The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I like road legal sportscars from 1985 till 2005. And older. But really this is about present, and I don't like typical present road supercars too much.

Originally I thought this should be cheapish sportscar, almost a supercar, but not really. But it is slowly getting more fancy. Perhaps I'll manage to bump it down a bit to the mortal looks. Though good designs ofcourse doesn't age, but those are made by good designers lol

Ah, in that case I'd say the greenhouse needs to get a bit more curvature; the side windows, for instance, look almost dead flat. Adding a bit of curvature there should help. Same with the sharp corners of the glass; we don't see that as often anymore unless there's a line that carries through the car past the glass. :)

I like road legal sportscars from 1985 till 2005. And older. But really this is about present, and I don't like typical present road supercars too much.

Originally I thought this should be cheapish sportscar, almost a supercar, but not really. But it is slowly getting more fancy. Perhaps I'll manage to bump it down a bit to the mortal looks. Though good designs ofcourse doesn't age, but those are made by good designers lol
I think the looks match very well with something that has about 350bhp. Of course the shapes need more polish as it is quite rough shape.The rear is very early 90s and the greenhouse needs more shapes imho.

To me it looks somewhat similar concept as a lotus evora (especially with gary's bigger wheels) in terms of how it might perform. I know it is tempting to keep adding more power and downforce to make the car feel "better" because it has bigger numbers but don't underestimate the fun you can have in a well behaved, light and nimble 300bhp car that relies on grip and agility to get around corners instead of downforce and straight line grunt.

What do you mean about greenhouse guys ? You mean it needs to have less drag ? I think such strict shapes without too much little bits and features could possibly be quite efficient too.

I think cars are extremely curvy and with tons of features now because not only because all of them might have functions, but also because trends.

I agree about ~350hp, perhaps in the range from 300-500hp. I also wish it would be rather lightweight. Fun factor could be very well adjusted by not underpowering the car by adding too much downforce, or putting on too wide tires. Preferably rather narrow ones with durable hard compound :D

Currently looksl like this, I don't see front end changing very much, unless some good ideas comes. Probably will tweak rear end a bit, but general shape and proportions are pretty much set, I think.

Model is of course just rough mess, as for example window corners would get rounded up a little and so on... lots of dents and broken lines such as in arches lol

Thanks for the help, original one was a bit more like Audi 100 C3 than a sports car. But I think it is a bit too fancy style now.

x4k9A6X.png

ka51FjK.png

Niptwuh.jpg

ptaPDut.png

ksdXc9P.png

dBjcQMk.png

I've not worked on this for so long that I actually misplaced all my textures for the materials in KS editor. In any case successfully exported the model into fbx and loaded into the editor. Do the materials and import tomorrow. Got lots done today on the exterior and interiror and test drove the reworked suspension and physics with the 'low power' 300hp 5.0L V12 - quite smooth. More coming tomorrow...

What do you mean about greenhouse guys ? You mean it needs to have less drag ? I think such strict shapes without too much little bits and features could possibly be quite efficient too.

From my side, I'm purely talking about how flat the surfaces are. That just simply doesn't happen on most modern vehicles (or classic ones, it must be said), and having flat windows really calls to attention that it's a fictional car. I understand wanting to keep lines simple, but there should be some curvature to the surface. Even the 70s 'Folded Paper' style cars like the Esprit and Countache don't have any flat surfaces on them, everything is actually curved.

The other thing a lot of people tend to miss on fictional cars is transitions between elements. For instance, all around the greenhouse there is a complete hard edge where it meets the body and both shapes are completely disparate; they don't really 'speak' to eachother. This is very rare in vehicle design; usually there's some kind of transitional surfacing tying them together in some way.

I quite like the overall impression the design creates right now, and I like the low power, hard tires approach to the ethos of the car; those are the most fun to drive, always. Looking forward to seeing how it develops :)

Greenhouse is the rear section of the cockpit. I think it is good idea to look at lots of real cars how they do that area. For example in lotus evora there is a color change on the c-pillar and the corners of the windows touch there. Nice subtle little thing you won't notice until you really look at it. Audi R8 has that color bulge on its side whereas ferrari 488 has a sort of continuing window line from side to rear. Mclaren 570s has more shapes over the rear trunk area. The new nsx is pretty conservative around that area and the new ford gt goes all out for aero. Also because I think it is really beautiful I think the laferrari deserves a mention. It has a cool black panel gap that goes from the side all around the rear splitting the rear wing in two. I think you are not making a laferrari so to speak but being able to add those kinds of details really helps with the shape and I don't mean you should add lots of complex shapes to it.

