Tracks The Snake (Mulholland Highway) Malibu - Assetto Corsa

Phoenix77

Premium
The Snake
the_snake_photo_01.jpg

The Snake is a renowned 2 mile section of the Mulholland Highway which climbs into the Santa Monica mountain range in Malibu, California.
the_snake_05.jpg

At the moment this is just a highly tesselated mesh (especially along the mountain ridges) with a 12k satellite diffuse texture lined up over the top...
the_snake_03.jpg

This was to be another "small" test area... Then I saw the surrounding roads.... :D

Kanan Road
the_snake_06.jpg

n9_04.jpg

n9_01.jpg

A long open, high speed, mostly 4 lane road going through 3 tunnels.

Latigo Canyon Road
Which in my opinion looks even better than the Snake, this road is much longer than 2 miles, and has a severe lack of guardrails, and amazing corners.
the_snake_07.jpg
lcr_satellite_01.jpg

lcr_photo_04.jpg

Sometime in 2018 I'll release an early version, starting with "The Snake" section.
I took these screenshots in game (with added reference images). As I was curious to see if it would load with the amount of edges it currently has.
the_snake_02.jpg

Last edited:
Can't wait to try it, I know The Snake pretty well so I'd be interested to see how accurate it is.
Cool that you know it well... You're very lucky to drive on some of these epic Californian roads. Hopefully I can get it as accurate as my Pacific Coast track... I'm not using Lidar or Laserscan data... but it should be a pretty decent rendition.

Amazing man! only if i knew how to take this pictures of the roads in my country, im sure it would be roadpr0n for you :roflmao:
Thanks mate, I think I've probably bitten off more than I can chew with California's epic roads for the next few years :D

Looks a lot like LA Canyons to me, which means I'm very much looking forward to learning those roads! Can't wait :)
Cheers mate, TBH Latigo Canyon Road is the road that's tempting me more than The Snake. And speaking of LA Canyons... The road will be pretty much losing those shoulders all the way round... and seeing as I'm going to put in the intersections it would be rude not to put in approx another 25km of Angeles Crest... A 40km run down to Pasadena should be pretty fun :) An 8km road to Mount Wilson should also be pretty fun along a sharp mountain ridge. And a 14km run along Big Tujunga Canyon Road over a couple of bridges and by a dam should also be interesting.

Have done some basic measurements and LCR will be 15.3km's... Thanks to the road being so twisty and doubling back on itself so frequently... The roads furthest end point is only 7.5km from the origin... So should be fine on the physics jittering effect on big tracks in AC. No roads end will be more than 9km's from origin :)

@garyjpaterson You'll have to also relearn the Canyons.... When the shoulders are no longer there, the intersections go in, and it has an FFB mesh... your 9:35 time probably wont be beatable :D

Ok once the Viper RT/10 is completed and this course is ready we will have to have online "Snake offs" where we all jump on a server running "The Snake" and cruise around driving The Snake ie; Viper, hahah :roflmao:

Viper vs Cobra? :D

HAHAHA great idea ! :thumbsup: The Viper might have a bit of an advantage with its more modern tyres. The Cobra is severely limited IMHO with its vintage tires. Although I'm sure there are a few aliens out there waiting to prove me wrong! HAHAH

Be nice if we could get some modern semi slicks on the Cobra, Hmmmmmmmmm, perhaps I will test that out via the Content Manager.

Competitions on The Snake with the Snake? Count me in. I call dibs on being the entrant who can't post a time because I keep dying from horrible crashes.

It's been almost 15 years since I liver in California. I've driven Mulholland several times, but I can't say for sure that I've ever driven it start to finish in one trip. I bet I haven't.

The snake is actually just a really small part of mulholland and to be honest as good as it is, its not even the best part. In real life the snake is usually crowded and swarming with bikers driving on the wrong side of the road. As much as I love it, it is a really dangerous road. That is why I can't wait for this mod. I'll finally be able to not have to worry about the other idiots on the road.

The snake is actually just a really small part of mulholland and to be honest as good as it is, its not even the best part. In real life the snake is usually crowded and swarming with bikers driving on the wrong side of the road. As much as I love it, it is a really dangerous road. That is why I can't wait for this mod. I'll finally be able to not have to worry about the other idiots on the road.
I left California in 2004 so I can't remember a lot of local lingo and places... remind me, what parts did you enjoy more? From which road? Sadly, I never had a chance to drive any of Mulholland in anything besides my GMC Sonoma work pickup truck. :(

I left California in 2004 so I can't remember a lot of local lingo and places... remind me, what parts did you enjoy more? From which road? Sadly, I never had a chance to drive any of Mulholland in anything besides my GMC Sonoma work pickup truck. :(
the snake is defined as the stretch of road from the rock store(where all the bikers hang out) to the look out(where everyone parks). The snake isn't really a long stretch at all. You can get up it in only a couple minutes. I especially enjoy the section on mulholland from the top of the snake all the way to decker, and then I usually continue on decker to encinal and take encinal all the way to pch and head home.

You'd definitely need a map for this track
For the next LA Canyons update.... You'll need a Sat Nav app :D
Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_25-5-118-15-54-18.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_turbo_s_la_canyons_25-5-118-15-54-45.jpg

Work on LA Canyons has put the start of work on The Snake... Latigo Canyon Road back a while... But I've learnt plenty and plenty of things that will help speed up the process, with any luck :)

As always... I really appreciate the support and interest for all my crazy huge track projects :D

At the moment these are for LA Canyons... But will be applied to Pacific Coast... And will also be pretty useful for The Snake, Latigo Canyon Road... and anywhere else in California I decide to do..
fishtail_02.jpg

guardrails_01.jpg

Think I have a road sign for every situation now...
sign_bb_01.jpg

signs_02.jpg

Only 1 material / texture... Now I know a little bit more about Billboard / Atlas textures.

I can't remember the more common types of guardrail end terminals. In Massachusetts, two of the older, more common type I see on the highways and state roads are the bullnose end and a plain rail that they slope gradually until the end is buried in the ground. If you hit one of those at the very beginning the chances are very, very good that you'll flip.

Bullnose End:
8ULuFUW.jpg

yOayJKi.jpg

qH7D7f9.jpg

Buried end:
4sUhs68.jpg

As you can see the Buried End is also used with non-highway roads - the sidewalk gives that away.

When there is a temporary construction zone, or when the highway splits into two the Department of Transportation often uses big yellow barrels.
GIBGaFH.jpg

juMOEwm.jpg

Those barrels are filled with sand to absorb energy upon impact. They're a type of impact attenuators used on American roads. I'm sure they are used all over the world, but I don't know which countries use which types. Plus, this is an American track, so 'Murica First!

You probably don't have a need for any of this information on these roads of yours. But, if you ever construct another road course in the future, perhaps you'll have a use for these things. Keep on, keepin' on, my brother from another mother.. :cool:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back