The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Little color testing, trying to translate that into AC later. I usually don't like red but this 'Calypsorot-Metallic' is an epic color. It should be 30% darker in game which should come close to the real thing:

NLW8gKx.jpg

In total with subdivision model is slightly below 300k, without it ~245k. There's around 40k to be shed in optimization. Given the interior still needs some details (steering wheel, wheel column stalks, mirror, belts, buttons, 2 vents, some speakers, pedals, door handles) it should come in at around 275k at LOD0 when all is said and done.
That's a lot of polygons for so many hard edges on this model. You need to work out all of them, wheel arches, door seams, hood / trunk, roof, etc. Everything looks like it's been cut with scissors, thought you'd leave that for the final stages. Forget about smoothing groups / hard edges for the body, everything needs to be smooth.

I would love you to do a very simplified 'car modelling for dummies' tutorial one day, @A3DR :inlove: I am fairly competent at 3D modelling, but watching your progress (and other pro car modders) leaves me baffled and quite despondent :unsure: Modelling cars seems to use a completely different process to that used for modelling track props.

I have had to make a few low-poly vehicles for my tracks and found myself reverting to my Zmodeler 1.05 days, triangle-by-triangle :O_o: No big deal for a 1000 tri van, but there's no way I would even contemplate trying to make a high-poly car mesh like that :(

I would love you to do a very simplified 'car modelling for dummies' tutorial one day, @A3DR :inlove: I am fairly competent at 3D modelling, but watching your progress (and other pro car modders) leaves me baffled and quite despondent :unsure: Modelling cars seems to use a completely different process to that used for modelling track props.

I have had to make a few low-poly vehicles for my tracks and found myself reverting to my Zmodeler 1.05 days, triangle-by-triangle :O_o: No big deal for a 1000 tri van, but there's no way I would even contemplate trying to make a high-poly car mesh like that :(

What you're doing with that van, is similar to how I've started, but in 1998. There's plenty of tutorials today available, videos, etc. so there's not much to add there really. Whoever wants to get better at this needs to spend time doing it, that's all. It's a long learning process but there are no secrets, dedication and patience is all it takes. Watching other people's work and learning from it is a good method as well.

I'm always available to help out whoever wants to learn, but go figure, most people wants someone else to do a certain work rather than learn themselves (and for free, most of the time). So while I'm open to help anyone who cares, I'm not willing to waste time doing another tutorial that will probably be forgotten after a week of publishing it :coffee:

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across as lazy. There seems to be so many different ways to model a car, and you make your method look so efficient, effective and effortless (I know that it isn't). I didn't want to pick the wrong video to learn from and pick up bad habits from the start.

Thanks for the advice, though; I'll give it a try one day, maybe :unsure:

Yeah, I didn't mean to come across as lazy. There seems to be so many different ways to model a car, and you make your method look so efficient, effective and effortless (I know that it isn't). I didn't want to pick the wrong video to learn from and pick up bad habits from the start.

I have very similar thoughts on track making - I really want to give it a go, but I know damn well I'll do stuff wrong many times over (which is how best to learn imo) - but I just don't have time for that just now :roflmao:

For what it's worth, both you vehicle artists and track makers look like bloody magicians to me. I did some poly modeling back in the early 2000s in ZMod as well, and I've been using Solidworks professionally for some ~14 years, but I'm still having a hell of a time wrapping my head around modern poly modeling. So much of the workflow seems... weird. It takes me literal weeks to get to where @A3DR and @Stereo get in hours. Doesn't help that I've got a parametric workflow ingrained in my brain, too, which seems to be the antithesis of poly modeling. :roflmao:

Hit @Pessio up for some speed tips - he makes cars quicker than I can make cheese on toast.

There is thread that lilski did on track making tips and materials. Which is fantastic.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/proper-technique-in-track-making-plus-tips.122794/

I would love if guys like A3DR,gary,CC would do something similar. Just tips and tricks.
I know there is very good posts from A3DR on photo matching that its some random thread. Same with gary or CC spread across random posts.

Also not looking for complete tutorial from start to finish.

Simple stuff.
Like blueprints / photo matching.
What do they start off modelling first.
Do they use turbo smooth (subdivision blender).

There is thread that lilski did on track making tips and materials. Which is fantastic.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/proper-technique-in-track-making-plus-tips.122794/

I would love if guys like A3DR,gary,CC would do something similar. Just tips and tricks.
I know there is very good posts from A3DR on photo matching that its some random thread. Same with gary or CC spread across random posts.

Also not looking for complete tutorial from start to finish.

Simple stuff.
What do they start off modelling first.
Do they use turbo smooth (subdivision blender).
some of the stuff here : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to-mod-links-ref.141062/ :whistling:

Still a beginner myself but one thing I've learnt from my experience so far is be wary of blueprints that are available online, there might be some good ones but a lot of them are awful. Took me a while to notice because it wasn't obvious but the one I had for the type 32 had a slight curve to it, like a banana. Spent a lot of time going back and changing stuff once I realized that photos were a far more accurate guide for that particular car.

I've added a new low-poly car to the surroundings (Citroen Ami 6), and added interiors and transparent glass to all the others (tp replace the previously solid grey glass), which I think was worth doing :)
kuMKURT.jpg

lIeAzi6.jpg

3KrLzym.jpg

NnfoCvc.jpg

I just need to make a few normal 1960s cars to do around near the houses (2CVs, Fiat 500s, DS 21s, etc)

The additional roadside vehicles look great!

I've added a new low-poly car to the surroundings (Citroen Ami 6), and added interiors and transparent glass to all the others (tp replace the previously solid grey glass), which I think was worth doing :)
kuMKURT.jpg

lIeAzi6.jpg

3KrLzym.jpg

NnfoCvc.jpg

I just need to make a few normal 1960s cars to do around near the houses (2CVs, Fiat 500s, DS 21s, etc)
So you're basically drafting car mods into your track mod.
it's... I n c e p t i o n . . .

That's a lot of polygons for so many hard edges on this model. You need to work out all of them, wheel arches, door seams, hood / trunk, roof, etc. Everything looks like it's been cut with scissors, thought you'd leave that for the final stages. Forget about smoothing groups / hard edges for the body, everything needs to be smooth.

Cheers, am aware of the smooth issue. Body itself only has 85k tris so smoothing it out is not that big of a deal. Most 'cuts' you see are only materials, the panels are not cut yet that is just so I know where the seams should roughly be. Will deal with all of that once the interior is done.

Cheers, am aware of the smooth issue. Body itself only has 85k tris so smoothing it out is not that big of a deal. Most 'cuts' you see are only materials, the panels are not cut yet that is just so I know where the seams should roughly be. Will deal with all of that once the interior is done.
Yeah that's a bit too much, the body itself (all metal parts) should be around 50k as a reference, there's really no need for anything more unless it has some complicated shapes, which is not the case. Take a look at my 993, that's 64k including some plastic trim pieces and door sills, if not the body alone it's 48k.
Screenshot_11.jpg

When you're doing the panel gaps make sure they look like this:
Screenshot_12.jpg

And not this, which is what it seems right now:
Screenshot_13.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline