The what pisses you off the most about rF2 thread

Well I did get driving eventually even though the game didn't recognise my T300 and the driving does feel good but when I try to exit the game I get a long list of credits which I don't seem to be able to skip then it froze up so had to restart pc. I'm sure it's good but the ui and options leave a little to be desired. I now have all the main sims installed and I like all of them but some more than others. Will I keep playing RF2? maybe but it's not one of my go to sims purely on this starting experience, I don't need drama in my leisure time.
If you press exit a second time on the way out that will cut the credits off. Although if you let it run right to the very end, you'll see your name :cool:

If you press exit a second time on the way out that will cut the credits off. Although if you let it run right to the very end, you'll see your name :cool:
Ah I wondered who that Jim was lol thanks. So when I'm driving and press pause to change a setting, it always puts me back in the pits? That is pissing me off

Never had a C++ runtime error or crashes in fact in none of my sims :O_o:

Straight after fresh OS install this updated in MAY 2021 lol

If you have more than one version off any C++ in programs and features you are barking up the wrong tree ;)

soooo.. fresh OS this pack and none of your existing steam sims will run a C++
Not a single one

Me neither including with the old UI. The new UI was the first ever C++ Exception Error on my machine. My sim rig is a dedicated machine with nothing else installed.

The issue is not related to the Visual C++ runtime at all unfortunately. Lots of users have documented cases where RF2 crashes now using the new UI in conjunction with using certain features- sadly the new UI is nowhere near as stable as the previous UI it replaced.

After my reinstall of rf2 (something that I do occasionally when the pain has subsided enough) I've found this thread and decide I might as well chip in too. I built a new PC at the beginning of this year partly with rF2 in mind. I now (try to) run the game from an SSD in VR on a 5800x with 32gb with a 3070.

Of course the woe starts before you are even able to play the sim. Steam tells you it's ready to play, but it's a cruel trick. Clicking the play button merely starts you off on the rocky journey, giving you a taste of the awkwardness that is destined to be part of the following days until once again, "uninstall" is clicked. The first trial sends your hard SSD on a mission to fill itself with content you don't want as rF2 auto subscribes itself to everything S397.

Several cups of tea later we're ready, and get ourselves to the UI. A UI that took several years of work to finally come to the sim. This is your second trial. I play in VR, personally I like to keep the game in windowed mode on the monitor, just so I can quickly whip off the headset and see if anything bad is going on. Changing resolution in windowed mode reduces the picture but not the window. The image reduces to quarter of the windows size and sits top left, leaving me randomly clicking where I think the confirm changes button is. After several attempts, I manage to get it to keep the changes rather than revert. The third trial awaits...

My Logitech G29 sits on my desk, pedals beneath my feet, I click configure controls, but alas, the sim does not see the wheel. Remembering I have this problem every time, I exit the game and make another tea whilst I try to think what the problem is. The answer lies in the Game controllers section of the Windows control panel. I have to select the G29 as the device I want to use on older programs. Never a problem with anything else, just rF2. Back into the game, configure controls and pick a car and track. Taking the last sip of tea, I click race and begin trial number 4.

In just a short moment I'll finally be on track, I don the VR headset and wait. Then wait some more, and then a bit more, but finally, I'm looking at the race monitor ready to get in the car. I click drive, the screen flickers a short while and then nothing. I take off the VR and I'm staring at the Windows desktop. Undeterred, I start the sim again, doing nothing different. I wait the usual ages for the track to load and click drive. This time it works, it's a pattern that continues to haunt me across 2 PC's. Sometimes it crashes when I click drive, sometimes it doesn't. This never happened to me with the old UI (which I preferred). Anyway, the lights go green and I'm off, but not for long. This time the steering animation doesn't match what I'm actually doing and I fail to make it around the first corner.

Ready to start trial number 5. I've got the wheel lined up with what I'm doing and a couple of CTD's later I'm good to go, or so I think. After a few restarts to find settings that give an acceptable frame rate at a severely decreased image quality, I'm ready to start a race against the best AI in the business..
Except it's not. They block in the same places every lap, meaning you can force them offline and go around the outside, failing that, just outbrake them every single time into turn 4. Every track is the same, once you learn what they do, they become easy to pass. Not saying they're worse than anything else, but they fail to live up to the legendary status I see people talking of. I press escape to get back to the menu to increase the difficulty and decide that it's not worth the effort and exit the game. But it won't let me go until it's forced just one more unnecessary mouse click out of me...

The UI is buggy and looks outdated already, the game CTD's too much, the AI isn't so good anymore, too much paid content and too little progress with the core game, too long to load a track, too much work just to get it all going from a fresh install.

Every month I read the road map hoping to read of actual improvements and every month I feel I'm just reading an advert. I wishS387 hadn't of kept the rF2 name. This clearly is never going to be the game I thought it was going to be when ISI first released it.

