The RTX Mystery - Almost A Year Later -

Mr Latte

Premium
This was August 2018
What the heck is happening and has anything officially been mentioned regards this being added in some way, shape or form. I really wanted to see how this technology looked in a racing based title, especially one flaunting superb graphics that offered 24Hr racing and changeable weather and race conditions.

Now I don't want to just come across as moaning without justification but It seems scandalous that some people would have bought into RTX cards on demos such as this. With ACC being confirmed as an RTX title for the release of the cards. I am sure most people would have had the assumption this was going to be available either at the launch of the title or shortly after.

So how many months Kunos do we wait, what's the official story, why so long and why so quiet on this feature?

RTX ON RTX OFF RTX GONE

Last edited:
This was August 2018
What the heck is happening and has anything officially been mentioned regards this being added in some way, shape or form. I really wanted to see how this technology looked in a racing based title, especially one flaunting superb graphics that offered 24Hr racing and changeable weather and race conditions.

Now I don't want to just come across as moaning without justification but It seems scandalous that some people would have bought into RTX cards on demos such as this. With ACC being confirmed as an RTX title for the release of the cards. I am sure most people would have had the assumption this was going to be available either at the launch of the title or shortly after.

So how many months Kunos do we wait, what's the official story, why so long and why so quiet on this feature?

RTX ON RTX OFF RTX GONE
One of the Devs mentioned that they are focusing on bug fixes and content currently, and when they have nothing left that's important to do and have staff free for it, they will look at RTX. However, with the small team they have, they need everyone working on the game bugs instead which are more important.

• Deleted member 955978

I don't want to just come across as moaning without justification but It seems scandalous that some people would have bought into RTX cards on demos such as this.
OMG
Really?:O_o:
1st gen tech supporters whining over little implementation of such new feature is pure gold!

It doesnt affect me, I didnt buy into the tech yet but Im sure others did based on this and other demonstrations. That still is not an excuse to use a title to demonstrate the cards RTX features when clearly it was never even close to having the feature properly implemented. Marketing hyperbole yes, but should we ignore or defend such action. Kunos dealt with this quite badly at least thats what it looks like.

It just comes across as a means to con people with marketing partnerships between card manufacturers and developers with rather high profile titles.

• Deleted member 955978

It doesnt affect me, I didnt buy into the tech yet but Im sure others did based on this and other demonstrations. That still is not an excuse to use a title to demonstrate the cards RTX features when clearly it was never even close to having the feature properly implemented. Marketing hyperbole yes, but should we ignore or defend such action.

Its just comes across as a means to con people with marketing partnerships between card manufacturers and developers.
To me acc taking part in RTX was just a demonstration. Nothing more.
I’m not disappointed in the slightest, as I knew Kunos was only a part time tester.
BTW, I for one don’t notice a game changer here...
Visuals are for casuals, not affecting sim racers!
;)

No it was listed as a supported title, it was not just a tech demonstration. Other companies have released their titles and with support. Kunos should have made it clear that the feature is either a long way off or has been dropped.

Who knows some (casual) players are maybe still thinking of buying an RTX card with this title one of the reasons to get one. I am sure lots of (serious) sim racers can also enjoy quality visuals or high end monitors/cards just as much as casual players.

• Deleted member 955978

with this title one of the reasons to get one.
Well, showing back to my 1st post...
If you have money to support 1st gen tech don’t come here whining about it’s lack of implementation!
Don’t get on anybody’s nerve!
Spend your money, but don’t insist, boy!

So asking why we havnt seen or heard anything about the development of RTX in ACC is whining is it? I better not ask then about the advertised 2019 Season, coming as a free update, for Summer 2019 with only approx a month to go before it too is not available/ready.

Id agree it seems ACC was not quite ready for full release given the state it is in and this approach just seems to be the way publishers now want to pressure studios into releasing titles with launch deadlines.

I dont think all those that bought an RTX card bought it just for Ray Tracing even if that was a nice addition to have in future titles. Perhaps issues with UE4 have delayed things but what have we heard or been told? Thats what I have the query with and think has been poorly managed by Kunos and those involved. The size of the company does not limit them to make a public announcement how/if/when the features are coming let alone what level it is intended to be incorporated. Additionally, UE4 was announced of supporting both low/high-level Ray Tracing since mid Feb of 2019. Yet in fairness, we could ask what UE4 title has yet surfaced showing the technology.

Here is an example of the confusion caused, read how this website not only has ACC as being released and supporting RTX but that it was one of the first titles to use the RTX cores.

As for your remark about 1st gen tech. Maybe VR users should not of bought into VR neither going by how you recommend people spend their money. How bad of them also to "insist" for the ability to use their purchased hardware in advertised/supported titles as expected.

:)

Last edited:
Big Respect to NVIDIA developers and engineers. Not so long ago we were speaking about frames per day at most. Frames per second was a sci-fi.
I believe some consumers don't deserve the products they have been given the chance to have.

It looks like you are looking for something to complain about. In my humble opinion of course :)

Realtime raytracing is something wonderful, but at the moment is too costly in terms of performance.

The performance factor is not the issue here, my own perspective is based on how the implementation has been shown, used as a method to promote the new hardware but since then nothing really has been shown to people or much even confirmed about it.

Is that a justified reason to query or question how it has been handled or to then just say ahhh that guys just moaning over nothing? I'm sure there are RTX owners on these forums that would love to see the feature not only made available soon for ACC but learn how well it has been implemented too. What it showcased was quite exciting and I guess we will have to wait quite a bit longer before it is (A) available and (B) maybe is less taxing on the GPUs resources. I don't think anyone is expecting miracles here in framerates and it fully implemented but at least having the option to see it working, would by now almost a year later since it was showcased be interesting to see in operation.

Kunos knew what still had to be done with their own title prior to release deadline before agreeing to partner with Nvidia on this and it bring additional workload/development.

I don't think its good practice to entice people to buy into hardware manufacturing partners products. To then help showcase benefits and exclusive features it will bring with your own software for a year later still have nothing to show and no announcements on its progress, features and expected availability.

Had I of been an RTX buyer, yes this title was one that excited me for RT based graphics so I can only expect some people are a bit annoyed or disappointed. I guess it looks like it will be sometime before we see a sim racing title with RT based graphics.

I don't think its good practice to entice people to buy into hardware manufacturing partners products. To then help showcase benefits and exclusive features it will bring with your own software for a year later still have nothing to show and no announcements on its progress, features and expected availability.

I think the real question is, would you rather see ray tracing or have all of the updates and bug fixes that we've been getting for ACC? I'm sure that it would either be one or the other. It's probably impossible to say accurately, but I'd guess that the majority of customers don't have RTX cards so wouldn't be concerned about the lack of ray tracing anyway. It would be interesting to find out how many people bought RTX cards specifically for ray tracing in ACC - it always struck me as something you'd only really notice in replays anyway.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 221 14.3%