The rise and possible fall of iRacing

Brief history on the Service:

iRacing started out in 2004 by John Henry and Dave Kaemmer. John is a co-owner of Roush-Fenway Racing for those who aren't aware, and so he was able to provide financial backing that has never really been seen before in sim racing. Combine that with the experience of Dave Kaemmer who has competed in the Skip Barber Championship in real life, and is the mastermind behind such sims as GT Legends, and you can expect top notch results. Finally an able developer has virtually all the time and money they need to create the ultimate sim experience. In a period from 2004-2008 iRacing consisted of lots of R&D and closed testing, some early members became part of the testing early on with most early testers joining in 2007 through connections in the sim world. In mid 2008 iRacing was open to the public but through invites only, then released fully to the public later on in the year.

The stage was set nicely, a huge amount of hype and community buzz had set iRacing above all other racing sims, before it was even released. Laser scanned tracks, cars being measured, weighed, and scanned for perfect accuracy. From a scientific point of view it was very hard for people to argue with what iRacing was doing, they were miles ahead of everyone else. They also have a 10 year plan, and a $20million investment from John Henry which they boasted through advertising and shameless plugs in the sim community. It was a good move by iRacing to let people know how serious they were early on, if they didn't there is no way they would get away with charging what they do for their service.

iRacing has a model that is unique to racing sims, but not unique to the gaming world. To use the service you must be a member, which requires you to purchase one of their monthly or annual membership packages. With the membership you get access to limited content, at first it was only a few cars on the Oval and Road side, with a handful of tracks. If you wanted some of the faster cars or more tracks, those would have to be purchased individually. People were so excited about the sim, they did not care much to argue with the plan, they did not mind that they owned none of the content, and were only purchasing access to them when their membership is in current status. If you stop paying to access their service, you lose all access to the content you have purchased. How do they control this? It is simple, the only way you can use the service is through an internet connection with a compatible browser. There is a large program installed on your PC, however you cannot access it unless you are logged in securely through their website. This helps them to keep control and monitor all things that happen in the sim.

This type of service is very controversial, but with the level of professionalism that iRacing was trying to achieve, this was the only way to go for them. By controlling things through an online browser, they prevent people from running modified versions of the game, which could include hacking the physics, or any other type of manipulation. That does not mean iRacing has been free from hackers though, there have been reports of cheats that have been used, patched, with the users who cheated banned, and no refund given. By controlling the sim in such a way, iRacing was able to display itself as a professional service, where people can compete fairly worldwide against their peers, 24 hours a day, with a full time staff of stewards and developers constantly monitoring and updating the service.

They ran ads showing professional drivers giving testimonies on how realistic the simulator is, which is nothing new, every simulator out has done this. However with iRacing, people are required to give their real first and last name, so users who are part of the service can literally search their favorite drivers name, and through a statistic screen, monitor the progress and lap times. This made iRacing unique because people can actually see professional drivers using the service. This helped give consumers confidence, not only were they confident that the company was on solid ground having John Henry as the financial backbone, but they also are able to purchase content in confidence knowing that professional drivers have sworn by the accuracy. From 2008-current the service has grown in overall members, but so has the sim. What started out as a few thousand people in 2008, has grown into the tens of thousands. Content has also been expanded, it was just a handful of cars and tracks starting out, but now iRacing boasts a car for everyone on both Oval and Road, with 24 hours 7 days a week series of official sessions.

The future of iRacing is still not very clear...how could this be though? With such a strong foundation, and having the largest active community in sim racing, how
could they ever fail?

Downfalls of the greatest sim available:

Even though iRacing has been the dominant name in sim racing since its release in 2008, it still has its downfalls. The sim does not provide a lot of the simple things that other sims have for years. Some of these things include tire build up, dynamic weather, and dynamic track surfaces. You are basically racing in a static environment all of the time, which is obvious to anyone that the real world of motorsports simply cannot be simulated accurately in a static environment.

Other downfalls are development times. In the beginning the members were very forgiving over long development times. Cars and Tracks were basically announced, then several months later eventually released, with some projects lasting over a year. As time has progressed and their team grows you would expect development time to go down, but it has not. Members are still finding themselves waiting almost a year for new content to be released.

