The RD Podcast | Give Us Your Questions !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Our dear RaceDepartment community - we want to get you involved in the next RD Podcast so get your thinking hats on, it's question time!

The RaceDepartment Podcast crew thought it might be a good idea to throw out an opportunity for our incredible sim racing community to get involved in the upcoming episode of our Podcast series - by asking you to submit any topics you would like to hear @Paul Glover @Davide Nativo @Daniel Monteiro and @Paul Jeffrey discuss in our upcoming Season 2 Episode 7 show.

Do you have a burning sim racing question you want answered? Got a topic you would like the RD crew to argue about? Have you a nice debate worthy subject you think would make for a good conversation starter? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then get them down in the comments section below, and we will do our best to include them in the next episode.

Recording is planned for the week commencing Monday 14th September, so don't hang about with those ideas - we can't wait to see what you have in store for us to discuss!

To help you access the various locations of our RaceDepartment podcast series, you can check out the useful list below of just some of the places you can listen to and download all the available episodes.

Podcast Links:

Please do feel free to leave us a review on your podcast service of choice - help spread the word!

Loadsa love - the RaceDepartment Podcast Team.

2281.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a burning sim racing question you want answered? Got a topic you would like the RD crew to argue about? Have you a nice debate worthy subject you think would make for a good conversation starter?

Yes, why does the majority of non AC/ACC RD news thread turn into a shitfest?

Last edited:
  • What will sim racing look like in 5 and 10 years?
  • Where do you draw a line between sim and game?
  • What is the size of the user base for each sim?
  • What is the minimum hardware to run full max details on ACC using a triple 2K system?
  • Who are the top 3 non-pro sim racers in the world?
  • Why are american sim racers so much faster than all other sim racers. ha, ha.
  • What percent of sim racers are female?

Hey guys, been waiting for the next edition...

So, question time huh?

What would need to happen in your lives to be able to produce podcasts on a more regular basis? :sneaky:

Has Davide bought ACC yet? If not need a solid reason now as it's getting silly.

How many RD members are in the ASEAN region?
(Asking as there aren't any race clubs for people in S.E. Asia)

If you weren't sim racers, (i.e. there were no cars and no sims were created as there was no racing in the world), what do you think you guys would be doing, or playing, instead?

Are there any plans for a big RD endurance race to take place soon with prizes on either rF2 or ACC?

Where do you see, or where would you like to see, RD in the next 5 to 10 years?
I know we will all be a lot older but I would hope still racing through the arthritis and odd accident in the pants. How many members do you think there will be and can sim racing survive the inevitable switch to full electric to mimic real world series in the future, or will we all still be playing ACC and Classic content to keep the memories alive before sim racing dies out along with regular motorsport... morbid I know but sometimes you have to ask the tough questions...

Keep up the great work guys

Alright here's a question I've been arguing with friends about for a while. Would you rather fight an adult gorilla with no arms or legs, or 3 badgers? Note, you have to fight, you can't run away.

1. What can manufacturers do to produce and sell DD wheels under U$ 400
2. What kind of sim racers using U$500 rigs, donated to YTber personalities racing with U$3000 or more worth of sim equipment? :p

Last edited:
Let's imagine that Codemasters has everything they need to create a NASCAR title to go alongside their F1 series without sacrificing the quality of either game.... What would - in your opinions - CM have to bring to the table to not only produce a game that NASCAR fans would choose over 704 Games' Heat series, but also attract sim racers who might not have an interest in NASCAR in real life? For example, I personally feel as though a dynamic rival/ally system (or if you prefer: fluid, real-time, and similar synonyms) would have to be in place, similar to one one used in the EA titles in the mid-2000s.

Last edited:
Will the historic content appeal completely vanish from simracing in future ?

Is simracing hardware overrated, and software underrated ?

Is there anybody who understands tires ? And how meaningful it is in simracing ?

Does people overlook physics when talking about FFB ?

What is best aero for fun ? a: massive downforce; b: neutral downforce/lift; c: massive lift.

Difficult doesn't mean realistic ? What does difficult mean ?

Last edited:
Will the historic content appeal completely vanish from simracing in future ?
I would like to add something to this:
-What is Your overall take on historical content for racing sims(both quality and quantity)?
-We all have content from 70's and 60's but what about some official content form the most underrated and my personal favourite era: pre war and 50's? Silver Arrows? 250Fs? AVUS? Brooklands? We do have some of that but it is mostly community made and also limited to AC and rFactor (the original one).
-Well what about rally/rallycross content in sims like AMS2 or rF2? Would that be okay or it just does not fit? Also a lot of historical content here up for grabs.

