The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

This is my setup right now, looks crazy, let me explain lol

According to the 'technical appraisal' book I have, the front RC is at ground level, so what we have here is both wishbones parallel with the ground which give that effect. They are extended quite far to the opposite side to further mimic the completely vertical motion of these trailing arms - obviously we dont have any forward/backwards or 'shortening' of the wheelbase the real car would, but imo this is a pretty minor characteristic in the grand scheme of things.
Steering arms are matching IRL, so bump steer should be close to correct.

The rear RC is supposed to be above the CoG, which again makes sense considering the whole half axle pivots at the gearbox u-joints. So for that I've simply brought the upper and lower wishbones together which will give us that same (terrible) characteristics. Front pickup match the IRL link which gives the toe arc.

Rear wheelrate is about 2/3s as stiff as the front as per spec, but as expected with essentially zero roll at the rear, it feels like its 2x as stiff lol. IRL it was apparently prone to jacking a rear wheel the RC was so high.

I'm open to suggestions though to improve this, its only really a proof of concept right now physics wise, I dont have too much time to spend on it currently.

__custom_showroom_1547479054.jpg
__custom_showroom_1547479072.jpg
__custom_showroom_1547479033.jpg

@garyjpaterson
Oh boy. This takes me back to the days of making strange **** in AC. I still do, but it's more like torsion beam trailing arms and the like.

This is pretty bonkers though. I can see it working however. I've made some...interesting and physically impossible/very unlikely toe links before in my day to get some extraordinary characteristics from some extra toe and camber control links in some geometries that we obviously can't simulate in AC. Really long arms that clip through each other routinely etc. It's all good if it works how you want it in the constraints you apply. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Oh and btw, if you adjust the geometry to this degree, or to counter the buggy anti-forces present in AC for example, your *actual* instant center will shift and change your toe curves as well. I'd not know exactly what to do to retain the toe characteristics in such a strange geometry. Try to find some info about the curves/hope for the best.

Cars usually drive a bit better in more complete form than they do when you start even if the GENERAL behavior is right. It's a pretty delicate mix of minute adjustments, tires, aero etc.

There must be so little HD Gopro footage of these cars running on original tires out there, and so little damper dynos and suspension plots that I can imagine most of it is down to the artists' interpretation. :roflmao:

Cars usually drive a bit better in more complete form than they do when you start even if the GENERAL behavior is right. It's a pretty delicate mix of minute adjustments, tires, aero etc.

There must be so little HD Gopro footage of these cars running on original tires out there, and so little damper dynos and suspension plots that I can imagine most of it is down to the artists' interpretation. :roflmao:
Damper dynos? For these? :roflmao:
upload_2019-1-14_15-39-12.png

That’s one track we need @Sergio Loro
;):)
I love that era for sure, made many track for GPL (Tripoli, Cartaghe (3 variants), Nepliget, Parco Sempione, Elaintarharata), still have driveable layouts of Brno and Pescara... there was many tracks from that era to be done!!, i just stop to do this kind of tracks because the 30's mod for GPL never show up, of course if somebody build the cars for AC to high standards, eventually i am going to start to build the tracks :roflmao:

I can understand the tires, the wings, even the air filters coming through the bonnet... but the headlights? That's where I draw the line. :O_o:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 361 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 503 39.0%