd start this.

I decided for my first play-through (after testing) was to try the Manager Mogul Challenge - So began with Archer (using medium races).

For a team with 7th place expectation, they're actually really powerful thanks to their factory upgrade. I aggressively developed the car, keeping Sadel and Rogers as my main drivers, and Sadel managed to actually come in second overall, along with my team coming second. The thing about the starting condition of this lueage, is that you really don't need to come in 1st or 2nd very much at all to get high in the points, as there is only a 1 point difference between any place. So Archer, which promotes two drivers to be equal, having a decent consistency (along with the fact that the leaders start from the back) makes for an easier then most championship.

The next year, I hired Rodrigues in place of Rogers (who wasn't that good)... Little did I know Rod is massively overpowered. He won the championship with very little help from me. The car was in the midfield now, but Rod probably didn't need it. The Constructors was ours by a small mile.

I rejected promotion though, as I realised my Finances probably wasn't going to cope in Tier 2 - (I would have been right) so did the next season, Winning in an even more dominating manor. I don't understand how Rod can go from last to first, but he can - and with 10Million saved, up we go.

I was expecting that Asia would have been a short one season visit for us - especially seeing as the championship had adopted a "Top 6 Points finish only" Rule. I didn't think I would have a single point - but it turned out not to be the case. I had since resigned Sadel as a number 2 driver, and gave my best parts of Rod to see if he could get a point. In the first race, he was in 7th with 4 laps to go, with a gearbox on 4% durability. Not about to bring him in with the chance of a point, he stayed out and kept the gearbox safe, but didn't score - a real nail-biter at the time.

However, through the season, Rod improved his positions, coming 3rd more often then not, while Sadel picked up some points here and there. We came third in the championship overall, which was huge for the fact we had just promoted, and started with about the 7th worst car.

I weighed up my options at this point. I could try and take Archer to the World Title, and develop the HQ more and get the car in shape and then work my way through to and up the top tier... but I know my next playthrough will be to take Predator to the top - so looking at the jobs at the end of the season, I saw Not-Farrari's manager's Job was at risk. I put in my name, and a day later, I joined them just before pre season.

They had come second that year. I was eager to see what kind of car they had, and was met with this

2R4qObORe.png

So Not-Farraro really like to push the rules (there is a further 5 triangles which I didn't get on the screen). But at least the car is in good shape for next year.

I am hoping to complete the challenge this season - as I had done two races and 12 constructors points ahead (top 5 points system). I signed two nearly 5 star drivers in McGraff and Flare (sp?).

But a little bit of me was sad to see Archer go, so I checked up on them. - They're still third on their Asia League - with Rod getting One win from two races - so he's still overpowered and it's nice to see that the team is doing well! :D

Season 1: ZRT Autosport, ERS
Probably one of the best picks to start with, nothing good except for drivers. Could snatch a few somewhat decent results, mainly due to the efforts of Dembélé. Valdés was better on paper, but boy he never delivered in the races, always complaining about things over team radio. Ditched him after round 8, brought in overpowered Rodrigues. Also paydriver Bjelland as test driver, to get some extra money. Best decision I could make (referring to ROD), he took 1 win and 1 more podium in the last 2 rounds, getting me up from 9th to 6th in the standings. He himself was only 7 points behind Valdés.
WCC: 6th
WDC: 13th (DEM), 18th (VAL), 19th (ROD)

Season 2: ZRT Autosport, ERS
Situation to start was quite similar to S1, car and HQ bad, employes ok-ish, drivers decent. Ditched Dembélé though, and promoted Bjelland to get more money from his sponsors. Bad move. He finished last in pretty much every race. Rodrigues on the other hand, miracle worker. 3 wins, 3 more podiums, and the drivers' title in the end. In what was the worst car on the grid, according to the overview on the home monitor. Earned me some good money, which I invested in the HQ. It still remained the worst of all ERS teams though. Bjelland got demoted back to tester after round 9, and I hired young Dutchman Thenu. In the one race he did, he almost scored more points than Bjelland in the previous 9 (22-31). Thanks to Rodrigues' efforts I could improve 1 place in the constructors'.
WCC: 5th
WDC: 1st (ROD), 19th (BJE), 20th (THE)

Season 3: ZRT Autosport, ERS (in progress)
You really should think that the situation at season start would slowly improve. Far from it though. While the chassis values appear to be decent, it's still the worst car overall. Same for the HQ, which I try to keep improving (currently lacking a bit of money though). Season started decent, with a 1-6 in Russia. Rodrigues kept the results coming in the next races as well, always finishing between 4th and 6th. He currently sits in 2nd in the standings. Thenu with 3 dismal races, finishing at the back end of the field. Last 2 rounds went better again, after 11th in Belgium the first podium in Germany with 3rd. Problems appearing on the horizon though, as Rodrigues' contract expires, and he no longer wants to race in ERS.
WCC: 2nd
WDC: 2nd (ROD), THE (16th)

So, I have been running a game based on my Balance Changes mod. I finally decided to sit down and use it to play an actual season. This will be the Ultimate Predator Challenge as my changes are designed to make things very ticky for me.