Another downfall of iRacing is the content it provides, a lot of the cars are somewhat unpopular or outdated when compared to race cars in other sims. Instead of Ferrari, BMW, and other big names in racing, we see Pontiac, Kia, and what seems to be at random one car selected from several different series all over the place. So when you see something like Formula 1 advertised you will be sad to find out you only have two F1 cars available, and they are decades apart from each other. If you are a fan of Grand Am racing, the Daytona Prototype available is a Pontiac, and it is already half a decade old. This is the trend with iRacing, they tend to model only one car from a series, then by the next couple years it is already outdated, and then they tell people they have a virtual version of that series even though it is only that one car that is most likely not used in the series anymore.

Then there are the tracks, other than Nascar, you will be lucky to find more than a few real world tracks available where your favorite series actually races in real life. This, combined with the random car from a random year, can make you feel as if you are competing in some fantasy series, rather than simulating the real life series. Some are hopeful to one day get a complete series, but with iRacing's super slow pace in their development it seems near impossible for them ever to release a complete series will all the cars and tracks from the same year competition. Some tracks were scanned, and left to be forgotten with excuses given from the staff members that they simply do not have the manpower to complete, leaving a sour taste in the mouths of many members. On top of that, some projects end up getting delayed, like the coveted Lotus 49, it has been promised many times by the staff, but delayed every time.

This brings me to my biggest concern with iRacing, its quest for perfection comes at the expense of its members wallets and patience. For iRacing to prepare a release to the public they seem to have very high quality standards and must simulate things accurately through a formula. This sounds great, except they don't always get it right, and when you wait several months for something to be released, you expect it to be good to go when it is released. Several of the iRacing fans will just use the excuse that everything in the sim is a work in progress, and things will always be updated and changed. The problem with that, is it gives iRacing a fail pass, meaning they can release something that is a failure and get a pass from the community because it is a work in progress and will be updated. This is not just limited to iRacing, now that the internet is here to update games, developers across the board are releasing unfinished products and just updating things later on.

The problem with this whole situation, is it creates a circle of long development times, and a pass for mediocre content. Some will say they cannot have it both ways, they cannot offer an advertised realistic experience, yet make dramatic changes to the core of the simulation. Things like the tire model and physics have changed dramatically over time, and to this day the tire model still is not right. When individuals question the tire model they are met with some resistance from iRacing staff members who believe things are not as bad as they seem, but are also told there are yet again going to be more dramatic changes to fix bugs such as more grip with cold tires, but like everything at iRacing, even the tire model gets delayed over and over again.

Then you have cars that were driven by professionals before their release and have sworn testimonies of being accurate to the real life counterpart, that have since been changed dramatically, so now iRacing has to answer the question,are the cars inaccurate now? Or were their professional spokesman just spewing company lines to promote iRacing early on?

One will ask themselves why has iRacing not hired on more experts to help with the physics and tire models, or more professionals to help speed up development time of cars and help with the completion of tracks. Well, as unlimited as their resources may seem, they do not have an endless supply of money. If you think about how much it must cost to run a business like this year round, that $20million will get gobbled up fairly quick over the years, and the membership alone cannot support a super large staff. Even with a small staff they are paying several yearly salaries, sending employees all over the world to scan cars and tracks, not to mention other expenses like the cost of equipment and an office headquarters. They simply cannot afford to stay in business, and also have a super large staff.

There is a lot of controversy over the direction of iRacing, with its lack of features, and its ever changing view on how physics and tires work. One can only ask how long can this company keep all its members? Right now
iRacing has somewhat of a monopoly on sim racing. They are the only sim offering full time year round organized racing in a professional environment. Everything feels official with iRacing, and anyone can join with ease. This gives iRacing an edge over all other sims which depend on mods and communities to bring people together, which as we have seen before can be very messy, but also very rewarding if done right. Personally, I would love to see iRacing just "get things right", but at the moment with how they do things, it would take years before they ever start releasing complete series or getting cars that are up to date instead of outdated ones that are already retired from their current series.

