The what pisses you off the most about rF2 thread

So, by popular request, here it is. It's going to be a long post, but please bear with me.
As the title says, I'd like to talk about all the niggling "quirks and features" that are present in rF2, and whether they should be fixed or not. There are so many of them I mostly can't recall them all at any one time, but I'll mention the ones that really wind me up personally, the ones that scream in my face every time I use rF2.
I don't want to get into the replacement UI, that is a subject all of it's own which does not belong in this thread.
No, I'm talking about the things that have been there since the beginning of time, or at least since S397 took over in 2016. Listed, in no particular order:
Why does the video settings menu revert back to generic every time I close the game? Why do I have to select "RTX3080", (in my case), every time I start the game? Is that really so hard to change? (I'm not being provocative here, it's a genuine question) In fact that could apply to all the things I'm going to mention here, why havn't they been changed years ago?
The Full Course Yellow bug. Surely, in an application that is more sim than game, and one that is heavily biased towards endurance racing, is this bug in any way realistic?
The missing realistic transmission model. Does the fact that you can completely ignore the clutch ('cos it doesn't really work ) really fit into a realistic sim?
Why can't you change cars or tracks without having to back to the "desktop" for want of a better word?
Why can't you just do it in the garage? It would save literally hours in loading times.
Talking about loading times: why are the loading times so glacial? If you only have to do it once, it's bad enough, but if you're popping in and out constantly trying out different settings, you can spend half the evening just sitting there like a jerk with the VR headset on watching the track load for the fifteenth time.
And don't get me started on the Workshop system. Every time you re-install, afterwards you have to go into the Workshop and scroll through nearly 600 addons, and untick all the ones you don't want because you never use them.
A lot of the stuff in there looks like something out of the 90's, and the majority of it will never be updated.
Why can't they change it so that you only get the content you had in the old install, and not everything?
It works with the DLC you've bought, why not with all the other content?
If that's not possible, why can't you just get a vanilla install with only the DLC content, and then you can go into the Workshop and select the content that you DO want?
I don't re-install that often, thank goodness, but every time I do have to re-install, I get that sinking feeling, oh no, here we go again. It's a real ball-ache to be honest.
As I recall, there is some kind of workaround (another fix for something that shouldn't be broken in the first place), but I've forgotten it, and can't find it again due to rF2s almost complete lack of documentation.
And the AI, the never-ending story of the AI. Why is it so crap? Why does somebody punt me off the track every second race, or even in practice, whatever settings I use? And if by a miracle I find a setting that works, it only works for that one track. I have to screw around for hours and hours for every track, and the settings don't take without having to come out, and then load the track again. See loading times.
S397 have achieved an enormous amount over the past four years or so, credit where credit's due.
The change to DX11, VR capability ( although the loading screen could be better: why do I see the rF2 logo in front of me ( that would be perfectly adaquate ), but also to the left, to the right, and over my head too. And why doesn't the VR centre button work during the loading sequence? Why do I have to turn my head to the right till it gets onto the home page, before the VR centre button works?
The industry standard FF, the driving physics, the tyre model, the immersion factor are all things that keep me coming back to rF2 time and time again. There are other sims and driving games that don't have all of rF2s "quirks and features", but none where I really have the feeling that I'm there in the cockpit.
If you've managed to get to the end without falling asleep, thank you. I'll be interested to hear what other people think, and I have no problem with being corrected if I've written something that isn't true.
It isn't my intention to provoke, these are just my personal thoughts about things that have always really annoyed me over the years, because they're all things that just shouldn't be there, and things that should have been fixed years ago. I mean it's bad enough making coding mistakes like these, which must have been apparent during the beta test phase, but then to just ignore them, and leave them in for years and years just boggles my mind. I mean why, just why?

Edited once for content.

Last edited:
That's just typical. I've been hoping for somebody to start this thread for years and the moment somebody did it, the goalpost were moved. Or maybe the whole playing field has been changed. Also, the news that S397 have been working on another game for 2 years kinda makes me wonder if that had any effect on their lack of bug fixing in rF2? Not making excuses, just thinking out loud.

I'll get my thoughts together about all the things that irritate me about the sim and come back to this. :thumbsup:

That's just typical. I've been hoping for somebody to start this thread for years and the moment somebody did it, the goalpost were moved. Or maybe the whole playing field has been changed. Also, the news that S397 have been working on another game for 2 years kinda makes me wonder if that had any effect on their lack of bug fixing in rF2? Not making excuses, just thinking out loud.