The sad thing is, I know there's something special in there, I'm just not sure anymore that it's ever going to come to the surface. It's probably better than AC, ACC, and AMS2 but I rarely touch it. If I do it's only to go through all the pain again, stupidly hoping for something to have changed. Until then, AMS2 and AC will be my go to sims, they just work and if I fancy a quick 10 lap race, it won't be a lottery whether I actually get to do it or not.

After my reinstall of rf2 (something that I do occasionally when the pain has subsided enough) I've found this thread and decide I might as well chip in too. I built a new PC at the beginning of this year partly with rF2 in mind. I now (try to) run the game from an SSD in VR on a 5800x with 32gb with a 3070.

Of course the woe starts before you are even able to play the sim. Steam tells you it's ready to play, but it's a cruel trick. Clicking the play button merely starts you off on the rocky journey, giving you a taste of the awkwardness that is destined to be part of the following days until once again, "uninstall" is clicked. The first trial sends your hard SSD on a mission to fill itself with content you don't want as rF2 auto subscribes itself to everything S397.

Several cups of tea later we're ready, and get ourselves to the UI. A UI that took several years of work to finally come to the sim. This is your second trial. I play in VR, personally I like to keep the game in windowed mode on the monitor, just so I can quickly whip off the headset and see if anything bad is going on. Changing resolution in windowed mode reduces the picture but not the window. The image reduces to quarter of the windows size and sits top left, leaving me randomly clicking where I think the confirm changes button is. After several attempts, I manage to get it to keep the changes rather than revert. The third trial awaits...

My Logitech G29 sits on my desk, pedals beneath my feet, I click configure controls, but alas, the sim does not see the wheel. Remembering I have this problem every time, I exit the game and make another tea whilst I try to think what the problem is. The answer lies in the Game controllers section of the Windows control panel. I have to select the G29 as the device I want to use on older programs. Never a problem with anything else, just rF2. Back into the game, configure controls and pick a car and track. Taking the last sip of tea, I click race and begin trial number 4.

In just a short moment I'll finally be on track, I don the VR headset and wait. Then wait some more, and then a bit more, but finally, I'm looking at the race monitor ready to get in the car. I click drive, the screen flickers a short while and then nothing. I take off the VR and I'm staring at the Windows desktop. Undeterred, I start the sim again, doing nothing different. I wait the usual ages for the track to load and click drive. This time it works, it's a pattern that continues to haunt me across 2 PC's. Sometimes it crashes when I click drive, sometimes it doesn't. This never happened to me with the old UI (which I preferred). Anyway, the lights go green and I'm off, but not for long. This time the steering animation doesn't match what I'm actually doing and I fail to make it around the first corner.

Ready to start trial number 5. I've got the wheel lined up with what I'm doing and a couple of CTD's later I'm good to go, or so I think. After a few restarts to find settings that give an acceptable frame rate at a severely decreased image quality, I'm ready to start a race against the best AI in the business..
Except it's not. They block in the same places every lap, meaning you can force them offline and go around the outside, failing that, just outbrake them every single time into turn 4. Every track is the same, once you learn what they do, they become easy to pass. Not saying they're worse than anything else, but they fail to live up to the legendary status I see people talking of. I press escape to get back to the menu to increase the difficulty and decide that it's not worth the effort and exit the game. But it won't let me go until it's forced just one more unnecessary mouse click out of me...

The UI is buggy and looks outdated already, the game CTD's too much, the AI isn't so good anymore, too much paid content and too little progress with the core game, too long to load a track, too much work just to get it all going from a fresh install.

Every month I read the road map hoping to read of actual improvements and every month I feel I'm just reading an advert. I wishS387 hadn't of kept the rF2 name. This clearly is never going to be the game I thought it was going to be when ISI first released it.

The sad thing is, I know there's something special in there, I'm just not sure anymore that it's ever going to come to the surface. It's probably better than AC, ACC, and AMS2 but I rarely touch it. If I do it's only to go through all the pain again, stupidly hoping for something to have changed. Until then, AMS2 and AC will be my go to sims, they just work and if I fancy a quick 10 lap race, it won't be a lottery whether I actually get to do it or not.
Every word is true, and reminds me yet again of what rF2 could've become with another development team.
At the moment I spend most of my time driving in AMS2. After the years of frustration with rF2, it's a revalation: a well-designed UI, fast loading times AI that doesn't have a death wish, excellent graphics and VR performance, and driving physics and FF that get better with every update.
I still have rF2 installed, but I can imagine abandoning rF2 altogether some day soon if AMS2 continues to make the progress it has been making, and if S397 don't pull their finger out soon.
Since I started this thread in March there has been no word at all about what's going to happen now they've been bought out. It's not looking good.