Sooner or later, iRacing will lose its monopoly on this type of service, someone else is bound to come along and offer a similar service. If such a service comes along, and offers things that iRacing still has trouble with, like a correct tire model, or dynamic environments, then iRacing's future may be in trouble. They can only exist in such a state as long as there is no competition to steal their customers away. Eventually when another sim does come along that rivals iRacing, they better be ready to deliver on their promises, or face the reality of having to eventually close their doors after everyone but a few dedicated followers leave for the new kid on the block who offers something bigger and better.

DewCrew88 also mentioned this to me during the Texas race this year, and I think his summary of iRacing's physics are the best example of why the game is laughed at by non-members and former members:

>How is Dale Jr able to take his hands off the wheel in the tri-oval, and take a sip of water without violently wrecking? In iRacing, if you even BLINK coming through the tri-oval, your car will spin out. And how are they running the top groove so well? In iRacing, if you're not right along the white line, you're passed by the entire field coming out of two.

Pretty much this. There are some very wrong things with iRacing and the post build honey moon is now over and the natives are getting restless in the official forums.

iRacing Gen6 car at Texas does one of two things in the trioval: Starts spinning out, or starts spinning out and when you lift to correct it the right front tire feels like it goes flat and you push straight up to the wall.

Eric Hudec doesn't even know that the opposite of what he intended for the open sets in the Gen 6 car is the opposite of what happens:

"the facts are if you're running soft spring then you're coil binding one or both of the front springs. I can easily eliminate that and force more use of bumpstops and big springs. I had been testing that but not for some time. In actuality, the real teams are using big springs:"

Reply from a DWC Driver

"well that's just it though Eric.
We run really soft springs and ARE forced to use the bumpstops. If we don't use the bumpstops it will bottom out like crazy. If you mount in 2000lb springs then you don't need bump stops. "

This is where the whole problem lies and what I have mentioned in the past- The guys who do physics and the guys who test them don't know what we do with the cars to be competitive. Plain and simple.

Now, all of this is debated at length in the official forums and none of it matters to a first time user; it simply just needs to be fixed. But this is also why they can't change their pricing model, or create a demo which make the game easy to discard. They need the high price simply because they need to make their customers invest heavily in order to make the decision to leave harder. They are using the post-decision dissonance from buyer's remorse to psychologically lock their customers in..

Great post I dont know how I missed it.

Organized open series will always attract the wrong crowd that have no other goal then taking you our and ruin your race. Unless they come up with a sophisticated system as the safety rating like iRacing has.
That's what I'm saying. Unless someone builds their own licensing system (like iRacing, basically keeping the wreckers and trolls stuck in the entry series and letting only those smart enough to drive heads-up into the 'real' series, which Kunos has said is possible with the mod tools) then there will be no direct competitor in the online multiplayer space anytime soon. Nobody else has the will to do it. I'm sure you'll find solid leagues elsewhere, probably even better than in iRacing thanks to the mod tools, but anyone who wants more than leagues will still have iRacing as the best overall package no matter how much the physics/graphics/anything lags behind.

I joined iRacing in 2009, and was pretty active in it for the first couple of years but then stopped playing it. But I kept on renewing my annual membership whenever a deal was promoted. I have invested hundreds of dollars in the game in content, but over time iRacing turned into iPractice and I ultimately lost interest in the game and let my membership lapse without renewing in 2012.

iRacing does a few things very well. Their tracks are second to none in terms of accuracy and I liked the Safety Ratings as it kept wreckers off of the track. But in my opinion, from an amateur real world racer (I have had to give up on driving full sized cars as my local race track closed and have taken up racing real world Karts instead), iRacing cars are over the top in terms of their handling. Driving an iRacing car at the limit is like driving a car on ice with slicks. I thought to myself where is the fun in this. I drive on real world race tracks and driving at the limit in the real world is a heck of a lot easier than driving the iRacing cars at the limit. I lost interest, I let my membership lapse without posting any "goodbyes messages" on the iRacing forums and a really interesting thing has happened since then. I have not received any messages from iRacing offering me any deals to come back to the game. They certainly don't appear to need my business, so I must assume they are doing fine.

