The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I just need to add all the 'non-grass' 3D vegetation (mainly bushes, ferns and shrubs around the bases of the trees), skid marks on the road, spectators and groove, and then the first 5km will be finished :) It's taken me around 8 weeks to get from a plain tarmac / verge / terrain track with nothing else to this point, which doesn't bode well for a quick release :unsure:
It's been a while since I did any coding, but would this work?

10 Do add all the 'non-grass' 3D vegetation (mainly bushes, ferns and shrubs around the bases of the trees), skid marks on the road, spectators and groove
20 Move 5km
30 Goto10
Run

I wish!! :laugh: I have a pretty good system for the vegetation now though, and Fonteny has a lot less wooded area to pass through, so I need to add fewer different types of vegetation - the plain grass areas only use 5 or 6 types, whereas the wooded areas use 15 or 16 to make it look more organic and convincing :cautious:

I think it should probably be completed towards the end of the year :) It's not going to stop me racing round it in its current state, though ;)

Got some good progress given the fact I haven't had time for this in forever...

To remind everyone I'm building a base BMW E31 8 series with 3 variations for initial release:

BMW 850i 6-speed '89:

cnD75K1.png

BMW 850CSi 6-speed '95:

aCTuRBk.png

ALPINA B12 5.0 & 5.7 '93:

f9YXA4q.png

For me personally I'm happiest about finally figuring out the rear door panels and wrap around carpet/rocker panel cover which means the interior 'tub' is now complete and only needs refinement (arm rests, buttons, head rests, rear seat bolsters, etc. etc.):

NePvPI4.png

XvjJbNs.png

JAE0gN7.png

Also for the longest time the rear lights were unfinished and after some changes not aligned with the rear bodywork so I tackled them at last:

lA9tMiW.png

7KfJ2b0.png

jGjjpi6.png

Will eventually get that cool continuation of the front door panel indentation

into the rear one...

The rear bodywork especially upper bumper and trunklid/rear quarter panels need some geometry reduction and cleaned up lines - yet to be done.

VZUlEpZ.png

Refined door handle and the side collision strips which in later models also housed the additional side indicator light at the frontend:

73PGufW.png

Door is separated and as on the original the rear quarter panel bulges out to the wheel well while the front one slightly turns in as it meets the door and follows along the arch from the front wheel well.

lR3NCj5.png

Added rear view mirror details, window triangle and arm. Still looking for some source images of the assembly but for now parented everything to the door axis so they can be opened:

fnulcw5.png

And some very early bi-color interior leather accents can be glimpsed at:

yyGYvOY.png

Here it is ready for export (which successfully imported into KS Editor):

dBjcQMk.png

Render madness:

FCU6jhC.jpg

Vb4q3uo.jpg

WrrKtfA.jpg

This one was done during the rear bodywork adjustment hence the subdivision and smoothing errors along the lights but still - what a shape.

Slightly lowered 850i:

qDHkB9s.jpg

Hopefully able to invest as much time over the coming weekend.

I have all of the 'base layer' of 3D grass (short grass right at the edge, low grass & daisies and the verge, and high grass away from the edge), the 3D hay, high / low poly trees and most TSO done for the first 5km :thumbsup: I am aiming to get the track done in 20% sections, rather than try and add 26km of 3D grass, then 26km of fencing, etc, etc. I think this way there will be less chance of me burning out or getting bored.

Following a few comments I have read about my other tracks looking a bit dull, I have increased the saturation of all the 2D and 3D vegetation by around 20%, to give it a more summery, French feel :) I really like how it's turning out...

ybCxlyA.jpg

SMWUA4H.jpg

4tTEqLb.jpg

jWhzite.jpg

s0Rli7d.jpg

jPdoa66.jpg

CdV9lKY.jpg

MajjLmI.jpg

I just need to add all the 'non-grass' 3D vegetation (mainly bushes, ferns and shrubs around the bases of the trees), skid marks on the road, spectators and groove, and then the first 5km will be finished :) It's taken me around 8 weeks to get from a plain tarmac / verge / terrain track with nothing else to this point, which doesn't bode well for a quick release :unsure:

WOW, I absolutely can't wait to drive this track. I mean... just look at it :confused::inlove::thumbsup:

Woohoo! I have got all the trees, grass and other vegetation done for the first 5km (about 20% of the whole track). I love it! And after watching the start of Le Mans, I thought I would try some modern LM cars round my 1960s track - amazing! :inlove:
6edppOf.jpg

w4jPv9P.jpg

EtQvGA5.jpg

7b8A2Vw.jpg

pLlePps.jpg

Right, on to the next 5km... :sleep:
It looks amazing in the photos but even better in VR. Truly transforms what was already a gorgeous circuit. This is your magnum opus mate... until the next one, of course. ;)

Last edited:
Looks fairly good for no blueprints, I think the whole bottom area of the side should be pushed inward more though.
PbZdlFJ.jpg

Top of the side also needs to curve in more although I suppose that could be part of being wip

Also I can't find any photos that show it clearly but you should keep in mind that the rear door needs to be able to open while the front one is closed, so the side view of that seam will have a curved shape matching the shape of the door (this is exaggerated)
VgOi4W9.jpg

The tendency is that from a front 3/4 view this edge will look straighter, and from a rear one it'll look curvier, getting those both to match up will help you get the side to bulge out enough also. Usually somewhere around 20-30 degrees forward of a side view it'll look like a straight line.

Last edited:
Doesn't look helpful, at least from this pic

but looks interesting

Profile shots don't reveal a lot of geometry (in) accuracies. With the right perspective front/rear and similar lightning/colors it becomes super helpful. That said, I'm mostly busy with finishing the interior and only iron out any obviously uneven exterior flaws so I can release in summer :).

Creating the V12 sound will be bottleneck numero uno.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 327 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 459 39.2%