Last edited:
To be fair to S397, they've sort of listened to the complaints of many by introducing 2 new lists within the Steam workshop - the Premium Content list and the Anthology Collection list (which can be seen below).

Screenshot 2021-06-14 090506.png

Being a smart ar$e, I awarded S397 with a slow hand clap because they've needed these lists about 4 years ago.

Thankfully, one can unsubscribe to all content via both lists (select the anthology as it has 93 items) which is great as you'll be downloading everything ISI and S397 tagged as you're auto subscribed by default when starting from scratch.

I'd like to see S397 start a new install be that the demo or paid version with one up-to-date free car e.g. Tatuus FT-60 and two up-to-date free tracks e.g. Silverstone and Lime Rock then in-game one of the two lists appear in game asking if you'd like to download more cars and tracks.

A proper archiving system for rfcmp files would be welcome too.

Every word is true, and reminds me yet again of what rF2 could've become with another development team.
At the moment I spend most of my time driving in AMS2. After the years of frustration with rF2, it's a revalation: a well-designed UI, fast loading times AI that doesn't have a death wish, excellent graphics and VR performance, and driving physics and FF that get better with every update.
I still have rF2 installed, but I can imagine abandoning rF2 altogether some day soon if AMS2 continues to make the progress it has been making, and if S397 don't pull their finger out soon.
Since I started this thread in March there has been no word at all about what's going to happen now they've been bought out. It's not looking good.
I've owned rF2 since day one of release and it's usability has gotten no better since that day. In fact it was better before it went to Steam, which I know isn't S397's fault, but they've made no progress in turning things around. It's different, but not better.

Clearly single player is out of the window now, I wish they would just say it and be done. But if they did that, they lose a few customers for all that DLC. They should just be fair to us offline players and tell us it's not worth investing in anymore, because it's going to be an E-sports / online focussed title in the future. Perhaps that way, those of us who live in constant disappointment with rF2's offline experience will go and bother some other devs.

Last edited:
The great hoax is you act like you want rF2 to be
the best sim when in reality it would not matter
what they did, you will never be happy and
honestly, that just makes me feel sad for you

Thread needs a new title :x3:

HAPPILY EVER AFTER.jpg

NEVER ENDING STORY.jpg

People are entitled to an opinion which differs from your own.
I really don't understand how/why you seem to think it's ok to ridicule people because they see things differently to how you see things. I'm not entirely sure that it breaks RD T's&C's but it's not playing nicely IMO. Can't you just accept that it's not realistic to expect everybody to see things your way? If you don't like to read what people are posting in this thread... well, nobody is forcing you to read it. Please stop posting all these put downs.

Seriously, you should start a thread about all the things you like/love about rF2. It would provided a counterpoint to this thread. I'd be really interested to read it.

I'm glad you love rF2 and that you've seemingly mastered all of it's inner workings @Durge Driven . And I respect you taking it's defense, I really do.

But let me put it this way: if I want ball-breaking hassles, blurring headaches and a general sense that all my best efforts are getting me nowhere...I got a 9-to-5, I don't need rF2 for that ;)

* DISCLAIMER: this post was written tongue-in-cheek and under the influence of Kentucky bourbon *

The point of this thread is to give a place where it's ok to sound off about stuff you don't like about rF2 instead of hijacking every front page article. That way, people who don't want to read through pages of complaints, which are unrelated to the topic of said articles, don't need to read them. Same goes for you in this instance - if you don't like this thread don't read it.

Last edited:
Yes everyone is entitled including me

To me, you are as entitled as the lot of us. But this is the "what pisses you off about rF2" thread after all. I personally didn't feel ridiculed -I can take a punch or two- but you did trigger a reaction from my side :)
So I do kinda get @Denis Betty 's reaction as well.

The thread has no point other then to cause division !

I honestly think this is untrue, we're all just venting about a sim that -at least to us- failed to live up to it's potential, so far. The fact that we are venting about it shows to me that rF2 has some place in our simracing hearts, otherwise why bother ?

I think you should really consider starting that "What do you love the most about rF2" thread, I'd follow that. Hell, I might even have something positive to contribute. 'Cos let's face it, there are things that rF2 does well :)

Okay this is speaking as a moderator.
First, as has been pointed out the thread was created to prevent other rF2 threads from being hijacked.
Second, the title couldn't be clearer, so you know what you're getting.
However like many others it's now been dragged off topic and turned into a slagging match.
I'm going to remove some of these off topic posts and suggest people stay on it.

@Durge Driven It wouldn't be 'a never ending story' if ISI and then S397 listened to the constructive criticism of their user-base. Few people here are asking for the impossible.

Sadly, the official forum threads are often stalked by a few specific people who feel there is nothing wrong with rF2 and defend the software like it's their own child which is as useless as attacking rF2 with destructive criticism.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 107 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 81 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 54 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 112 13.4%