I think it helps a lot with the shape if you get a driver model sitting inside the car so you get the cockpit measurements right. I'd also do the same for the engine and gearbox. Just model a basic engine+gearbox+diff combination and that gives you pretty good idea how much rear overhang you need. If you later put it into the game those will also help with the weight balance. That also allows you to try different engines and see what works in terms of shape. V12 and 6 speed manual is going to make the car longer whereas transverse turbo I4 allows for shorter wheelbase. If you model some kind of under car aero like a diffuser you also learn about the limitations of flat 12 engines. Doing the engine selection also allows you to google the weights for different combinations which can be fun exercise or painful compromise. You can effectively shape the car as you like and then put an engine into it that fits or just pick an engine you want and make the body shaped around it.

Would anybody be interested in helping my with the physics of a 1995 JGTC Nismo R33? A while ago I started this model but not had time to finish it because of uni work. I've mostly finished the exterior of the car and I'm going to be putting some work into the interior soon. I have the car working in AC but I've just copied over the physics from a JGTC NSX of a similar era, it's drivable but it doesn't feel very convincing. I've made 8 different liveries as accurately to the 1995/96 season as I could given the limited number of reference photos. I've also made the LODs, if anybody is interested please drop me a message and we'll take it from there :)
samuel-rodgers-wip-10.jpg

samuel-rodgers-wip-18.jpg
samuel-rodgers-screenshot-r33gtrlm-lemans-2017-11-4-119-15-43-36.jpg

samuel-rodgers-wip-24.jpg

samuel-rodgers-wip-35.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-34.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-29.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-30.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-38.jpg

samuel-rodgers-porfolio-01.jpg

Would anybody be interested in helping my with the physics of a 1995 JGTC Nismo R33? A while ago I started this model but not had time to finish it because of uni work. I've mostly finished the exterior of the car and I'm going to be putting some work into the interior soon. I have the car working in AC but I've just copied over the physics from a JGTC NSX of a similar era, it's drivable but it doesn't feel very convincing. I've made 8 different liveries as accurately to the 1995/96 season as I could given the limited number of reference photos. I've also made the LODs, if anybody is interested please drop me a message and we'll take it from there :)
samuel-rodgers-wip-10.jpg

samuel-rodgers-wip-18.jpg
samuel-rodgers-screenshot-r33gtrlm-lemans-2017-11-4-119-15-43-36.jpg

samuel-rodgers-wip-24.jpg

samuel-rodgers-wip-35.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-34.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-29.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-30.jpg
samuel-rodgers-wip-38.jpg

samuel-rodgers-porfolio-01.jpg

This is the RWD, Double wishbone version, right? I've made R33 GT-R AWD, Multilink physics, but I imagine none of it is applicable to the JGTC car. If I didn't have my hands full, I might chip in. Unless you're fine with a hackjob. :roflmao:

This is the RWD, Double wishbone version, right? I've made R33 GT-R AWD, Multilink physics, but I imagine none of it is applicable to the JGTC car. If I didn't have my hands full, I might chip in. Unless you're fine with a hackjob. :roflmao:
Yeah you're right it was converted to being RWD, not to mention changed in so many ways compared to the factory model. They made a road going version of the racecar to justify these changes, so it's probably closest to that. Thank you for the offer though! :thumbsup:

looking good!
It seems there is quite a big community there! (assuming the author is japanese)
is there a japanese RD too ? :D
He's asian but not japanese though.
But yeah, there's a big community of touge (mountain pass) tracks and JDM cars. Along with 90sGDSP who's recreating most of the drifting spots and famous touge, Antu has the same passion for it, specially all related to Initial D, so expect from him some extra tracks in the future.

Last edited:
rF9cNhJ.jpg

here i was thinking i was finished messing with the okayama track.
fixed the insane distortion on the inside pit asphalt, and now 80% done redoing all of the pit buildings, eventually this will have all original textures at one point or another. (if i have the patience.)

Last edited:
I have all of the 'base layer' of 3D grass (short grass right at the edge, low grass & daisies and the verge, and high grass away from the edge), the 3D hay, high / low poly trees and most TSO done for the first 5km :thumbsup: I am aiming to get the track done in 20% sections, rather than try and add 26km of 3D grass, then 26km of fencing, etc, etc. I think this way there will be less chance of me burning out or getting bored.

Following a few comments I have read about my other tracks looking a bit dull, I have increased the saturation of all the 2D and 3D vegetation by around 20%, to give it a more summery, French feel :) I really like how it's turning out...

ybCxlyA.jpg

SMWUA4H.jpg

4tTEqLb.jpg

jWhzite.jpg

s0Rli7d.jpg

jPdoa66.jpg

CdV9lKY.jpg

MajjLmI.jpg

I just need to add all the 'non-grass' 3D vegetation (mainly bushes, ferns and shrubs around the bases of the trees), skid marks on the road, spectators and groove, and then the first 5km will be finished :) It's taken me around 8 weeks to get from a plain tarmac / verge / terrain track with nothing else to this point, which doesn't bode well for a quick release :unsure:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back