The what pisses you off the most about rF2 thread

In the graphics section of the player json file, set this line to 0

"Moving Rearview":0,
"Moving Rearview#":"Whether mirrors respond to head movement in cockpit (0=none, 1=position-only, 2=FOV-only, 3=both) - add 4 if you want to IGNORE head-tracking movement",

With this set to 0 setting there should never be a need to adjust the mirrors again for any car. I really think this should be the default setting.
Didn't work for me, but it was worth a try I guess. Thanks anyway, maybe I'm doing something dumb? but I did change the value in the player.json. Then I launched rF2 again, and changed cars, the mirrors were all over the place like before :(

My main problem with rF2 is the select few on the S397 forum who never want anything in the sim to be fixed and whenever I post...

Features X, Y, Z are broken

I receive the following reply...

There's an easy solution for that. Turn off features X, Y, Z

No. No. No. One thousand times No. I purchased rFactor 2 for features X, Y and Z. The solution isn't for us to turn off features, it's for S397 to fix them. I wish these people would take more pride in the sim they seem to love.

My main problem with rF2 is the select few on the S397 forum who never want anything in the sim to be fixed and whenever I post...

I receive the following reply...

No. No. No. One thousand times No. I purchased rFactor 2 for features X, Y and Z. The solution isn't for us to turn off features, it's for S397 to fix them. I wish these people would take more pride in the sim they seem to love.
And S397s standard answer: we're aware of this bug, it's on our to do list, but we can't say when it'll be fixed....:)

How much time do we have :D :D :D :D :D
For starters...
Why the heck does it take so long to even launch after selecting play?
I sit and wait...and wait...and wait until the splash screen appears.
I never know if the game is starting or is broken.
It is kind of a leap of faith.
Somebody thought it was funny to have a bunch of zzzzz to represent waiting.
In game...the dust/kick-up is not representative of any sim in 2021.
Finally...my most irritating gripe.....multiplayer mismatches.
I hardly run it because of those.

Sorry... I missed the word 'thread' at the end of the sentence. As in rFactor2 thread.
Oops!

Last edited:
Well lets face it, rF2 is today what LFS was 15 years ago, minus the competition, and minus the popularity. One or two guys (bold presumption from my side) coding, with most resources going into
the occasional new content to keep the company ticking over.
I still bought the game, and more then EUR 100,- worth of cars and tracks, because the core of the game is superb, some cars are sublime.
However, unless some investor chimes in, or a game studio buys the title (again), almost all requested new features, together with old and newly found bugs, will forever stay on a to do list, and the game will inevitably go down the LFS route.

Well lets face it, rF2 is today what LFS was 15 years ago, minus the competition, and minus the popularity. One or two guys (bold presumption from my side) coding, with most resources going into
the occasional new content to keep the company ticking over.
I still bought the game, and more then EUR 100,- worth of cars and tracks, because the core of the game is superb, some cars are sublime.
However, unless some investor chimes in, or a game studio buys the title (again), almost all requested new features, together with old and newly found bugs, will forever stay on a to do list, and the game will inevitably go down the LFS route.

rF2 was bought less than two weeks ago :).

As has been said previously, the side mirrors is an issue, and the fact that it doesn't appear to be documented anywhere is just plain odd.
Load times, terrible. When you see how quickly ACC loads, why can't they fix this?
Content... Steam Workshop... terrible.

Also, you select a new car to drive, and the opponent cars switch to the same single make. Why can't it keep the selection you had previously?
If it can and I'm on my own here, please someone tell me how to keep it from continually switching

But... after all the above, I still love the title as once you're in it, and it's running smoothly, it's tough to beat.

The main problem in Rfactor 2 is people nowadays are more interested in the grass of the circuit, the reflection of the cars than the drive experience and the stability. They are obfuscated by the UI or time loads (since I start the game and I am racing is less than a minute except the DLCs tracks ) and they don't see how easy and appealing is to race with another people in this forum or in the new competition system.

So really, the main problem is they change things to be more appealing (and easy) and they convert the sim in another arcade as project cars 3 or forza. Or they change the stability to improve the graphics to make better pics and the VR will be so messy as ACC and the AI more stupid.

If the main problem for some people is the UI, it means you are doing OK.

Sitting here thinking about things I dislike about the sim.
Decided I must be a passive person because nothing is really shouting at me, or I don’t sim race enough to notice flaws.

Wait, I just thought of one. I really like the new stock cars but why when going round Daytona do the cars pull hard to the left, constantly?
Is it the extreme banking of the track or something with the car setup?

