• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

The SimFeedback-AC DIY Motion Simulator thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by sjb266, Sep 17, 2018.

1. HugoB

HugoB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +402
    I'd dare say nobody uses the tactile effects on the SFX100 actuators :whistling: But maybe somebody does, albeit it has never been mentioned in the last 260 pages:cautious:

There really isn't any case for it.. all the canned effects in the world can't compete with real 1:1 telemetry to motion... imho

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur

Ratings:
    +612
    Are you saying tactile only reproduce canned effect?

3. HugoB

HugoB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +402
    No, not only.

But if I’m not mistaken tactile on the SFX100 actuators can only be canned, otherwise it would be called motion right? If roll/pitch/heave doesn’t already do what you want, you’re just adding bumps and vibration effects to certain events. Like adding TC/ABS vibration effects to your FFB, which isn’t there in a real car. Or am I completely wrong here? I understand you can also get telemetry based tactile with transducers that represents real things like track surface feedback, but this is what roll/pitch/heave is already doing with the SFX100 actuators right? What tactile effects are you thinking of that aren’t included in roll/pitch/heave?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 18:25
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur

Ratings:
    +612
    I did not realized you were talking specifically in the case of the SFX 100.

5. SixDegreesOfFlight

SixDegreesOfFlight
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    For Aussies. Picked up the frame extrusions. 80x40mm heavy duty.

PHOTO_20190712_150855.jpg PHOTO_20190712_150923.jpg PHOTO_20190712_150943.jpg

2x1200mm
    7x600mm
    30 sets cast 40x40 brackets, T-bolts and nuts
    Plus cutting to length
    $430AUS

Australia MK Group Pty Ltd
    Factory address : Unit 7, No 103 Lewis Road,Knoxfield Vic 3180
    Email address :
    austmkalu@gmail.com
    danielsun1995@hotmail.com
    Contact number: Daniel 0403 683 919
    Tel: 03 9887 2697

• Like Like x 3
  6. SixDegreesOfFlight

SixDegreesOfFlight
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    The Bunnings run was interesting. I am going to give this box a try for the servo drivers. It has corner mounts so I can put the four servos on timber then screw it into the box. The box is very sturdy and only cost $24. Should be easy to work with

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. SixDegreesOfFlight

SixDegreesOfFlight
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    Daniel and Amy from AliExpress have been great. Very quick to Melbourne Aus (about a week). I simply contacted Amy and said I was making an SFX100 simulator. She sent me the list of what I needed and a price. Daniel too was super helpful. Sent the servos in two seperate parcels. The second one immediately after I confirmed delivery of the first one. Job done! How easy was that.

Edit: yes, it was David not Daniel fro AliExpress. Daniel was for the aluminium order :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 22:42
    • Like Like x 1
  8. anton_Chez

anton_Chez
    Premium

Ratings:
    +530
    Daniel? You mean David? For the servo drivers and motors yeah? Anyway, that box is fine. I'm using a $5 Kmart plastic basket. I've not even remembered it's there since I got everything up and running. It's perfect. My OSW power box sits on top of it and they just blend in nicely with everything around it. I even bought Wago connectors to re-do the wiring once I'd seen others using them. Haven't touched them yet. The breadboard seems to be holding up just fine. If anything happens to it, I'll do it then.

9. Furnace Inferno

Furnace Inferno

Ratings:
    +172
    There is no point trying to compare tactile with motion they are too very different things.

I assume you’ve seen top gear episode when they do joke tests with the cars on cobblestones? If not look it up and you’ll get your answer of what will happen in a motion rig... :O_o:.

The energy the SFX-100 can create is well beyond any tactile unit vibrations. I hit a load of bumps in rF2 at speed and the force winded me as it jumped up and down! That’s with smoothing, there are levels of madness beyond that.

10. wrxawd123

wrxawd123

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone answer how the simlab p1-x stacks up against the gt1 evo x. Planning to pickup a cockpit in a few months but don't know if the simlab p1-x is worth the extra coin. I'm definitely planning on an sfx-100 build so would like to know if the extra rigidity of the p1-x even matters.

11. Mr Latte

Mr Latte
    Premium

Ratings:
    +624
    Im not trying to compare tactile with motion, I agree one cannot replicate the other in what each can fully do but my own build will incorporate both. So I am trying to determine ahead of time what effect sensations people use or enjoy from the SFX.

