The weird new noise - what is it supposed to be?

Hello,

AMS2 is my favorite, but two recent changes in sounds bother me.

There is a weird new noise. It's kind of like a rising, sucking moan (except disconcerting instead of sexy). I've heard it most often when accelerating hard in low gear. What on earth is it supposed to be? A slipping clutch sound or something?

Also, that stock bucket-of-bolts grinding noise (e.g. for hitting the rev limiter) butts in all the time now. It's incongruous and annoying.

The sounds a car makes are very important. A car should sound awesome and not annoying. That all-purpose grinding noise is obnoxious, and that weird new moan is terrifying. :confused:

Last edited:
Hello,

AMS2 is my favorite, but two recent changes in sounds bother me.

There is a weird new noise. It's kind of like a rising, sucking moan (except disconcerting instead of sexy). I've heard it most often when accelerating hard in low gear. What on earth is it supposed to be? A slipping clutch sound or something?

Also, that stock bucket-of-bolts grinding noise (e.g. for hitting the rev limiter) butts in all the time now. It's incongruous and annoying.

The sounds a car makes are very important. A car should sound awesome and not annoying. That all-purpose grinding noise is obnoxious, and that weird new moan is terrifying. :confused:
Can you record a video of this happening to give a clue?

If you can’t provide a video like @wolftree mentioned, then some more info is really needed. Are you using speakers or headphones for your sound? What car or cars does it happen in? Same car or cars for both noises that are bothering you? Etc…

I’ve not noticed anything like you mentioned in your original post. I use medium sized desktop speakers for my sound and have been driving mostly GTEs, F-Retro G1, and F-Vintage G1 since the v1.2.4 update came out.

Hi,

Sound is played through a 55" OLED TV. I can promise that the noises are real and produced by the game.

I normally drive classic F1 cars. Not all make the noises. The Lotus 49c, for example, does not.

Most or all of the Formula Classic cars do it to some degree. If you want to hear for yourself, hop into the Formula Classic Gen 3 V8 (third option), for example, and hit the rev limiter. Voila, the nasty "bucket of bolts" sound.

I think this is the intended rev-limiter sound for that car (and some others), but it just doesn't sound like hitting the limiter should, in my opinion (it sounds like you are destroying your engine), and it now seems to be reused for other purposes, too.

The moan is a little harder to cause, but accelerating hard in first gear, like from a stop or near stop, seems to cause it fairly often.

The problem with the noises isn't that they are there, it's that they don't seem to match with expectations, and therefore they stick out. Hitting a rev limiter should change the engine sound, but it shouldn't sound like you have just destroyed your engine (if there isn't any limiter then that may well happen, but that's not the case here, as there certainly is a hard limiter). Similarly, the "moan" is just weird and disturbing if there's no understanding of what it supposedly represents.

Driving some of the Formula Classic cars now is a constant barrage of trash noises that frequently overwhelm what might be a sweet engine sound, to the point that I may have to find other cars.

I should say that I'm very sensitive to noise in general. I already avoid contemporary F1 cars because the "chipmunks on meth" engine sounds are exhausting to my ears.

Thanks.

Edit: I looked at my settings and set a few options that I had been experimenting with back to "authentic," and the "moan" seems to be gone. Could it be related to traction control or something, maybe?

Last edited:
Another update: I can no longer reproduce the "new" noises, no matter what I do. Maybe changing the settings reset something, or rebooting did something, I don't know. I guess I'll call it just one of those weird glitches. Sorry for the concern.

But my advice would still be for them to ease up on the grinding noise used for reaching the rev limiter on certain cars. The negative feedback has trained me not to lean on it, but still, as I said, cars should sound awesome!

Last edited:
Yet another update: It's real, I've isolated it, and it's stability control!

Maybe I don't know what stability control is supposed to sound like, but if hitting the rev limiter is, incongruously, "grinding a bucket of bolts," then apparently stability control is "gargling a bucket of bolts."

You will hear it too one day, at least depending on the car. Luckily, most cars I prefer never had stability control, so leaving it off isn't a problem.

The down-sides of being fussy about noise, I guess. ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years