The Situation in Ukraine / Crimea

Hopefully the crisis in the Ukraine does not escalate into anything further although the signs aren't looking good.

Fingers crossed us NATO nations don't get involved.

Russian-combat helicopters over Sevastopol, Crimea

There should be a referandum in Crimea as soon as possible to avoid chaos there. But i'm sure Russia will not let Ukraine's turning to EU with the latest revolution go without a problem... :unsure:

I couldn't believe it at first but it seems like the situation in the Ukraine worsens. Putin got green light from the upper house and agreed to the possibility of an armed intervention in the east of the Ukraine. The prime minster Jazenjuk threatens Russia with war if a intervention would happen. I think it was yesterday when Russia locked down the airport of Sewastopol with Russian soldiers (without badges) and today the Ukrainian ministry of defence called the reservists to service because many Ukrainian soldiers deserted to the other side. But there are no independent reports about the latter yet.

I wonder what the UN is going to do about this since it is a severe violation against the Charter.

:thumbsdown:

http://web.de/magazine/nachrichten/...-ukraine-liveticker-maidan.html#.hero.300.332
http://www.phoenix.de/content//814425

Last edited:
Fingers crossed us NATO nations don't get involved.
I don't think that's going to happen and it's easy to see why: the risk / ROI calculation just isn't good enough for the NATO.

I recently talked to a friend from Ukraine and he's divided. He's sure the president didn't do any good but he's sure the next president won't be any better, seeing the history of the country and - especially - Tymoschenko.

Yes, no more has this anything to do with protecting the Russian people in the Ukraine as Putin claimed.

Besides pro-Russian demonstrators stormed the regional administration of Donezk. Also earlier today pro-Russian soldiers locked down a ferry dock in the east of Crimea. The media of Kiev said that it could be that these people are provocateurs (well...).

Military vehicles (with Russian plates) rally east of Crimea, Putin's forces are getting reinforced on Crimea too.

However, the news about a Russian ultimatum comes from the Ukrainian ministry of defence. Russia rejects such reports and staff of the Russian fleet call it untrue.

its all pretty fishy... and sadly it seems like it is the perfect timing for Putin - I can't believe that he doesn't care one bit about the international community

http://www.phoenix.de/content//814892
http://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/...et-Eskalation-nach-angeblichem-Ultimatum.html

It could well be possible that Russia is going to fully occupy Crimea to have it separated from the Ukraine should the results of the referendum in march be against the Russian interests. It seem like the Ukraine could be in a dilemma. Simplified scenarios could be either turning west and accept the possibility of losing Crimea or turning east and accept the Russian quasi protectorate.

But I am no expert on this topic. However the press conference with Putin today was pretty interesting to say the least. Not sure if the whole conference is available in English though.

http://www.phoenix.de/content//815375
http://www.phoenix.de/content//815253

Isn't it quite amazing how this has all happened just after the Winter Olympics has finished and after the BILLIONS of € has been poured into the coffers of the Russian Mafia (Putin) & the Russian Government (Mafia) :mad:

Actually we can very well do without Russian gas in Europe. The Russian oil and gas reserves are often very much overrated as there are tons of countries with more natural reserves (Oh Hi Venezuela!!) as alternatives.

On the original topic its disgusting to see how some Ukranian citizens of Crimea are silenced when voicing their free speech opinion at the peninsula.

Starts to look like the 30s in Germany.

Actually we can very well do without Russian gas in Europe. The Russian oil and gas reserves are often very much overrated as there are tons of countries with more natural reserves (Oh Hi Venezuela!!) as alternatives.

It's about Logistics and Cost, fuel shipped all the way from Venezuela is never going to be as cheap nor as reliable as fuel shipped from Russia into Western Europe\UK via a Pipeline and Venezuela is not exactly the most stable of Countries right now.

If Putin gets away with taking back Crimea it concerns me what other Ex Russian Territory will be next?

Last edited:
The solution imo is that the EU finally invests in alternative energy sources instead so there is no need anymore for Russian gas and oil.

We are really hijacked by Putin and Co as long as we (think) we need their natural resources.

There are plenty of solutions that need further investigation/investing.
  • Thermal enegery; if you have a country like Iceland in the EU why not use those incredible green resources.
  • Tidal energy; with thousands of km's of coastal area this should be the best solution for the EU. "use the waves"
  • Solar energy; needs no explanation really; use the desert of Spain for it :D
  • Wind energy; there must be better alternatives than those hideous windmills that ruin the view.
  • Nuclear energy; needs no explanation either. Its green, cheap and safe despite what the environmental maffia is repeatedly telling us.
  • NORWAY!! Lets start a political crisis there :) Let EU-buddies Sweden invade the country and claim those oil reserves (6.900 million barrels). Sorry @Knut Omdal Tveito but we are forcing you to become an EU member. Share the wealth damnit :laugh:!
By the way, energy and this crisis in Crimea, EU vs Russia is very ontopic imo. I am 100% sure that geopolitical motives are the only reason.

but this has nothing to do with the situation Ukraine is facing at the moment

Besides Greece was bankrupt before it joined the EU.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 111 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 84 9.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 116 13.5%