Once again I am neutral on iRacing. In some aspects, iRacing is a fantastic service and in other respects, it is something I don't think it is worth me paying $$$ for. But this is for sure, while they may have lost me as a subscriber, I wish them no ill will. I would like to see iRacing continue operating.

I let my membership lapse without renewing in 2012.

Turns out my subscription didn't lapse like I thought it did in 2012. I actually logged in to the service this weekend only to discover that I have until late October of this year to decide if I want to renew or not. So I dawned some slicks and headed off to the icy iRacing tracks to turn some laps.

I only stayed in private test sessions, but I did get some practice in familiarizing myself again in the Mazda MX-5 Cup car at Limerock, turned some laps in the Spec Racer Ford at Summit Point and also go a small amount of seat time in the Skip Barber at Watkins Glen. Even though I possess a B License in Road Racing, I feel like an iRookie all over again. It wasn't easy, but I did start to make some progress in the MX-5 but I am still 3-4 seconds off of the pace from what the aliens can do. One thing I didn't do, though it was rather tempting to do it, was add new content. There is a whole slew of new cars and tracks that have surfaced since I last played the game, But as a returning iRookie, I have plenty of content to use right now trying to get back to speed.

Yeah, even for myself where I spent a season off, then about half a season, then a dozen races last season, the latest tire updates have really changed things. I had to go through the wheel setup guide (don't remember if it's the hardware or technical support forum) to get a decent feel back to the wheel so the cars were predictable again. I think most of my problem is just pushing too hard. The cars are pretty stable, but I'm still finding myself overdriving most of the time, even though driving under the limit is faster and safer.

I'm working to rewire my brain right now, to be more conservative and not just straight into 'race mode'. Especially now that the tires are a bit twitchier until they come up to temperature and pressure. I'm thinking I'll drop back to the Mustang, or maybe even the SRF or something to just retrain myself to drive with the improved tires, I'm pretty sure I was abusing them before, I was just allowed to get away with it.

One thing I did last night was I turned off my lap times on my HUD and just tried to concentrate on driving clean laps. I still made some mistakes because iRacing really punishes you when you overdrive your cars. But progress was made in learning how to be smooth at Limerock in both the MX-5 as well as the Skip Barber and I had a fantastic practice stint at Watkins Glen in the Skip Barber where the car felt really good and my laps times (observed post session) were reasonably competitive. But I really struggled in the Skip Barber at Laguna Seca as I have tons of work to do maintaining my speed at the hairpin following the front straight and well I am slow as molasses at the Cork Screw. But nothing that 1000 laps can't help resolve.

For me, I feel like it's more that it's hard to tell when you first tiptoe over the limit and start to go slower. So if you're trying to go faster and pushing harder, you end up going slower until you eventually spin. When really what you needed to do was back off.

I'm not sure what it is, something in the feedback that doesn't communicate how far over the limit you are at first.

Really great post.

I think Iracing physics are terrible for road racing. I mean it took me forever to get a clean lap driving a Mazda Mx-5 from someone thats been driving pc and console games for years. The rest of it has potential...i mean as a former real world racer albeit on superbikes i love the focus on clean racing, something near impossible on consoles. The pricing is just not worth it though for someone wanting to do road racing.

Regarding the nicknames, well some racers are known for their nicknames ie Prost is The Professor, Rossi is The Doctor. I guess nick names are easier for some to remember. Some of the guys i raced with in the real world i call by their nicknames when i see them...its sometimes easier to remember a name like Master over a name like John William Richard Hamilton the 3rd or something lol.

But back to Iracing, like the actual race structure, dont have a problem with the cars as it makes it a more even playing field with less cars, but the cost...its just way to much i mean seriously $15 American for a track...really? $12 for a car??? Then there is the fee to actually be a member. I think if they dropped the member fee then it would be ok or keep the member fee and give you more free decent cars, maybe a choice of 3 cars you actually want to race but what you get for you money i dont think its worth it. GTR Evolution has way better physics...why everyone goes on about this i dont know, its good but its not the best!

