The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

W.I.P of course

__custom_showroom_1568815628.jpg

Yeah that's a bit too much, the body itself (all metal parts) should be around 50k as a reference, there's really no need for anything more unless it has some complicated shapes, which is not the case. Take a look at my 993, that's 64k including some plastic trim pieces and door sills, if not the body alone it's 48k.
View attachment 325061

When you're doing the panel gaps make sure they look like this:
View attachment 325062
And not this, which is what it seems right now:
View attachment 325063

Thanks for the insight!! I haven't beveled any panel gaps/exrusions so hence the knife cut look.

Good news: My entire external body (all metal parts) has less than 10k tris. Probably my minimalist modeling coming from a 20 year old engine (Falcon 4). So smoothing and averaging that out won't take too long.

j6mMpOS.png

Given the 10k tris without any edges, seams, subdivision this should be a good basis for cleaning that body up:

n7rvNiY.png

Bad news: I'll be away until interior is done, then body finalization so catch ya in a few weeks as I only have a few hours per week to spend on this.

Good news Pt. 2: Finally figured out how 'Alpina Blue II' is composed and suspension measuring will now probably happen at the end of September:

n7A85Cw.png

5 link madness...

ApDUg48.png

exvHumo.png

David, Fonteny really is going to be your showcase isn't it ? I must say can you really see litter bins at 150MPH ?:geek:.
I can literally see cars stopping on the track just to admire your handywork !
Nice to see the fine details going in to it.
Some of us are tapping our feet, while others are just drooling over getting this masterpiece.
Its always fun learning a new track, plus how else could we find those litter bins ?

Thanks for the kind words. I like to add small details like litter bins, benches, bus shelters, road signs, etc because even though they don't jump out of the screen at you and make you think "Oh look, a bench! :confused:", I think you possibly notice when they aren't there. Then it's just grass, hedges and trees for 26km it can get a little wearing on your eyes, but to occasionally see a Unimog out of the corner of your eye, or an old oil drum in the long grass... I just think it's fun :) Plus, they can help with track-learning on a longish track like Fonteny. I'll stop adding details when I run out of space on my 'TSO' texture, which is about 80% full at the moment.

My to-do list is getting shorter by the day, too, which is a relief. It's now pretty much this (unless I think of more stuff to add):

residents' cars next to houses (I need to make these first)
white lines to edge of the road (as mesh, not part of the road texture)
skid marks in braking zones
spectators
leaf litter under trees
rubber debris on long corners
replace some of the side road barriers with oil drums / hay bales

Then there's just the object optimisation, world details to set up, possibly add a lighting config file for the CSP (but I don't use night so I might not bother). Should be done by Christmas :roflmao:

Thanks for the kind words. I like to add small details like litter bins, benches, bus shelters, road signs, etc because even though they don't jump out of the screen at you and make you think "Oh look, a bench! :confused:", I think you possibly notice when they aren't there. Then it's just grass, hedges and trees for 26km it can get a little wearing on your eyes, but to occasionally see a Unimog out of the corner of your eye, or an old oil drum in the long grass... I just think it's fun :) Plus, they can help with track-learning on a longish track like Fonteny. I'll stop adding details when I run out of space on my 'TSO' texture, which is about 80% full at the moment.

My to-do list is getting shorter by the day, too, which is a relief. It's now pretty much this (unless I think of more stuff to add):

residents' cars next to houses (I need to make these first)
white lines to edge of the road (as mesh, not part of the road texture)
skid marks in braking zones
spectators
leaf litter under trees
rubber debris on long corners
replace some of the side road barriers with oil drums / hay bales

Then there's just the object optimisation, world details to set up, possibly add a lighting config file for the CSP (but I don't use night so I might not bother). Should be done by Christmas :roflmao:
You forgot the most important (and fun) part, the easter eggs :D

@Paul Jeffrey, i think an interview will be required when this piece of art is released!

No speed records in the Voisin but that does give you the time to study the track from all angles ;) (I swear, it's the same sharp bend catches me out every time):

H4ZS9bt.jpg

Was hoping to release this around about now but I think I was a bit over-optimistic, it's close but there's still a lot of little things that need doing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 87 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 62 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 126 13.7%