• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

The SimFeedback-AC DIY Motion Simulator thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by sjb266, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Number 20Seven

Number 20Seven

Ratings:
    +3
    Making progress here. Finally got ball screws last week and spent the weekend getting the inserts into the profile (the fact that Kinitic supply two types of inserts is deeply annoying). I also built the DIY version of @Pyronious awesome board which was fun. Next job is greasing the ball joints and assembling the actuators. I'm a little nervous to do the wiring on the servo's / controller's so waiting for my CTO to help me with that to help me avoid frying parts / myself.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Black_rat

Black_rat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +24
    Likewise, still awaiting four bearings from China, SFX board, sliders to print, tomorrow hopefully fork connectors arrive and I will be wiring servos/motors and setting servos up.

20190514_160329.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  3. ThugUK

ThugUK
    Premium

Ratings:
    +140
    Just a few tips from what I found when I built mine.

1. The ball screws came with bleed nipples, so I really didn't need to buy additional ones like I did (good job they were cheap).
    2. Open the start of the threaded holes up in the prints, so make it easier to put the bolts in when assembling. You can do this by threading the bolts in a couple of turns and removing them prior to putting them together.
    3. Use a little oil or grease on the threads to make them easier to screw in.
    4. Don’t over tighten the bolts into the prints. Just remember they are plastic. You WILL hear creaking and a little crunching but don’t worry, this is normal.
    5. Make sure you clean the inner part of the tubing out and don’t forget, like I did, and had to take one apart again.
    6. It’s ok if the slider is a little light, but as long as it fits you should be ok. As long as it does move with a little force it’s ok.
    7. When putting in the reducing bushes I found that reaming the hole out a little helped them ‘bite’ and screw in straighter.
    8. If your feet are a little too loose use a bit of spray glue (cheap from B&M or similar stores) to secure them.
    9. Use a bit of degreaser or alcohol to clean the grease off the ball screw end and motor shaft so the coupler and thread lock bites better.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Megahowler

Megahowler

Ratings:
    +16
    Finally got my extrusion, SFX100 boards (naked) and associated parts to solder them up..NTL also sent a new batch of ball screws with correct spec (42mm) nuts
    Now all I'm waiting on is parts for my 3D printer to start printing parts.
    Also ordered a 2nd 3D printer.. I'm a little addicted to the 3D printing world now

So well on my way to SFX100 land... I will purchase the motors closer to when I actually need them.. I currently don't have a rig to mount them to atm.. Waiting on trak racer to release their 80/20 rig

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moe Ballout

Moe Ballout

Ratings:
    +15
    I wanted to install a 220v plug in the house but I will be doing the wiring myself for the motors. I was referring to the ground issue that causes the motor whine.

6. Snajrog

Snajrog

Ratings:
    +22
    Another mini-project completed. Having two of those fugly yellow e-stop buttons just wasn't going to fit into the OCD flow of things.
    Now just waiting on the Pyronious PC board and we can push the GO button. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

• Love Love x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ThugUK

ThugUK
    Premium

Ratings:
    +140
    Love it.
    Do you do them with a single button?

8. darrenmnz

darrenmnz

Ratings:
    +5
    My NTL package arrived, thankfully they all seem to be the correct length and type, according to the specs.
    Was a pretty easy order and took about 3 weeks from paying to delivery, so thumbs up.

20190513_144825a.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Moe Ballout

Moe Ballout

Ratings:
    +15
    Do you print each file alone one by one 4 times? Or can you print lets say the slider 4 times in one go? Noob question lol

10. Bleak December

Bleak December

Ratings:
    +6
    My almost-noob answer is technically you can print them at the same time by you are also x4 risk if something goes wrong. For small objects I use to print them in one go, larger ones I did one by one. Anyway let’s see what the more experienced have to say!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Moe Ballout

Moe Ballout

Ratings:
    +15
    I was just thinking like the bump stop i can print them. I mean its not big deal I just want to find that answer since I just got it yesterday lol

12. Tim Palmgren

Tim Palmgren

Ratings:
    +22
    The bump stop and the Feet I printed as a 4X print as they are quite small, and didn't have any issues with that. The larger prints though I would definitely not recommend trying for 4 at a time. You could waste nearly a whole roll of PLA on one failed print. Mine was taking between 10-14 hours for 1x on some of the larger prints and the nozzle tracking between the 4 items for each layer adds additional time if you do 4x at once. So yeah...not recommended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Moe Ballout

Moe Ballout

Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you, yes I meant the smaller items for sure not the big objects. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dave_6

Dave_6
    Premium

Ratings:
    +271
  15. Mascot

Mascot
    Card-carrying mod whore

Ratings:
    +858
    • Beer Beer x 1
  16. growe19

growe19

Ratings:
    +1
    Just come across SFX-100 and can't wait to get this together. Is there an approved UK shopping list anywhere?

17. Dave_6

Dave_6
    Premium

Ratings:
    +271
    Well the stuff from Kinetic is ordered at least so we'll see how that goes.

• Beer Beer x 1
  18. Snajrog

Snajrog

Ratings:
    +22
    • Beer Beer x 1
  19. Snajrog

Snajrog

Ratings:
    +22
    The SFX-100 website has it all.

20. adekid

adekid

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello. Do they sell the mechanical parts alone? Just to avoid the construction by ourselves. The SFX-100 are great but some will pay more for 6 kits of the parts already made. Great work Thanos, amazing rig with T L and surge,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.