Iracing also has terrible damage at present. I mean i rubbed doors with a guy, then i could no longer run straight. Touch the grass and you most likely run off ruining your car. They need to write more damage, that allows rubbing doors, walls and so on without ruining the cars tracking. Also in a real wheel car easing off the throttle mid corner results in understeer, not a oversteer spin! What they should do is actually drive some of these cars in real world for themselves and compare, im sure they could improve them 10 fold if they did!

Howdy, iRacing forum members.

This topic was not started by me although I have a feeling I know who the OP is. iRacing fanboys obviously cannot grasp the fact that more than one person dislikes their game.

I don't have a vendetta against iRacing, although my overall experience has certainly been more negative than positive. Charging high prices for content, failing to deliver WORKING essential updates in a timely manner, and letting inexperienced moderators rule without logic far outweighs the large userbase and ranking system they have built.

For some, the physics discrepancies don't matter a whole lot simply because there's so much competition to race against under one roof. Unfortunately, some of us use racing sims to make sure we don't end up under a truck in the real world. rFactor 2 and older gMotor2 sims have taught me a great deal about how to go fast without killing myself, to the point where I can swap between sim and reality without needing "adjustment time." I cannot do that with iRacing.

Sadly, this has divided the community as many people flock to iRacing for large grids, whereas superior sims have turned into ghost towns unless you go out of your way to sign up for a league.

Kinda wish I hadn't been so negative in my viewpoints in the iracing forums a year or so ago so I could still post over there....I think its funny that the general assumption is that there will not be a competitor to iracing anytime soon even though anybody with a web designer and money to rent a server farm could start up a much less expensive rival using Assetto Corsa within a few months from now.

Kinda wish I hadn't been so negative in my viewpoints in the iracing forums a year or so ago so I could still post over there....I think its funny that the general assumption is that there will not be a competitor to iracing anytime soon even though anybody with a web designer and money to rent a server farm could start up a much less expensive rival using Assetto Corsa within a few months from now.

But we don't even know if AC will draw iracing members' attention away from iR over to AC. In my opinion the features AC offers would have to be a significant leap over what iRacing provides especially in terms of online multiplayer.

People have proven and made their voice heard over the years, that the first thing they are looking for in a raicng sim is good, fun, competitive and *populated* multiplayer races. Without the same online structure and features of iracing, I can easily see Assetto Corsa becoming abandonware and a ghost town online within 2 to 3 months(something I'm sure Kunos doesn't want to see happen). No one wants to spend all day refreshing a lobby list looking for a fun clean and active pickup race.

I dont know, I have seen Pablo Lopez say he is probably done with iRacing's road side when AC comes out. As well as a few other higher up Pro/DWC level road talent.

Besides isn't radiator springs already working up some sort of working raking system and quick join system for AC kind of like they did for NKP?

Also iRacing forumers- It's not Chris D. who is the OP. That's me. Which I assumed plenty of people knew already in this community.

Not sure why people need to come up with all these theories about WHY iRacing will fail...

It's simple. There are fatal flaws in the physics engine.
- Cold tyres are faster than warm tyres
- Cars do not re-gain grip under braking.

As a result, the cars on iRacing require bizarre and unrealistic driving styles to run competitive times, which defeats the point of a simulator altogether. But because of the size and bias of the sim racing community, you are basically stuck playing iRacing if you want user-friendly, organized online racing.

This dilemma is magnified by fanboys who refuse to even acknowledge other racing sims exist, severely limiting the active userbase of other titles. rFactor vs. iRacing is NOT Battlefield vs. Call of Duty. There is NOT an entire separate rFactor userbase of 20,000 strong with over 1000 players ready to race and give you their best cover of "Free Bird" over voice chat at all hours.

These fanboys come in two different flavors. Homeschooled teenagers that truly believe all their internet friends will vanish if people stop playing iRacing, and middle aged men who aren't tech-savvy enough to comprehend that video games CAN and DO have flaws. Both groups will insult you the moment you question any aspects of iRacing's dated physics engine.

The few that DO venture out into the wild, try other racing sims, and report back to the iRacing forums with positive impressions, are also insulted. If you do this too many times, you get a permanent ban from the forums like myself. This is understandable for a place like WMD, where you're supposed to be actively contributing to the development of a game, but not on the "Off-Topic" section of a forum next to glorious threads such as "I Can Hear My Parents Having Sex" and "My Girlfriend Cheated On Me While I Was Living With Her."

