• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

The SimFeedback-AC DIY Motion Simulator thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by sjb266, Sep 17, 2018.

1. anton_Chez

anton_Chez
    Premium

Ratings:
    +501
    Can't wait for this..............

2. Mascot

Mascot
    Card-carrying mod whore

Ratings:
    +850
    Another V3-owner here who is watching this thread with interest. I do love my V3 but the thought of having a D-Boxish solution for only a couple of grand more... Most enticing.
    I need a couple of UK-based guinea pigs to come up with a shopping list of proven components for the cheapest prices from a 100% working and reliable build, and a source for the 3D printed components.
    Don't want much, do I..?
    :p
    What are the noise levels like with this beast? Any videos without game sounds drowning out the actuators?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ColinMac

ColinMac
    Premium

Ratings:
    +52
    I'd be quite interested in it too. Suspect that within a fairly short period of time you'll likely be able to buy very similar pre-assembled actuators though.

Tried all the motion systems I could get in front of at SimExpo, and would you be surprised to hear I liked the DBOX Vesaro system the best ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steve D

Steve D
    Premium

Ratings:
    +341
    Ditto!

Recent statement to my wife after my OSW and HE Pro purchase to compliment the P1, NLRv3 and VR set up and new PC build.

"That's it Honey I'm done. Nothing more I want or need."

I recall her raising a 'knowing' eyebrow at the time and emitting a type of "hmmmm" sound.

One week on and I find myself watching this thread with way too keen an interest.....

You Bastards!! ;)

• Haha Haha x 7
  5. anton_Chez

anton_Chez
    Premium

Ratings:
    +501
    @Steve D can't blame me this time, mate.

;)

6. Steve D

Steve D
    Premium

Ratings:
    +341
    I will to the missus! You already have a bad rep. :D

• Beer Beer x 1
  7. sdubbin

sdubbin
    Premium

Ratings:
    +54
    Do you daisy chain those servo drivers, do they just plug into a wall socket? I wanna make this but my mrs will go mad ( if she notices ...umm maybe that’s a bit hard) I have one part the breadboard It’s in the kitchen

8. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +719
    For who ever needs it, here's a quick video how to perform the first test on the servos

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sdubbin

sdubbin
    Premium

Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks HoiHman all going to plan it looks. I just need to source some of these parts from places that deliver to the uk and I’m getting started.

10. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +719
    RIght now it can take up to 9 weeks until until some of the parts on the shopping list are back in stock at those companies.

11. cprelot

cprelot

Ratings:
    +8
    Hey Guy's,
    Glad I fund this tread...look like I jumping me too to this project build.:)
    Ok Let's start ordering the AC servo's..
    beside to be 750w do you know if it need to be exactly the same kind? or could be different? need to have Analog input?

Year ago I was planing to do a 6dof with AC servo/Wormdrive and with a thanos controler
    but I give up when I check the price of everything
    so I fund a good deal for this one:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Low-cost-Leadshine-ac-Servo-Driver_60093775808.html
    it could be compatible

12. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +719
    As a former NLMv3 owner i will let you know the difference. I'm very keen on experiencing the noiselevels myself too. Compared to the frex, SCN5 it's superquiet. But i'm expecting it to be more noisy than the NLMv3.

This motion system is actually cheaper than a new NLMv3.

I immediately went in "all the way" as soon as i saw the first video and put the NLMv3 up for sale even though i loved it very much. I have been looking at D-box solutions for quite some years now and am really excited.

There a whole new 80/20 rig comming, with a "stored footprint" of only 80x107cm

Downside right now is that only a couple of games are supported, but.... they are the right ones

- Iracing
    - Pcars 1 en 2
    - Assetto Corsa en ACC
    - Raceroom

Those are the games i only play anyway.

Rfactor and DCS are comming

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. cprelot

cprelot

Ratings:
    +8
    what is the travel distance for that Actuator, 100mm, 150mm?

14. Ringorian

Ringorian

Ratings:
    +79
    The software is open for adding new telemetry providers. Means every guy which is able to code them can add supoort for games. Documented here.

https://github.com/SimFeedback/SimFeedback-AC-Servo/wiki/TelemetryProvider

15. HugoB

HugoB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +372
    Pretty quiet I’d say:

Maybe similar to the clicking of the gearshift paddles? More quiet than the ‘bird chirping’ of typical SCN6 actuators:

You can also ask any questions on the German forum, they have been very helpful to answer in English too. Or maybe google translate can make some sense of the forum, it is full of useful building tips!
    https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/109282-DIY-3KW-Motion-Sim-Rig-Coming-Soon

There’s going to be a real rush on these parts, judging by the enthusiasm :D People have claimed it to be as good as D-Box and the software to be better than anything out there! What a time to be alive.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  16. HugoB

HugoB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +372
    I asked that question too on the German forum and they said 100mm.

17. HoiHman

HoiHman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +719
    I know, tried to make sense of it but i can't

I'm really lucky i jumped on this right away and have everything in house right now, since there are a lot of backorders.

You would imagine that buying from Ali Express is the most uncertain factor, but the whole experience has been great. Helpfull, supporting seller . Reasonalble fast arrival of the servos : 11 days after ordering them.

The parts were very well packed and protected.

Don't know yet what the import taxes are, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

18. wajdi

wajdi
    Premium

Ratings:
    +162
    Woww, great thread. To bad I don’t have any basic knowledge to build something like this. Keep it going.

19. Mascot

Mascot
    Card-carrying mod whore

Ratings:
    +850
    In the UK the goods are normally held until import duties are paid, so if it's the same where you are and you have them in hand... you might avoid the tax altogether.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. sjb266

sjb266

Ratings:
    +421
    As us Aussies would say... ‘ken oath mate!!!

• Beer Beer x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.