The script thread?

Racer is now supporting RSX script which is a pretty nice little tool~expands the possibility of custom content creation.

So....I'll start with a simple script for testing 0-100km acceleration time.

Just put the files into yourtrackfolder/scripts/paint, press spacebar if you want to reset the timer.

Hope it helps~:)

Attachments

• acctest.rar
    1.1 KB · Views: 169
I'm hoping to add the script-per-car functionalities so we can transform elements of the car (so rotate and offset models via script.. door opening?) and also add skeleton-skinning with animation (convertible roof opening?).
I don't know if altering car physics in a script is how we want it, i'll have to ask Ruud.

Sounds nice.
Dare I mention the possibility of ...... visible damage?! After all most damage systems I've seen just use a simple mesh warp. Losing a wheel should be fairly straightforward since it is a separate entity.

It's a little OT but you gave an example for backfire particles in another thread, is there a possibility of getting some documentation for other particles? I tried altering the code in a logical manner for exhaust_smoke, but had no luck.

A massive update for carlab would be OK if it would let us try the ini settings in real time.

Alex Forbin

I'm sure it's possible to do something nice with real-time adjustments etc, it just might be slow.

BUT, I'm happy to develop in say non-cg mode for cool physics things we would like to see, refine them as a community until we all feel comfy with something like a turbo system implementation, then Ruud can just look over the code in a thread, discuss with us if wanted while we develop it, determine the best way to integrate it, then add it to a list of jobs!?

That way we get to try cool stuff out, Ruud can look in now and again and give direction to us, or advise, and then when he is happy it's a good idea and developed enough we get these great features working right straight into Racer...

I generally thing good scripts should be default stuff in the car.ini to start with, but this is a good way for us to go about it, as it frees up Ruud's time and puts to work the massive community here developing these ideas and seeing if they are useful or not :D

Obviously Ruud probably enjoys certain aspects of the development of the solution, but he can still be involved right through, or choose to do it his own way anyway, but we can at least help develop ideas and find pros and cons to methods before Ruud even picks up the problem and tries to solve it :D

Dave

Everything is possible with scripts...I'm hoping to add the script-per-car functionality so we can transform elements of the car (so rotate and offset models via script.. door opening?) and also add skeleton-skinning with animation (convertible roof opening?).
I don't know if altering car physics in a script is how we want it, i'll have to ask Ruud.

Great inputs Mitch ! Would love to see both, especially the 2nd one. Had the same vision some days ago, opening driver window like in GRID (window is always open there) & who knows, press a particular button on the dashborad with skinned skeletons animations is so easy & quick to do, would be perfect.

So, the driver should be de-composed in as many animation sequences as we set in our animations.ini file for particular events ?!

@Alex Forbin

Damage is fully possible now with Racer, after some testing with skinned meshes it's almost perfect ! Special thx to Mitch for the help.

Particles are great & should be more interactive then ever ! Did you imagine real rain splashing the windshield with the help of some event triggered by Racer, once the simple rain plane particle touches it ?

My Racer visions are getting day to day crazier, as I can see no limit in it, what's scriptually not possible, we make it somehow graphically possible instead, or even better, we associate the power of both worlds to produce the most amazing stuff.

If I had 1 year for free with a crew, forget about it, the production would be better than anything else seen over the years, I would work with others creations, most of the time, bring life to static/dying 3D models foundable all over the Internet. Unleash the power of programs, possibilities & virtualize real tracks with the help of Google Earth/Nasa WorldWind etc...

Still, I was also thinking & hoping about a way of creating a game logic...a kind of Racer career ?!

What I'm concerned most about is some really truly decent content to work on and have to download.

There is plenty of very good stuff out there, but I mean stuff that will match GT5 for the most part! Just really well finished fully polished details on cars/tracks.

Also, the physics side needs a look over too once this stuff is out of the way. Kinematics are a big wishlist item for me, ie, defined suspensions like rFactor engine...

No bad thing that Racer has flown forward loads with lots of possibilities, I'm as enthusiastic as the next person, but I really want to just get my car/track(s) out that can really shine as static objects in themselves, before we add these nice features over the top of them :D

Dave

@Alex Forbin

Damage is fully possible now with Racer, after some testing with skinned meshes it's almost perfect ! Special thx to Mitch for the help.

Particles are great & should be more interactive then ever ! Did you imagine real rain splashing the windshield with the help of some event triggered by Racer, once the simple rain plane particle touches it ?

My Racer visions are getting day to day crazier, as I can see no limit in it, what's scriptually not possible, we make it somehow graphically possible instead, or even better, we associate the power of both worlds to produce the most amazing stuff.

Still, I was also thinking & hoping about a way of creating a game logic...a kind of Racer career ?!

Cool stuff QuadcoreMax, I've been asking for crash damage for literally YEARS any chance of seeing some code? It would be great to actually see this in action! :cool:

The career option would be a nice addition. Here's a few other ideas to keep you busy...

1. A working gas gauge is interesting but useless without a way to refill the tank.
2. Tire wear is not usually a processor intensive calculation.
3. Pit crews have been locked in the mens room for 10 years! Free them! :)
4. Engines are not 100% reliable, especially the way WE drive them. (clunk-clunk,tinkle)
5. My car has 1000000 miles on it but only shows 20. (persistent mileage locked to the car?)

Alex Forbin

There is plenty of very good stuff out there, but I mean stuff that will match GT5 for the most part! Just really well finished fully polished details on cars/tracks.

I'm thinking that this will come once 0.9 is finalized.

Also, the physics side needs a look over too once this stuff is out of the way. Kinematics are a big wishlist item for me, ie, defined suspensions like rFactor engine...

YES, the current system is too primitive for the polished look Racer now has.

No bad thing that Racer has flown forward loads with lots of possibilities, I'm as enthusiastic as the next person, but I really want to just get my car/track(s) out that can really shine as static objects in themselves, before we add these nice features over the top of them :D

Actually this fits your idea of parallel development quite nicely.
No?

Alex Forbin

1. A working gas gauge is interesting but useless without a way to refill the tank.
2. Tire wear is not usually a processor intensive calculation.
3. Pit crews have been locked in the mens room for 10 years! Free them! :)
4. Engines are not 100% reliable, especially the way WE drive them. (clunk-clunk,tinkle)
5. My car has 1000000 miles on it but only shows 20. (persistent mileage locked to the car?)

I'd like to be able to set the current fuel loading as well as the max fuel loading, and have this added to the car mass (at CofG for now, but add an offset value too)

Tyre wear, with scripting could be easy. Just set a variable based on current odometer reading and distance travelled since that variable was reset (tyres fitted), then scale the friction down (like rain or snow do for track surface, but for the car.ini version?!)
Iirc, rFactor uses a curve that it blends between, so a tyre will go off so far, but then stop at say 60% of original grip.

Sounds like stuff rFactor kinda does really. Stuff that in many ways should be coded into Racer... but properly :D

This is where us developing these things in a slower less efficient scripting way till we think they are right, and then Ruud simply dropping them in would make sense, rather than Ruud adding them very basically and never returning for years :( (no offence Ruud, but that can mean features are added but not really used because they are not useful enough yet :) )

All good stuff anyway :D

Dave

Here is the updated 0-100 acceleration script by gtpdzbiz with a 0-200 time as well. It didn't work with recent versions.
Put it in trackfolder/scripts/paint.

Attachments

• acctest.zip
    602 bytes · Views: 160

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back