Edit: One more annoyance, the AI on the same track smash on the brakes mid corner. I have the AI set to max and still win every race because of this.

Last edited:
Wait, I just thought of one. I really like the new stock cars but why when going round Daytona do the cars pull hard to the left, constantly?
Is it the extreme banking of the track or something with the car setup?

It's how cars are set up to run on ovals, they don't run symmetrical setups at all.
maxresdefault.jpg

In the graphics section of the player json file, set this line to 0

"Moving Rearview":0,
"Moving Rearview#":"Whether mirrors respond to head movement in cockpit (0=none, 1=position-only, 2=FOV-only, 3=both) - add 4 if you want to IGNORE head-tracking movement",

With this set to 0 setting there should never be a need to adjust the mirrors again for any car. I really think this should be the default setting.

I went through this hassle, tried every setting. It may be true for first party cars, and I swear it isn't even working for them, but it's definitely not working for older content, mod content, etc., And then when you do modify for those cars it breaks the first party cars. Drives me insane.

Mirrors should just have acceptable, automatic, dynamically calculated initial defaulst all the time whenever you get in the cockpit. I'm not adjusting mirrors like crazy in any other sim. Just do what they do.

Last edited:
The thing which I dislike about rF2 the most is that there is no progress about some game aspects which I suppose would have great development resources/reward ratio... Instead UI has been worked on forever, and I personally don't even like it.

I hope that the Roadmap for April gives us all an insight into the vision and plan of MSG and rFactor2, other than S397 will continue plugging away. It has been difficult for any fan of this sim with the tweaks and work around(s) necessary to get a consistent and enjoyable experience. From ISI to S397 and now MSG I bet most peoples patience is nearing an end, but for me at least there is little to move on to as few come close to what rFactor2 can be when you hit that sweet spot.
A clear and honest assessment from MSG is expected, and if I hear one mention of the NASCAR plan I think I'll puke.

RF2 remains my favorite sim for offline and private races among friends. That said what irks me the most has been the new UI and online servers in general (can't till what mods you are missing so can rarely join public servers successfully, especially now given that people have largely migrated to the new UI whereas I am staying on the old one which works for me).

Still my favourite sim too.

The glacial pace of development.
Did I read that S397 have been working for MSG on another game for quite some time?
Could THAT have something to do with the reason that any promised improvements seem to take forever to come to fruition? We heard that Release Candidate builds, with improvements (eg something as simple as remembering PW for favourite servers), would be upgraded to the main build. When? Did I miss something? Has this already happened?

This rings a bell. Have we not heard promises from S397 in the past, which have disappeared without trace? I should give examples with links, but S397 don't seem to bother communicating with users (I'm deliberately not counting what I consider to be BS monthly Roadmaps - just seem like adverts for DLC to me) so I really can't be bothered to back up my claims. Everybody will have an opinion of their own and that's OC fine.

As I've stated elsewhere, I've more or less given up on hoping for the long standing bugs to be fixed, but the eternity wasted on the new UI has delivered something which detracts from my enjoyment of the game. It's really slow in my experience and super buggy. They also removed the ability to change cars without leaving and re-joining a server. Why would you do that and try to call it an upgrade? There's other stuff about the Ui that really annoys me again, I just can't be bothered to think about it, let alone list it all.

So yeh, I'm fed up with hearing about it. It just depresses me to hear all the positive spin for years on end and see very little of any benefit to me.

Careful what you wish for, but I've found myself daydreaming about S397 releasing a new, closed to modding sim and fully opening up rF2 to modding. It'll never happen IMO because rF2 might then become a serious rival to any new sim S397 came up with, but a boy can dream.

Sorry for the miserable rant. I've been meaning to post in this thread for ages and not got round to it. Sat here waiting for the rain to stop so I can go cycling hasn't improved my mood. I'll likely regret posting this whilst in such a foul mood, but it's done now. Oh well.

Last edited:
I feel very much like that. The lack of player in hand perceivable benefits of all the years, not so impressive new UI and ultimate uncertainty isn't too cheerful.

It was awesome to have all the optimism about further rF2 development some years ago, but the way it materializes or the way it doesn't even seem to have started to be heading towards most of those visions is just not inspiring.

For a rant thread there are actually some well considered posts.

I don't have the energy for Rf2 anymore to rant other than to say i've been on the new UI for months now and still can't help but think that Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would have done a better job.

Like, of course the skin selection is in black and white, because seeing in colour is overrated... now, which car would you like? The grey one or the grey one? Awesome work...I don't run Rf2 so much nowadays.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%