I have just completed the first season, but I went quite extensively into the write up on a google.doc (I was using screenshots to easily analyse previous races)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QP5j78rQ07iPnn8LjfkRY1CZ26tfLBgJdEdrcRi7HKc/edit?usp=sharing

I assume it is fine for me to link it like this, so feel free to have a read. Unlike my first predator playthroughs, thanks to my mod, things did not go well.

So this is my first season with Ferrari so far, I've been using Enzoli's 2016 mod which turned out to be amazing. It was a hard season, but I managed to get Vettel to win the drivers championship and achieved a nice second position in the constructors championship.

At the end of the season, Raikkonen retired so I managed to sign Pérez as my team's number two and got us Pedro Piquet as our reserve driver too. The Pérez signing turned out to be amazing, first in terms of sponsorship but the guy is amazing, he's currently first in the drivers championship and became a good challenger for Vettel. I got Emirates, UBS, Weichai, Genii, Qualcomm and Hublot as my sponsors, by the way. Very good ones.

Here a screenshot of my first season standings:
373bb2a7307a650ff9c8f3a92f179eb3.png

Here's my car:
0d0c426a4977e20628a06b65a2e00198.jpg

And the current standings:
67582de5b03f9aa8f8d6e07f8963b919.png

Started a new game after making some of my own alterations to the Vanilla Balance Mod, and a harsher set of house rules than the ones I was using before:

No save scumming
Must start as outsider
Must keep starting drivers/staff to the end of their contracts
No pay driver in reserve, must keep a reserve that's within 1 star of best driver
Simulate practice/qualifying to give myself less opportunities to get the setup right/cheese the AI
Must use at least one compound other than the softest dry compound in the race
Risky parts must pass a race inspection to be used next season
New parts cannot be started after August 31
Must accept chairman's suggested finishing position
Marketability between both drivers cannot exceed 150
Cannot build any scouting facility/hire any hidden drivers
Reject all interviews (no free driver morale/chairman happiness)

Finished the first season as ZRT. Actually did fire one of my mechanics because I decided the "mechanic selling info" dilemma gave me grounds to, but decided firing my horrid designer because my reserve driver wanted him fired was against the spirit of the house rule. So I'm stuck with him for the remainder of his five year contract. That should be fun.

Anyway, first year is done. I think my best finish was a seventh or eighth or so, and did well enough in the final race to steal seventh in the constructor's. I went the boring route and hired Lahtinen to replace Dembele (her affair had been exposed, giving her an overall debuff), because I was really short on funds going into the season and didn't think I could afford the unemployed Gustavo Costa's signing fee. Garuda got Sevilla and Cruz, I'm not entirely sure where Rodrigues went, and I think Woodford (Will Stevens) is in ERS with Lucatelli going into year 2.

Meanwhile, Wexler won the final race in WMC to steal the championship from Sharp, who just needed to finish fifth to retain it and failed to do so. Steinmann finished fourth in the constructors, behind Windsor. MacNeil won its fight against Kirov and promoted to WMC at the expense of Chariot, and Eastwood promoted to APS at the expense of Lucatelli.

Chairman wants me to finish 7th in a car that hasn't really improved, with Valdes being distracted by the cult he's joined, and Lahtinen sitting at one star while she gets over her fever. Meanwhile everyone's hired better drivers too. The things I have going for me are Valdes' marketability, Lahtinen's per-race income, and the spec engines I threw four votes into. I finally feel like I have a challenge to rise to, looking forward to seeing how it goes.

It'll be better once I'm able to hire my own designer, but until then I think I'm just holding on rather than trying to contend for wins/championships.

[[Several edits to add house rules I forgot to include, heh.]]

Last edited:
Season 4 was interesting for me.

I'd spent 3 seasons as Archer BMR in the Euro Series, eventually getting a 1-2 in the championship with Rodrigues and Balcazar. I went to renew Rodrigues' contract, but he wanted too much money, so I let him go. Plumped for one of the highest rated unemployed drivers, Alexia Pernet, and she didn't want too much money.

Over the winter I'd used the massive payout from my prize money to build my HQ up, and then spent the rest on the suppliers. After sorting out some problems, by season start I was in the red. I'd just had enough money to develop an average brake.

I head to Singapore, and realise that I've screwed up. I was always going for the best staff and drivers as possible, which meant I was losing money for each race. Singapore happened, quali was a disaster and the race was a battle to stay out the pits repairing everything. With points only to 6th, progress was going to suck.