I was trying to find out what effects/sensations it offered that people were possibly enjoying. I understand it can produce high energy and this will be good for bumps and I fully intend to use it for this with the tactile my own build will also use. Yet I expect via tactile, specific detailing for effects, going direct to different body regions can bring its own advantages.

Its still not clear to me, by peoples comments and talk of canned effects, if some effects they are referring to is from the vibration/energy caused by the motion. Or if some effects offer vibrational feedback and by this I mean like tactile, in that the user can alter the frequencies, there strength or the character for the sensation and control them independent of the motion.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 18:36
  12. GFJunky

GFJunky

Ratings:
    +1
    Tactile transducers is a very good question, I'm interested as well. I'm currently building, most of the way there. Rig already has 4x transducers with Simvibe in chassis mode. Not sure whether to bother wiring them back in and making space for the two big amps they use.

13. saxxon66

saxxon66
    Micha Premium

Ratings:
    +160
    Tactile and motion are very subjective.
    I do like both, both for different effects.

SimFeedback can do tactile using the actuators and/or shaker.
    Both are very limited compared to a full featuered tactile solution.
    Shaker are mono only. The actuator tactile will use all motors at once.

The actuator tactile effect needs to be merged with the motion. You will use it best for a limited time. I. e. It works nice for the iracing telemetry that gives you a hz value going over curbs. (Most curbs in iracing are not moddeled in 3d and so you can feel them very nice.)

SimFeedback is like a toolbox, you can do tactile effects for any telemetry value coming from the game.
    For this you define a tactile effect and choose the telemetry value you would like to use.
    You can define the hz and intensity matched to the incoming telemetry data.
    I do use it for the engine rpm and gear shift only.

If you are looking for a full featuered tactile solution I would recommend using a dedicated software.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Furnace Inferno

Furnace Inferno

Ratings:
    +172
    Hmm, it creates a ton of vibrational energy but not in the same way tactile does, it’s difficult to explain really. Movement just feels different to vibration because you can feel it’s moving you up and down rapidly rather than vibrating.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wmacky

Wmacky

Ratings:
    +21
    OK, i gone through the servo PDF several times, but do not see a reference to the L1, and L2 single phase connection with respect to which gets the hot and neutral. Only 3 phase power is shown.I have to assume that in this case it does not matter or they would have stated such in the factory manual?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 21:55
  16. Davidhatton

Davidhatton

Ratings:
    +0
    wmacky
    For single phase uk 240v wiring L1 is live ( brown wire)L2 is neutral (blue wire) and the earth ( yellow/green wire) goes to the earth tag on the chassis of the motor controller.
    Hope this helps

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wmacky

Wmacky

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks David

18. Wmacky

Wmacky

Ratings:
    +21
    Double post

19. C64

C64

Ratings:
    +137
    I use rumble and rpm in my iracing profile for the sfx100, I don’t have any other tactile stuff on my rig. Simfeedback certainly makes my rig vibrate convincingly at tickover rpm and smooths out at higher rpm. Driving over kerb rumble strip feels really good. I will investigate other tactile stuff in the near future but probably after getting some DIY seatbelt tensioning and G force seat paddles.

20. anton_Chez

anton_Chez
    Premium

Ratings:
    +530
    I think it's pretty safe to say that there's not too much going on with the tactile if it's barely been mentioned in over 200 builds. It's not that people aren't aware that tactile indeed has benefits in its use. Myself as well as others have dedicated tactile setups that we very much use every time we take a car out, sometimes even without the motion. It's that the SFX-100 software and hardware don't do tactile as well as anything used solely for tactile. I did try it and found it to be a little overwhelming, in the sense that I didn't want to overdrive my motors with both high power motion AND a lot of high frequency (comparatively) vibrating.

In other words, for someone as serious as Mr Latte, tactile from the SFX may as well not even be there.

You get gain, hz options and an RPM scale for engine. That's pretty much it. No layers, no individual channel support, a very basic shaker output to a dedicated unit, and very little in the way of actual effects that the tactile is used for.

So, long story short, if you have ZERO tactile hardware or interest in adding it, sure, go for it. Use SFB for your tactile, perhaps with not too much gain to balance out both motion and tactile output from the same motor. If you have even a single decent unit (BK Mini or higher) then there is no reason to not use Shake It instead. Absolutely none.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.