I'll get my thoughts together about all the things that irritate me about the sim and come back to this. :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

I agree with a lot of what you have written. I've had rF2 since 2015 and have only had to reinstall it twice in that time once when I bought a new computer and when dx11 beta was released and it did not work for me and it wouldn't go back to dx9. I agree the AI is a pain to get right to suit your own ability but I think that also applies to all the other sims, AC, ACC, AMS and AMS2 but when you get it right I prefer the AI in rF2 to all the other sims I have. I have found you only need to reselect your graphics card when some thing has changed. (1)Game update. (2)Graphic card drivers update. (3)Windows update. (4)Maybe computer crash. I think windows it self can cause problems with rF2 because it wants to run so much crap in the back ground that you don't really need. I've tried to eliminate as much of it as I can also anti virus programs can also cause problems I think Norton is probably the worst, I been using Kaspersky for about 8yrs without any problems. Yes loading times can be a right pain in the ass at times especially when your playing around with mods and need to restart the game to activate the reworked mod. I think there are a lot of badly optimised PCs around that contain a lot of so called bloat ware. I run rF2 almost every day without any problem, if there is a problem it's usually some thing I have done incorrectly.

The video setting only reverts because you open it Even if you open it and it says "Basic renderer" does not matter ! Don't touch it ! why do you need to or are you constantly playing with things ?

Full course yellow ! Only leagues need to use this so they are the only ones affected
I been told no one does 6 hour races ( resume replay ) but what yellow flags are important ?
I suggest for offline and open public rooms you set NO FLAGS ..if you check most open servers you will find the same

Historic cars you must use the clutch ( if you don't set any aids ) but again open rooms will set auto clutch and auto gears even some leagues have it , what you think everyone has a clutch ? so what they should be excluded ?
All the DLC are paddle shift they only use a clutch to move

Be serious just the other day you asked me in other thread how I change cars offline
If there is an option to switch cars in the garage I've never seen it. But I've only been using rF2 since it was released, it's possible that I've missed it all these years.
I posted the thread how to do it but but you go away and ignore it
Better still what sim can you swap cars in a garage please I want to know !
I tell you NONE except my rF2 work around

I will give you slow loading times but you constantly refuse to accept that not all content loads slow
like Historic Cars and Italy, Belgium and most every 3rd party track
It is actually the car models take the most time watch the end of the load bar you see vehicles load 1 at a time

I give you re-installing rFactor2 you forced to download all content again
Oh but wait isn't that the same for every sim you re-install ? I mean seriously

I also give you the DLC method is is different but hardly a drama ? again I Install DLC once last 2 years and automatically get updated just like all the other sims ?
Why do you have to reinstall sims ? Because you can't leave them alone
All my major sims I have never had to re-install the last couple of years at least they are ALL so stable and never throw up errors ever all studios bar iRacing I have and use so again I don't get the drama.
Oh wait I forgot if you use rfmods ( take minutes to make ) you can actually stop any older version of any content from being replaced or uninstalled and wait there is more
You can even keep and use multiple versions to test against each other from garage in DD's patented "offline online room" ! No other sim lets you do any of this ! Not a one ;)

That is all I can stomach for now except to say rF2 has 100 workarounds once you set and leave rF2 alone will work ;)

Last edited:
The video setting only reverts because you open it Even if you open it and it says "Basic renderer" does not matter ! Don't touch it ! why do you need to or are you constantly playing with things ?

Full course yellow ! Only leagues need to use this so they are the only ones affected
I been told no one does 6 hour races ( resume replay ) but what yellow flags are important ?
I suggest for offline and open public rooms you set NO FLAGS ..if you check most open servers you will find the same
Historic cars you must use the clutch ( if you don't set any aids ) but again open rooms will set auto clutch and auto gears even some leagues have it , what you think everyone has a clutch ? so what they should be excluded ?
All the DLC are paddle shift they only use a clutch to move

Be serious just the other day you asked me in other thread how I change cars offline

I posted the thread how to do it but but you go away and ignore it
Better still what sim can you swap cars in a garage please I want to know !
I tell you NONE except my rF2 work around

