The W.I.P. Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work 2CV! I kinda have the same idea of making "non race" stuff, since everyone else will be doing just that, which is why I'm modelling a Plymouth Prowler, it's a really rare car in racing games that I like a lot, so I want it to be in AC. :)

Many thanks for many compliments! :)

You deserve a new screenshot :p

@ CCX Can't wait to drive online with mini & 2cv together ;)

@ XN-Sigma It would be cool to show a thread about your Chrysler, it's an intersting model and your model is already very nice.

@ Dinca Andrei It looks like unknow for now about AC but I already experimented to make a 280 000 polys triangles model by the past and it ran very well even with 8 cars (online players), on medium PC (core2duo 3Ghz for one of my friends).
As it's higly accurate 3D shape, I did not need lot of texture. Nowadays, I think that take a look at memory size (3D files + texture files) is more interesting than to look only at polycount.
Real time shader like AC is doing may be a new load for high poly models, I mind about that but their game looks to run very well.

@ Shadow Explorer How I could not say the same about your Supra? :)

The tractor is Massey Ferguson 65 mk II. It may be possible that I want to show how it feel to drive a tractor as there is no real trator simulator yet, I mean about realistic driving feeling. It's intersting cause lot of animation is required about steering wheels until the rim, engine fan and others. Make a tractor for AC was a little bit joke, but I can't really say I"ll do not :D

Understand and i hope your right.That will be nice indeed,but i am a bit sceptical about that high number of poly since in pCars the polycount is lower than 20k 200k(not in photo mode) and it has a big impact on my PC.:unsure:

EDIT...Not 20k but 200k,sorry my mistake.

Indeed new pc's are capable of processing such big polycounts.
Personally, I do not mind the polycount at all for such project,
I just use as much as I feel the model needs considering the details and modeling style,skill etc.

Then the GT300 ones might be effectively 7-10 times lower than that.
I will be happy if supra in its full detail form can run in time attack.^^

...I already experimented to make a 280 000 polys triangles model by the past and it ran very well even with 8 cars (online players), on medium PC (core2duo 3Ghz for one of my friends).
Indeed new pc's are capable of processing such big polycounts.
Personally, I do not mind the polycount at all for such project,
I just use as much as I feel the model needs considering the details and modeling style,skill etc.

Then the GT300 ones might be effectively 7-10 times lower than that.
I will be happy if supra in its full detail form can run in time attack.^^

I see a problem in the making here, it's been confirmed that AC car models range from 55k to 65k polygons, the whole engine will be optimized for that amount of polygons per car, if people start adding car models that go much higher than that the game could become simply unplayable at some points depending on how powerful the user's PC is. Point is, most people have average PCs, to me, having to have a race with only a few cars because they are much more detailed than I can actually see ingame is pointless, judging by the AC pics, 65k car poly cars are perfect enough for the game, anything more would simply be wastage.

AC cars look as detailed as pCARS' cars, the difference is that pCARS' cars have every single internal detail made in 3D, things that you can only see if you total your car anyway.(which happens a lot in pCARS lol)

It's a potential problem.
Something its not good or bad on it's own.

If you plan to use a model like that alone, then yes it is a problem.
If you start introducing lods and\or different versions,then I do not see anything harmful.

That is,unless you go the forza route,they just meshsmooth their stuff.
Considering something like that then yes every additional polygon might be a waste...

The polycount kunos picked is the ideal one for now,not restrictive and not over the top.
However do not forget that modding is also a form of art and expression
so its better to have people explore new possibilities.

Dont forget that games like GTR2 used meshes around 14k but today most of the stuff created or ported to the engine are several times higher.

Here's a stress test of GTR2 and this mesh is well beyond 280k tris playing along a full grid
of course things with AC will be more complex,but generally lods will take care of any issue.
toyota_supra_GT_GTR2_full_detail_test_2.jpg

Yeah, I agree that LODs can make a lot of difference, I'm probably just over reacting. :p

Actually, I just decided to do some testing in pCARS, played with 64 cars in LOW settings and on ULTRA settings, and in the end the difference in speed didn't pass 7fps, I'm also thinking that the quantity of cars gives a higher framerate drop than the actual total polycount of them for some reason, my guess is that the amount of separate objects is what causes the drop.

I also heard that AC will be lighter than pCARS(I wouldn't doubt this one since pCARS is by far the heaviest game I have here), actually I think AC will be a lot lighter than pCARS.

I guess it wouldn't make much difference in the end if you use a very highpoly model with as few separate parts as possible for the player and LODs in the same level as the other cars in AC for the AI.

Also, I understand where you come from, I too can't hold myself while modeling, I always try to make things as smoothly and detailed as possible. the original mesh for my Prowler had 30k polygons, it has around 9k now after some heavy optimization, but even so I don't want to give up on the smoothness, I'm still smoothing some parts here and there. hehe :D

Oh and that pic you posted exemplifies what I said earlier, in that screenshot it doesn't matter if the car has 280k polygons, it looks just like any 20k~30k polygons car there. ;)

Well again if the polygons are well spent,I see no issue :)
a number on it's own doesn't say much.
You have to see wireframes,all the things that are modeled.
to come t
Some cars need way more polygons than others etc...

as for pcars, aren't the model's rigged to have animations?
Like the bonnet to go up and down a bit?
This adds up , but its a nice feature.

well from far away the cars look similar 200k or 2k. doesn't matter
Thats why lods exist,to reduce the computing power needed
but from close ups there is big difference^^

Yes, the car models in pCARS have many animated parts, all of the suspension parts, axis, brakes and wheels are fully animated, some parts vibrate based on the rpm, like hood, and some interior parts, there are many detachable parts depending on the car too, they are some of the most detailed ingame models I've seen, second to the Autovista models in Forza 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back