The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Does it have an aftermarket exhaust? Those tail pipes look really big.
Well at least custom pipes, yeah, though they're a bit smaller now
Showroom_a3dr_porsche_993_turbo_17-9-2019-8-53-35.jpg

Absolutely no idea what I'm doing but doing it anyway. Wanted to try and put together some sort of track forever but always put off with how much there is to learn and such little time to do it in, so finally decided to do what may be the most boring and least imaginative track ever for AC, just a generic (but crucially, modular) city block.
The idea is because I dont have the time to carefully make something accurate to real life, nor the imagination to make a fun fictional track, I can simply focus on learning the techniques for a very small area (120 square metres to be precise), then make an array to have something decent sized to drive on.
Its also wide enough I can make something akin to a Formula E track with barriers that is at least a little bit more interesting than a 14x14 grid :roflmao:

Screenshot_ks_ford_mustang_2015_citygrid_18-10-119-21-38-12.jpg

First I started messing with physics mesh variables; poly density, noise frequency/amplitude etc to see what felt good on FFB. Had quite a lot of options :roflmao:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Eventually I narrowed down what I wanted, and started with the city block. This is more or less what I have now - the road has a subtle crest in the middle, which you feel when driving in the far left/right lane where the intersecting road influences the road, kinda like that bump at Monaco! :p Its quite bumpy at speed in stiff race cars, though in street cars its totally fine.
unknown.png

So I've started texturing the visual mesh now, not totally happy but its good enough for a first attempt (and not likely for there to be a second attempt any time soon). Road paint, tarmac base and pavement, obviously there is a million and one things I still need to add but its looking reasonable now. Will add some rubber over the intersection to mark the seam a bit, same with asphalt patches and cracks etc.

Screenshot_ks_ford_mustang_2015_citygrid_18-10-119-21-38-48.jpg

Screenshot_ks_ford_mustang_2015_citygrid_18-10-119-21-39-9.jpg

I think modelling trackside objects should be slightly more familiar territory for me, so lets see how that goes in future. Fun to have somewhere to skid around already though :)

Bonus gif if you got this far:

1d291fed0c872ed60c2789e6ea6a253e.gif

Last edited:
s7uXX1Q.jpg

It's nice calling things finished, the cart should be next.

EABVTSp.jpg

Added accurate tach and non-accurate speedo needle, (the KSEditor helper... doesn't at all work. lol. so I just moved everything about 200 degrees and called it good) plus the framework that bolts it on, which has some idiot lights on it that will never light up

Oh, the kart's officially white irl so I can release this whenever I get bored of adding stuff and uv map it.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 119 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 94 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 90 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 64 6.9%
  • < 5 years