I will give you slow loading times but you constantly refuse to accept that not all content loads slow
like Historic Cars and Italy, Belgium and most every 3rd party track
It is actually the car models take the most time watch the end of the load bar you see vehicles load 1 at a time

I give you re-installing rFactor2 you forced to download all content again
Oh but wait isn't that the same for every sim you re-install ? I mean seriously

I also give you the DLC method is is different but hardly a drama ? again I Install DLC once last 2 years and automatically get updated just like all the other sims ?
Why do you have to reinstall sims ? Because you can't leave them alone
All my major sims I have never had to re-install the last couple of years at least they are ALL so stable and never throw up errors ever all studios bar iRacing I have and use so again I don't get the drama.
Oh wait I forgot if you use rfmods ( take minutes to make ) you can actually stop any older version of any content from being replaced or uninstalled and wait there is more
You can even keep and use multiple versions to test against each other from garage in DD's patented "offline online room" ! No other sim lets you do any of this ! Not a one ;)

That is all I can stomach for now except to say rF2 has 100 workarounds once you set and leave rF2 alone will work ;)
Why am I not surprised that you have completely ignored the spirit of my post? I did read your guide, but I'm not prepared to screw around printing things out and going through your 18 point plan to fix something that shouldn't be broken anyway. You say there are fixes for everything, and you're right. But all these things shouldn't be broken in the first place. You seem to love playing around for hours getting it all to work, do you actually find time to drive?
I have no desire to spend hours hacking this and that, I just want to start rF2 and drive.
And I am of the opinion that if something is there in a Programm, then it should work. I have no idea how to set up servers and drive online, I've always driven off-line, along with a great many other people. Your posts are usually very provocative, you seem to take delight in proving yourself right, and other people wrong, as if everybody else is an idiot.
I said in my post that I had nothing against people correcting me on anything, but in this reply you didn't really bring much of any consequence to the table, it was just your usual hammering your agenda down people's throats. Have a nice day :)

Last edited:
Steam workshop. RF2 has the most messy, terrible Steam Workshop organization I have seen among all games that I own on Steam. There is no proper tag, no proper category, no proper filter or anything. WTH are tags "verion_2" and "English"?

Even abandoned games such as Medieval Engineer has much better Steam Workshop. Any game on Steam that wants to encourage modding will do something about the Workshop.

You are the one posted the thread and I am hammering ?

I answered honestly and gave you SOME ways around SOME problems

Now after a decade people are still second guessing themselves and worried about things like messy steam workshop, I say get a life
Go drive the sims you are passionate about have fun :)
All the complaining in the world won't fix it
There is no one can code it because basically you would have to start from a blank slate
Tell me who can do that ? this new lot ? Good luck with that ;)

If there is an option to switch cars in the garage I've never seen it. But I've only been using rF2 since it was released, it's possible that I've missed it all these years.

Like you have missed many things like the sheer driving pleasure

This is my last ever post on the subject should at least put a smile on your face :D

Last edited:
Many complaints and wishlist items for Assetto Corsa are fulfilled by people not working for Kunos. When you get a large enough number of people who care for a product, things happen. When people stop to care, you get a bigger issue than the complaints.

Asking people to go drive another sim is literally the exact opposite of what Paul Coleman and Marcel Offermans were saying at their latest interview.

Fixing Steam Workshop does not require expertise in coding. It requires care. Maintaining a tidy Steam Workshop is to some extent equal to making a welcoming company website, especially for rF2 a game that welcomes modding.

I will stop here. OP's asked "what pisses you off the most" and I gave my answer.

Now after a decade people are still second guessing themselves and worried about things like messy steam workshop, I say get a life
There is no one can code it because basically you would have to start from a blank slate
Like you have missed many things