• What will sim racing look like in 5 and 10 years?
This one I can answer.
If we depend on current devs: permanent ghosting because words hurt. Pit crews? If they add it'll still be shown as a huge deal. Animated repairs? We won't even have damage because e"sports" turn them down so why bother? AIs will be still crap, physics will still be about messing numbers in a text file. But hey! Graphics will be top notch

-We all have content from 70's and 60's but what about some official content form the most underrated and my personal favourite era: pre war and 50's? Silver Arrows? 250Fs? AVUS? Brooklands? We do have some of that but it is mostly community made and also limited to AC and rFactor (the original one).
-Well what about rally/rallycross content in sims like AMS2 or rF2? Would that be okay or it just does not fit? Also a lot of historical content here up for grabs.

I'd like to share my thoughts on that. Thats what I am afraid of, in 10 years content of 60s might be equally popular as content from 50s is. Which is not popular at all. In 20 years content from 60s might be looked at as ancient as pre war cars are being looked at now, which are extremely under radar for most, even the craziest ones. Cars starting from 70s up till 90s will probably last slight longer because downforce and tire developments of that time makes them more familiar to modern likes. Cars from 2000 till now will all probably have only 5-8 years of appeal since their appearances IRL.

There are still many people who would like to blast around with GT40MK1 or 911s, or some sports cars from 90s. Sports cars from 2000s seems to have shorter lasting interest. It can be nicely observed in newest content flow of GT3 cars for example. They hold most interest, but when they will get older, will stop being used IRL at a given present time, they will be forgotten within a few years. And some 60 years old cars will be more popular than some 5 years old cars, that were a lot more popular when they were fresh. All that is because consumerism, advertising and the way real life is, simracing is just repeating real life... they way it is... at the presnet...

As a side effect average simracer will become increasingly less mechanically sympathetic, and will have increasingly less clue about what is/should be happening with a car. As modern cars are becoming so advanced they get further from basics and more "alien", they just skip all the "true school" and just gives plain speed. Just be fast enough to react, and you'll fit right in.

As EV road car manufacturers continue to innovate and global motorsport slowly evolves to embrace it with official series, what are some new approaches simulators can take to build up EV racing experiences?

I feel it needs some rethinking and expanding mindsets to truly get the best out of EV racing simulations. So there is an opportunity for those who want to advance and invent.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Since you talk to the Developers allot, What are their feelings and directions on adding VR to the newer games? And how do they decide which ones will get VR and which ones dont?

One main Developer is Codemasters, they seem to be taking over allot of the main racing titles and some they didnt add VR would be nice if it was included.

I know you have seen in all the Race Dept news and elseware the "No VR, No Buy" quotes from various people.

thank you,
Dave

Last edited:
I'd like to share my thoughts on that. Thats what I am afraid of, in 10 years content of 60s might be equally popular as content from 50s is. Which is not popular at all. In 20 years content from 60s might be looked at as ancient as pre war cars are being looked at now, which are extremely under radar for most, even the craziest ones. Cars starting from 70s up till 90s will probably last slight longer because downforce and tire developments of that time makes them more familiar to modern likes. Cars from 2000 till now will all probably have only 5-8 years of appeal since their appearances IRL.

There are still many people who would like to blast around with GT40MK1 or 911s, or some sports cars from 90s. Sports cars from 2000s seems to have shorter lasting interest. It can be nicely observed in newest content flow of GT3 cars for example. They hold most interest, but when they will get older, will stop being used IRL at a given present time, they will be forgotten within a few years. And some 60 years old cars will be more popular than some 5 years old cars, that were a lot more popular when they were fresh. All that is because consumerism, advertising and the way real life is, simracing is just repeating real life... they way it is... at the presnet...

As a side effect average simracer will become increasingly less mechanically sympathetic, and will have increasingly less clue about what is/should be happening with a car. As modern cars are becoming so advanced they get further from basics and more "alien", they just skip all the "true school" and just gives plain speed. Just be fast enough to react, and you'll fit right in.
What you just did is spitting facts and probably predicting future which makes me quite sad. One day most people will not even know how their beloved motorsports even started, or even worse, there will be no info left on that.

- How long is the perfect life time of a sim?
- When will motion sims be mainstream as much as FFB wheels are today?
- What is the most durable/ reliable sim racing hardware brand?
- What idea do you have that is totally missing from sim racing?
- Does mixing tutorials and revirewing from one side with marketing from the other side create ethical credibility issues?
- Why isn't there focus on driving/ cruising sims today as much as before?
- Gamers say "DLC" is the desease of gaming, is it also the desease of sim racing?
- Should I as an old man (and other people in my age) retire and give some room to younger players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%