Build 300 of rFactor 2 is nearly perfect, aside from the obvious FPS issues some users are having. Assetto Corsa has already gathered praise from real world drivers who have stopped by Kunos HQ to check it out. Both these dev teams are working with a fraction of the budget that iRacing has, and yet they were able to put together fantastic products even in the early stages of development. It makes you wonder what iRacing is actually doing with John Henry's bank account. Aside from a mere handful of new cars/tracks every month, the same old issues persist and even features from previous Papyrus titles running on the same exact engine still haven't been implemented.

But it's all okay because there isn't another game with iRacing's online format. People are more concerned about waving their meat rockets...er...iRating at each other than the actual on track experience.

Which is fine for the middle aged working class guy who doesn't "do" video games outside of iRacing, or the teenagers who get involved in teamspeak drama, but some of us actually use simulators to help us NOT get run over by a bus out in the real world. And iRacing is probably the worst racing sim on the market for that.

Just a shame that to actually race against anyone, it's your only choice.

The few that DO venture out into the wild, try other racing sims, and report back to the iRacing forums with positive impressions, are also insulted. If you do this too many times, you get a permanent ban from the forums like myself.
I think you've let your impressions of the fanboys color your memories of everything else. Sure, there are fanboys who might shout you down for liking something else, but there won't be an official iRacing retribution.

The AC thread is sitting at 245 pages,
pCARS thread is sitting at 104 pages,
numerous rF2 threads but no centralized one (biggest is about 22 pages),
none of these threads have been closed, and the comments there are mostly positive.

I'll tell you from personal experience, it isn't disagreeing with iRacing that will get you banned, it's being a dick about it.

And let's not forget who started the "I Can Hear My Parents Having Sex" thread...

And let's not forget who started the "I Can Hear My Parents Having Sex" thread...

That's the joke.

The AC thread is sitting at 245 pages,
pCARS thread is sitting at 104 pages,
numerous rF2 threads but no centralized one (biggest is about 22 pages),
none of these threads have been closed, and the comments there are mostly positive.

For every person that praises those sims, there are five others who say "installed it, did two laps, uninstalled it. iRacing is better because there's people to race with online."

For every person that praises those sims, there are five others who say "installed it, did two laps, uninstalled it. iRacing is better because there's people to race with online."

False. The hype with AC on the iRacing forum is insane, and almost everybody loved the tech demo. About the 2nd sentence is not false at all, isn't it? Compare the online traffic of rF2 servers on a normal day, with iR ones...

The talks about the "fall of iracing" makes me laugh, some of you guys don't realize that people doesn't care about physics at all, expect some group of purists. The "plug and play" system, the "click here and everything is downloaded and working", the organized/sanctioned series, the licenses system, the laser scanned tracks, number of online players.... it's what makes iRacing so popular. You can come home after a long day of work, and be racing in 5 minutes doing 2 clicks. Forget about the physics, forget about not having Ferraris and BMWs, forget about not having Nordschleife, forget about having to pay for everything, forget about delays.... That's pretty irrelevant, and that graph with the number of users says all. Always growing up.

And given the current incompetence of some teams like ISI, most likely those numbers will grown even more.

As a result, the cars on iRacing require bizarre and unrealistic driving styles to run competitive times, which defeats the point of a simulator altogether.

That's very funny too, I have seen telemetries of at least one DWC road race winner plus several top DWC drivers, and also FSR top drivers (rFactor) what do you understand by "bizarre and unrealistic driving styles to run competitive times"? There were some flaws in the old tire model (like having to steer into the slide to save the car, instead of countersteer), which are gone now, but the driving of the top guys is pretty much as in other sims.

Such comments are often used by the ones who are frustrated and are unable to run competitive times and have to blame something else instead of improving his driving...

This is a WR lap (from an older build), from someone who drives with H-shifter, clutch, heel&toe when downshifting... what do you see here as "bizarre and unrealistic driving style" ?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back