The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

The car had a different rear end in 1998...
I am fully aware of that, read my post again ;)
I've been an admin at SMCars (blueprints and stuff) for years and all too often we had people complaining about some lines not matching up. They are guidelines and should always be used in combination with - preferably - hundreds of reference photos.
With these blueprints you can model 90% of the car somewhat accurate. You do the rest by looking at the actual car instead of some black lines.

And yes, I do have experience with 3D modelling of cars. I've done tons back in the days and quite a few without any blueprint whatsoever. Pick your best side view photo and just start recreating the shapes. Again using actual photos to guide you through it. A missing rear end is almost as good as the full thing.

Fancied a bit of colour today - couldn't actually find the proper catalogue of colours for the Anglia, so just chose some nice looking ones you might see in the 50's :D

bNk3CSoh.jpg

L4SKx56h.jpg

Playing around with a couple of skin layouts and planning what bits are going to be what colour. Main carbon tub will be 'painted', so choose your colour, has metallic flakes etc. I'm leaving the bottom section the large carbon weave I think.
Then I have a secondary colour, things like the radiator scoops, as well as of course the wheel covers. Right now the wheel covers aren't mapped yet, so that's why those are still yellow in the above pics - in the future they match the secondary colour in the skin.

jRxXFIch.jpg

RQC8XaBh.jpg

And of course the glass will be customisable, will be redoing the mapping on those soon. Oh and the interior will match the secondary colour - I forgot to do that...

Probably not at all noticable, but the all the suspension, rear gearbox (behind the window) and exhaust are all mapped and have AO :)

EDIT*

Question - Does anyone know what the "isAdditive" shader parameter is in the ksEditor? Seems to have slightly different effects at 0,1 and 2.

Bonus pic of the gearbox since the window doesn't make it all that visible

sMJdHBt.jpg
The colours you chose could IMO be a little more vivid. They probably looked like they do now on old pictures, but in real life? ;)
Also the undercarriage and exhaust shine too much, almost as if the body above it casts no shadow on it.
Can't wait to try it, also ofc the Dallara EggCellence :D I have no idea what to expect in terms of driving feel with it.

The colours you chose could IMO be a little more vivid. They probably looked like they do now on old pictures, but in real life? ;)
Also the undercarriage and exhaust shine too much, almost as if the body above it casts no shadow on it.
Can't wait to try it, also ofc the Dallara EggCellence :D I have no idea what to expect in terms of driving feel with it.
Haha that's a good point, but to be fair I most reference photos I have are quite new, I think most colours back then were a little muted.

Quite right with the exhaust - nothing on the Anglia is unwrapped or textured yet, so its all very WIP.

In fact just for you, I just quickly baked some AO on the exhausts - any better? :p (Shaders need some tlc, but ts better than what it was).

JL1nrzHh.jpg

WPKhGwih.jpg

I would like that copper version - I would like that right now!! :geek::D:thumbsup:

Sure you don't fancy the old school hot rod instead? I'm falling in love with it all over again.
Just unwrapped and ao bakes wheels for the first time, thought I should do the simplest I have available, so the solid steels were the ones to get the treatment.

Spent far too much time roaring up and down the streets of Mišeluk... back to work :geek:
29MsPGph.jpg

qyALu14h.jpg

Reminds me of the 2014 Caterham F1 car :roflmao: Always loved the look of it, except of course the hideous... thing protruding out the nose...

572eyizh.jpg

kgvp6mZh.jpg

Anyway nice to see the wheel covers AO baked - they were always so bright! The inside section/brake ducts are now CF and AO'd. Not a massive amount left to do exterior wise, interior is coming along - making a fire extinguisher and all that stuff.

FKgu2B2h.jpg

:p:rolleyes:

goodness guys
this thread is the best thread, so many pretty and amazing things! I hope the people from @kunos follow this and drop a tear of happiness seeing how many passionate people are putting their best into it!

and here are my 5cents :p
the F1 team skin
170107_preview_f1team.jpg

and the classic combo
170107_preview_classic.jpg

Yes I'm still doing skins... doing the little tasks avoiding the big ones... :whistling:

Hated this thing with the yellow wheel cover things. But now that they are painted I don't mind them. I still don't really like them but it's 1000x better compared to when they were always yellow.

Ok another progress pic that even though it seems the same as the old one theres again a completly remesh over the front and over the side .. new side trim asweel

Think i can now start doing all the smaller details...hood vents door handle the m bumper lights and brake vents

:thumbsup:

ZuxKQS4.png

And some music (go to min 6:10)

Brake glow, finally :thumbsup: Needs tweaking, probably a bit too glowy since its not a particularly heavy car, but it looks cool regardless! Thinking about a rim blur texture next... Not sure where to begin for that really :O_o:

52g5Og0h.jpg

Still need to sort out a proper brake disc texture (drilled holes, normal map etc), but the rims, discs, calipers and wheel nuts are all textured and baked now too.

oHkKmvGh.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 349 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 242 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%