The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

ELKd3ny.jpg

For a split second there, I mistook the driver's helmet for a "bubble gum machine", "party hat", "disco ball" (depending on who you are and where you're from) in development... :roflmao:

Bubble-Gum-Machine-Police.jpg

An alternative for flash to pass on track?

Last edited:
The 'save pos' button saves the steer.ksanim which usually seems to work when the knh does nothing, threw an error when I tried it though.
Maybe he doesn't have the steer.ksanim in the folder yet, so that's why saving the position with CM does nothing. Use it all the time myself, never had an issue with it.

Maybe he doesn't have the steer.ksanim in the folder yet, so that's why saving the position with CM does nothing. Use it all the time myself, never had an issue with it.

Yep. I'm guessing but I think maybe it errors for me because I borrowed the driver model from Stereo's blender rig to make a mechanic (old 20s style grand prix car) and the object naming is still the same, game doesn't seem to mind but it's probably not ideal.

A bit partial to the Dunlops as well...

The more I look at it, the more I think the "GOODYEAR" lettering is a little too large for a vintage tire. I'm starting to think it looks a more contemporary racing tire and would match up well with a set of fat stenciled Avons, but maybe it looks a little out of place with the other two. Or maybe not, hard to say...

goody_blue_ex.jpg

The photo I found was gold in terms of raw texture making materials; clear, high res, head on no perspective shot, even lighting and good contrast...but it doesn't lend itself well to scaling the character size while attempting to adjust the radius of the logo arc to suit.

I'm somewhat limited in what I can do given the tire textures are shared between the fronts and rears, so it has to be a compromise and work for both.

After encountering this photo during the week, I made the call on what to do with the Goodyear weenies for the GT40. The fact that I'm still messing with these may indicate some sort of mental illness on my part, but so be it, I had to see it through. :)

donahue_gt40.jpg

I gave up on using the photo I'd found and shifted to manual mode. After a bit of fiddling...

Before:
gt40_gy_orig.jpg

After:
gt40_gy_vint.jpg

Opinions welcome.

Last edited:
Opinions welcome.

I think the blue streak should be a smaller diameter. In the game shots, it looks like it is right at the tread block and in the B&W shot from Daytona, it looks like it is a bit down on the shoulder.

Edit: Worth noting that the Daytona shot is a Mk II from 1966, I think, while the Kunos car is 1968-9. Goodyear may have changed their sidewall between those years.

I think the blue streak should be a smaller diameter. In the game shots, it looks like it is right at the tread block and in the B&W shot from Daytona, it looks like it is a bit down on the shoulder.

I agree, but one of the issues with this particular car is that the tire and wheel textures are shared across all four corners which presents some scaling and alignment problems (among other things), limiting what I can do. I had initially changed the location of the streak but it looked off from front to rear on the car due to the sharing/scaling, so I returned to the location of the gold stripe used on the Kunos Firestones. Seems like their placement of the stripe wasn't so random and works the best compromise between front/rear.

I guess I'm shooting for a "reasonable facsimile" and having some fun as well. I am staring to think I could us a few more points on the "GOODYEAR" text size and spacing. It looks like it could spread across a bit more of the tire sidewall. This is the front so it will be more exaggerated on the rear.

Edit: Worth noting that the Daytona shot is a Mk II from 1966, I think, while the Kunos car is 1968-9. Goodyear may have changed their sidewall between those years.

Quite true and quite possible, that's been part of the issue. I've got so many reference photos with variations, it's hard to decide which way to go.

Good explanation. Probably won't help, apart from confirming blue streak location, but here's a TransAm tire from 1970.
View attachment 247872

Great reference photo. Always like a set of mini lites as well. :)

Yeah, there's another catch. The blue steaks came in so many forms, from street to strip to track with some differences in overall appearance.

Studying that photo, it seems the spread across the tire sidewall isn't as great. Maybe it's just the angle.

This all started when I created a few skins for the GT40, I was using/releasing them with the liveries. Any merit in releasing these as a tire pack?

Last edited:
For a split second there, I mistook the driver's helmet for a "bubble gum machine", "party hat", "disco ball" (depending on who you are and where you're from) in development... :roflmao:

Bubble-Gum-Machine-Police.jpg

An alternative for flash to pass on track?
The 'rotating object' code works on driver helmets... I'm a little afraid to try it on his neck bone.
Ihk84TX.jpg

[edit] game doesn't like neck bone either...
Code:
CRASH in:
OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x300-0x1
d:\dev\dev_pc_master_race\acs\rotatingobjects.cpp (57): RotatingObjects::update

Sorry for the spam-fest but I just got the last part of my vegetation in place and had to see how it all looked in-game :)

Wdn95R0.jpg

Just over million tris, 26 different plant types all using a single texture, all set up correctly with LODs... I can't get over just how well AC handles 3D grass / trees :confused:

27FRxIY.jpg

vKWP6lT.jpg

JiXCysi.jpg

mpHKPz2.jpg

I am rather happy :)

:confused::confused::confused:

Jaw-dropping.

Late to the party, I know, but I've been away on business for a week.

Oh really? Can you say more?

Sure, it's the mildly famous Bugatti type 32, the 'Tank de Tours', from 1923. I started it because I love the vintage stuff and even though I've dabbled with Blender for years I've never really gone in depth with it so I thought it'd be a nice easy shape to learn with.

It's difficult to find good information on it, plus I'm still learning how to do things in Blender and AC but I've got it to a stage where I'm cackling childishly to myself while drifting it round corners on the 1938 Donnington track, and the obsession has bit so hard that I've got a Voisin C6 Laboratoire almost modeled for a bit of competition.

Couple of pics if I can work out how to post them here...

Still not sure about the mechanic/engineer, does look a bit like you're taking a corpse in a dopey hat for a drive
__custom_showroom_1524484381_zpso6nod5wv.jpg

Action (terrible driving) shot
20180422190213_1_zpsbycht4ym.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 245 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 161 9.9%
  • < 4 years