Ok, let's drop into learn mode here. I was an aircraft systems tech in an earlier life, and for the last 20 years now, a luthier and guitar tech.
My computer knowledge is strictly user level, I've messed around a bit with programm hacking a long time ago, when I was a lot younger, back in the DOS and WIN95 days, but I have no real idea what I'm doing.
That said, tell me why, out of all the thousands and thousands of programms in the world, why rF2 is the only programm where the code can't be modified?
Every other programm gets bug fixes as they're discovered, sometimes over a period of years, why not rF2?
When Marcel talks about the rF2 code, it sounds like it's a legend like Excalibers sword, an enigma wrapped in a mystery, a secret code lost in the mists of time..
Assuming that it's written in C or C+ ( as guestimated by a client of mine who programms the ATMs for the Deutsche Bank, I assume he knows what he's talking about), why is it so difficult to write the bugs out?
I mean I don't think it's a long-term solution to expect the end-user to spend hours hacking this and that, to correct faults that shouldn't be the in the first place.
It's like a client coming to me and telling me that his guitar rattles when he plays an open G chord, so I say, if you play the G chord as an invertion further up the neck, it doesn't rattle any more. It's a fix of sorts, and it works, but it's not really the right solution in the long term. You don't always have the time to change from open chords on the first 3 frets to playing invertions further up the neck, depending on the key and the Tempo. But I digress...
Instead I examine the guitar, I play it myself to make sure that it's not his fingers, then I do a setup, find the cause of the rattling, fix it, and hey presto, the guitar works at every fret board position.
In principle, rF2 is the same: certain things are broken, and have been for years, and need to be fixed. How hard can it be?

Last edited:

Like you have missed many things like the sheer driving pleasure

This is my last ever post on the subject should at least put a smile on your face :D
Don't get me wrong, I love rF2. It's the only sim where I have the feeling that I'm really driving the car, the immersion factor is immense. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :)

I forgot to mention something in my original post, I was reminded of it this evening when trying to set the mirrors on a new car. Takes frickin hours, what were they thinking? Why can't they be automatically adjusted with the seat, like in other games? I have seldom come across such a stupid system, try doing it in VR. Now I know how Stevie Wonder feels when he tries to use a keyboard ...
If it at least it worked like the electric mirrors on a road car: in, out, up down. Logical and quick.
Till today I haven't really fathomed how it works. And then the inane voice that say mirror, mirror, mirror, mirror, mirror..
Or maybe I'm just too stupid ? That's a possibility I can't entirely discount...:D

I forgot to mention something in my original post, I was reminded of it this evening when trying to set the mirrors on a new car. Takes frickin hours, what were they thinking? Why can't they be automatically adjusted with the seat, like in other games? I have seldom come across such a stupid system, try doing it in VR. Now I know how Stevie Wonder feels when he tries to use a keyboard ...
If it at least it worked like the electric mirrors on a road car: in, out, up down. Logical and quick.
Till today I haven't really fathomed how it works. And then the inane voice that say mirror, mirror, mirror, mirror, mirror..
Or maybe I'm just too stupid ? That's a possibility I can't entirely discount...:D
I agree this is a pain. I find myself saying mirror in a stupid voice when I set them, which is even stranger. Apparently there is a setting in player .Json that keeps them the same for each car, but I've never messed with it.

I agree this is a pain. I find myself saying mirror in a stupid voice when I set them, which is even stranger. Apparently there is a setting in player .Json that keeps them the same for each car, but I've never messed with it.
Of there is a way to alieviate the problem by modding the player.json, where do I find out how? The lack of documentation is another rF2 problem that nobody seems to care about.

The problem isn't that mirrors are changing, it's that the seat position is changing and you therefore have to adjust the mirrors as well. With a seat position (0,0), mirrors should be positioned correctly by default on all cars.

The problem is that sometimes the car seat position gets inherited from a previous car or the default seat position is just not good for your screen configuration, which means you then have to adjust mirrors to align with your new seat pos. There is nothing you can do about that, it's the way it was in all ISI titles and actually in other sim racing games as well not that long ago.

The problem isn't that mirrors are changing, it's that the seat position is changing and you therefore have to adjust the mirrors as well. With a seat position (0,0), mirrors should be positioned correctly by default on all cars.

The problem is that sometimes the car seat position gets inherited from a previous car or the default seat position is just not good for your screen configuration, which means you then have to adjust mirrors to align with your new seat pos. There is nothing you can do about that, it's the way it was in all ISI titles and actually in other sim racing games as well not that long ago.
Thanks for the clear explanation :)

In the graphics section of the player json file, set this line to 0

"Moving Rearview":0,
"Moving Rearview#":"Whether mirrors respond to head movement in cockpit (0=none, 1=position-only, 2=FOV-only, 3=both) - add 4 if you want to IGNORE head-tracking movement",

With this set to 0 setting there should never be a need to adjust the mirrors again for any car. I really think this should be the default setting.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%