Without any money to develop anything, I just set the mechanics on improving the reliability of everything. It took a few races, but slowly everything started to be more reliable. Halfway through the season, Pernet managed to scrape a point at Doha. At Yokohama, both cars has 98% setups, and an aggressive strategy for Balcazar got her a podium in 3rd, while I decided to sacrifice Pernet's race to go one light fuel, new tyres and went and got 2 points for the fastest lap. At the next race in Dubai, Balcazar scored another podium, in 2nd. I'd lost money at every race, and I was surviving by improving all the stock parts I had and a few payouts from new sponsors.

In Rio, I qualified 3rd and 4th (which was useful as I has a 3rd place sponsor for 1.2M). Balcazar had a more aggressive strategy, which was a fast 2-stop. It was going well until she crashed. Nevertheless, I was clever enough with Pernet's fuel load that she managed to win the race! Suddenly I had a good few points on the board, at the end of the season with the same parts I started with.

But Sydney was a glorious race. We qualified in the midfield, so I tried something that hadn't quite worked in the Euros 2 seasons ago. The race started dry, but rain was forecast to start falling hard on lap 2, eventually being soaked after 4 laps. I started both drivers on Inters and low-ish fuel loads. Somehow they made positions up in the totally dry sector 1, but as the lap went on, they fell rapidly. It started raining on lap 2, when they were both last, so i boosted their pace as the whole field pitted for Wets. The track was still too dry for them, so I went full attack, Pernet set the fastest lap, and boxed on lap 5 just before the crossover point, and Balcazar pitted a lap later. We now had a lead of half a lap, and much newer wets. Balcazar was let through, as she had less fuel, and had to pit earlier for new wets. The forecast said that the rain would stop soon after, so she went out with low fuel and drove extremely quickly to make up time (still easily ahead of the rest of the pack). Pernet pitted for Inters as the rain stopped, so was a bit slow as the track still hadn't dried at all. Balcazar pitted as the fuel ran out on the perfect lap, and soon caught up to Pernet. I then had a 50 second lead over 3rd place, tyre advantage and my two drivers running nose to tail. I put them on the same paces and let then race, but Pernet held on for a 2nd win in a row.

The final race is the Oval at Phoenix. It was a dull race, but I spent practice running a load of laps on Mediums, so the bonuses for the tyres and Race Trim performance were ridiculous, so Pernet almost lapped Balcazar in 2nd as we took a second 1-2 in the last two races. Somehow, without spending any money (except for Balcazar's birthday party...), I finished my debut season in the Asia-Pacific Championship with Pernet 3rd, and the team second. I won so much prize money, and I now have a Test Track on the way, as well as a load of good parts, Balcazar, my Designer and a new (better) mechanic are all on cheaper contracts than they used to be on, so I might be able to challenge for the title.

OK. Thanks to Enzoli´s great mod.... i´m now in my 3rd season with T-Sport in GP3. We should be a title contender after finishing 3rd in season 2017, but will not bore you here with races and my progress.... but would like to share with you, what i will follow closely, beside my attempt to move into top team with "outsider" :laugh: ... third season of Formula 1 championships will have this!

season3.jpg

:roflmao::thumbsup::laugh: cannot wait to see if Fred can beat Lew ... finaly :whistling:

OK! After 8 seasons... some of my views on the game. Must say that Enzoli´s 2016 mod is perfect, but i´m dissapointed in game for some obvious reasons. I´m not sure if any mod can repair that, because might be that game works that way. So.... first, it´s still to easy. I started with T-Sport team in GP3 and despite being worst in everything, i was very much competitive in second season. I did spend few years there before moving into GP2...but if i knew, that the game doesn´t became harder, i would probably took allready first chance when i won title. Spend only 2 seasons in GP2. Easy win in second season with Max Defourny and my regular Alexander Rossi (paying half mil for a seat). So....with 40 mil cash and the cheapest F1 car (arround 28 mil) i started my 2023 season in F1 with again...the worst car on grid....yet to smash Mercedes in first practise and done with top 6 both cars!??
Now...you see what i mean. It´s completely impossible progress with backmarker team in game..... and there is another problem, which i noticed during my seasons. Rosberg retires....but appears in GP2 after 2 seasons off. The same with Vettel... Palmer....some other chaps (had almost 1/3 of F1 drivers in lower categorys and also F1 teams. Alonso retired in few years and came back with same team after two seasons....Hamilton vanished. My sacked reserve driver Maini got Red Bull seat and wining races.....there´s so much bizzare stuff in this game, that is completely not possible to happens. There should be a way to not let F1 teams (and drivers - exept those from the back) to sign deals in lower categorys after F1. It´s just without sense ... and reality. Same goes for teams. I expect Mercedes, Ferrari,Red Bull to be close to top even after 10 years..... and will not sign guys like Vergne,de Vries,Giovanazzi ,Maini..... to replace Vettel,Ricciardo?
So....just to show you 2023 F1 grid :rolleyes:
f1-2023.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 249 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 166 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%