The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Some modeling on car #2 in my Formula 500 project, the Scorpion. To my knowledge this is the only Formula 500 chassis you can currently buy new -- though the design goes a long way back, originating in a car called the Maverick before being adapted into the current car. The rights to the design changed hands again about a decade ago, and these are now being produced and serviced by Mitchell Racing Services in Indianapolis. This chassis has the distinction of having class front-runners using it with both the newer motorcycle engine, and the old-school snowmobile/CVT combo. Due to AC not having a good way to represent a CVT, I will only be representing the former.

View attachment 491697
For a working example of a CVT please search:
Miscellaneous Minutiae Williams FW15C CVT​

For a working example of a CVT please search:
Miscellaneous Minutiae Williams FW15C CVT​
So it looks like you just set it up as a single gear transmission and an engine with an extremely broad torque curve? I had considered that but wasn't going to explore it until after the first round of cars was done. Thanks for providing an example!

3DChassis3.PNG

Sanity slowly fading, but it's been a good aid in making sure the geometry actually makes sense spatially.

@Trava thats because its a completely different custom usage of simplygon through CM, not like a generic script for all cars like with LODgen.
I tried it after it was released 2/3hrs playing around with it Ilja essentially integrated Simplygon he was saying with custom presets/config files, seems fully adjustable, I think some cars would give better results than others, the ones he shown me he tested on the Tornado looked really good, I still feel they would need additional editing inside the 3D software, I still think the hand methods would give the best results and control over the geometry.

How is the NURBS/spline modelling support these days for Blender?
I don't know; they're not splines! I don't really work with splines, so I did it the pleb way, via edges...

I can find their endpoints very easily because they're just vertices, so that's a nice bonus that I don't remember if splines have.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back