The real driving view, some evidence

Warren Dawes

Premium
As the debate is still raging about the driving view in RACE, I thought that since my wife drives a Honda Euro, I was in a position to take a comparison to the real thing, and that it might be worth sharing.
Even though I'm convinced that the passion in the driving view thread is less about realism and more about perceived competitive advantages, by both sides of the debate (why else would people be pushing so hard for the rules to be set), the following pictures make some comparisons to provide a bit more insight into the realism part of the debate.

Picture 1 is from our Honda, with the driving position where I sit, and the camera held against my eye.

hondarealdrivingviewtf4.jpg

Picture 2 is a screen shot from the Honda, with the driving position about the middle of available locations, but I tried to go back only far enough to see the mirrors properly. I adjusted the visual options in line with those recommended by others to maximise the frame rate (ie. turned off steering wheel etc)
hondacockpitviewlt9.jpg

Picture 3 is another screen shot using my preferred bonnet view, ie. with the camera as far back as possible.
hondabonnetviewpu0.jpg

I'll make no comments as everyone will interprtet things differently.
Just thought you might find this interesting.

PS: I couldn't take the real Honda to Oschersleben for direct comparison as my wife wouldn't let me (bit far from Oz).

yeah, the main point in finding the right position is to still be able to see the in-car rear view mirror.... Maybe i will try it with virtual one, it always reamins in the middle, and then i can move further forward the seat, to have a better outlook to the track... mmmmmm......

WOOFER,
That's why i reminded Warren to use it :p
The position he posted of RACE isn't even half as close to the steering wheel as the real life footage.

I have already explained why I chose the cockpit view I posted (in the first post, just above the screenprint). It was based purely on the recommendations of the cockpit view lobby from the "other " thread. Anyone is free to try other positions, but even fully forward is not realistic (although it is much closer with the Mini).

Neo,
it's surely not possible to simulate the cockpitview as in real life.
But one can surely find the best compromise to it ;)
Warren failed to do :D

Greetz

That's simply my point, you can't, and therefore a compromise is needed. I just want to be free to choose the one that I prefer, rather than have it forced on me by others telling me what is realistic.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%