The script thread?

Racer is now supporting RSX script which is a pretty nice little tool~expands the possibility of custom content creation.

So....I'll start with a simple script for testing 0-100km acceleration time.

Just put the files into yourtrackfolder/scripts/paint, press spacebar if you want to reset the timer.

Hope it helps~:)

Attachments

• acctest.rar
    1.1 KB · Views: 168
Hi !

Is there a chance to see one day similar scripting possibilities available for cars in Racer?

I'd love having some suspensions corrections for Citroën's :) or some event like directional lightning or dynamic aero stuff!

Yep, same here.

It'd be cool to define our extra car models such as spoilers etc, and have code move them up and down or angle them depending on braking amount or speed etc...

So many possibilities with scripting :D

Dave

Hi !

Is there a chance to see one day similar scripting possibilities available for cars in Racer?

I'd love having some suspensions corrections for Citroën's :) or some event like directional lightning or dynamic aero stuff!

I was thinking about that too, maybe supporting object animation per car? So we can do the rigging/animation in max and export them just like the skinned animation, then replay them via scripted events.

Yup, that woud be great for stuff like spoilers or dynamic lights, but useless for suspensions system, as this script would affect the physics, not the graphical representation, IMHO. Cause car's script I was thinking of could affect the physic engine… :confused: :D

Yup, that woud be great for stuff like spoilers or dynamic lights, but useless for suspensions system, as this script would affect the physics, not the graphical representation, IMHO. Cause car's script I was thinking of could affect the physic engine… :confused: :D

This shouldn't be a problem, the script should have different functions to handle graphics and physics if being implemented. It's up to the modder to decide which one to be used

Yup, sure!
I just don't know if those physics scripts could be done in Racer. I think I remember an old mail discussion with Ruud, tolding me that those kind of physics should be directly in the engine code. Maybe because physics being modificated by a script isn't the best manner to optimize code, I guess. :frown:

But if Mitch have another point of view, I'll be glad to read it too :wink:

gtpdzbiz:
Tried your script on carlswood and got the following, don't know why.

brake test.jpg

Everything is possible with scripts, eventually, but if Racer has to depend on them, it's gonna end up more eating frames than it's worth, since scripts are relatively slow.
So, a good solid hardcoded base, added with scripts for custom track and car behaviour.

I'm hoping to add the script-per-car functionalities so we can transform elements of the car (so rotate and offset models via script.. door opening?) and also add skeleton-skinning with animation (convertible roof opening?).
I don't know if altering car physics in a script is how we want it, i'll have to ask Ruud.

Well I was talking about a carlab-type thing (TOD curve editor but with spinners for ini values) that we can edit in real time.

All I really want/need for car scripting is maybe some stuff to do traction control or a mannettino thing.

Yep, for car scripting I'm mainly looking to add stuff for development/testing, and when they are mature enough, Ruud can implement them properly.

Ie, we have had ABS and TCS for years, but neither were particularly great. Kudos to Ruud to add them at all, but scripting means we can develop these things for longer and with more refinements, then Ruud can simply make a call on how best to implement them using the communities long-term developments around them.

Ie, ABS/TCS using slip ratios, or varying the f/r wheel speed ratios with actual speed, etc etc...

There is SOOOOOoooooo much potential to make soooo many areas of Racer so much better, but we just can't because we are limited to what Ruud allows us to do via his implementations of things. ABS and TCS haven't really been revisited since they were added 5 years ago, yet for 90% of the cars we have in Racer they are really important as to realism!

So I'm all for not using scripting, but if it gets the community developing and bug-fixing and determining the best process to do ABS or TCS or ESP, and then Ruud can just come along and integrate it properly and see what we want from it by what we have done, then all the better?! :D

Hmmm

Dave

I think, if injecting variables directly into the physics engine will cause instable and inaccuracy, then the script could control the user input to simulate driving controls...like setting up a middle layer between the driver and simulation, kinda advanced closed-loop control system, so the script takes in as much infor as it needed, but the output will only affect variables that are physically controllable, i.e. ESP system, which controls throttle and each wheel's brake(individually), but never touch the variables in the simulation core which can not be manipulated in real life(like tire simulation values; spring force...etc).

Well I was talking about a carlab-type thing (TOD curve editor but with spinners for ini values) that we can edit in real time.

Yes exactly what I was wanting, and as dave says it would only be for developing the cars. I don't propose replacing fast permanent code with slower scripting but like Dave says it would be
nice to be able to try out ideas (albeit slower) for later integration.

Alex Forbin

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back