The RaceDepartment Podcast (S1,E6)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Podcast Out Now Ep6 1024.png

The latest episode of the RaceDepartment Podcast is now ready to download!

The latest episode of the still relatively new RaceDepartment Podcast is available for your listening pleasure! Continuing the trend of missing a different member every week, sadly for this episode it is an all English affair, with Paul Glover, Joseph Wright and Paul Jeffrey taking to the airwaves while our Italian Stallion, Mr. Davide Nativo takes a break to do whatever people do when not glued to their laptop and logged into RD.

For this episode we have plenty to discuss, covering such varied topics as the new FIA European Truck Racing game recently announced, continuing our debate about if hardware in sim racing can make you faster, speaking about the latest F1 2019 news and plenty more in between.

So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself over to your podcast streaming service of choice, download, listen, subscribe and help us spread the word amongst the podcast listening racing community!

To help you access the various locations of this latest podcast, you can check out the useful list below of just some of the places you can listen to and download the new episode. Of course, if you missed the RD Podcast excitement last time out, you can still catch up with all out broadcasts too…

Podcast Links:

Do you have any special requests for future episodes? Do you want to share your thoughts, comments and feedback on what direction the show could take going forward? Please do let us know in the comments section, and at the RD Podcast sub forum location.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I've listened to this and here also no reference to the free to enter VW ID.R EV Nordschleife challenge on RaceRoom here either.

One can only assume it's a matter of pay us VW Group and we'll promote it or? Which in a way is sort of odd since ACC (where RD is officially handling eSports elements) includes multiple VW Group brands (Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley). SRO is no doubt managing your partnership but still.

I'm a fan of RaceRoom and the work the guys at Sector 3 Studios have been doing as I assume is everyone at RaceDepartment. Indeed it appears RaceRoom offered preview access to recently released content which allowed Paul to create the videos below

Regardless of the reasons as to why the topic has not been featured, as a news item here surely you owe it to your readers and the sim racing community in general to highlight interesting things happening in the world of sim racing?

Recent posts on RaceDepartment featured updates and patches to various titles and even a mobile title. But nothing on the RaceRoom VW ID.R challenge? I won't go into the details as to why it's relevant since basically multiple people have covered it.

An official response from Paul and Bram on this matter please as to be completely honest it feels rather odd...

Last edited:
You drank a bit too much conspiracy mate, lol

I wasn't even in this podcast, but here is your needed response, again.

You drank a bit too much conspiracy mate, lol

I wasn't even in this podcast, but here is your needed response, again.
Who said anything about a conspiracy? This podcast went through some on the happenings since the previous episode before moving on to the main topic did it not? And this site reports all things happening in sim racing does it not?

VW announced their plans to bring the ID.R electric prototype to the Nordschleife in an attempt to beat the previous electric vehicle record of 06:45 set by NIO and RaceRoom added the car to their sim allowing people to set a time for free. Romain Dumas who will drive the real car was pictured in the sim version at the Nūrburgring ring. Jimmy Broadbent did a video on it when it went live and later Georg Ortner, Gamer Muscle, Shaun Cole amongst others. There have been something like 2,000 player times added to the leaderboard in RaceRoom with the top guys posting sun 6 minute times. When they run the real attempt the car will have F1 style DRS for a max speed of ~270 km/h where as the version in RaceRoom has a max of 250 km/h since they need to add the DRS later as it was added later as the development of the car for the Nordschleife has happened so quickly.

RD has been everything ACC of late, understandably so and a wave of Blancpain GT series at Paul Ricard is no doubt imminent. All interesting stuff as is the above but you haven't featured it have you? And as a regular reader of this site I was quite surprised when visiting the site again and again only to see it not mentioned. Would it not have made for an interesting article and comments section or have I missed something?

As I said before there have been posts in your homepage on updates and patches for random titles and even a mobile game. But nothing about the VW ID.R on RaceRoom on PC which is completely free to try and a fascinating story in terms of the real life tech being mirrored on a sim...

Who said anything about a conspiracy? This podcast went through some on the happenings since the previous episode before moving on to the main topic did it not? And this site reports all things happening in sim racing does it not?

VW announced their plans to bring the ID.R electric prototype to the Nordschleife in an attempt to beat the previous electric vehicle record of 06:45 set by NIO and RaceRoom added the car to their sim allowing people to set a time for free. Romain Dumas who will drive the real car was pictured in the sim version at the Nūrburgring ring. Jimmy Broadbent did a video on it when it went live and later Georg Ortner, Gamer Muscle, Shaun Cole amongst others. There have been something like 2,000 player times added to the leaderboard in RaceRoom with the top guys posting sun 6 minute times. When they run the real attempt the car will have F1 style DRS for a max speed of ~270 km/h where as the version in RaceRoom has a max of 250 km/h since they need to add the DRS later as it was added later as the development of the car for the Nordschleife has happened so quickly.

RD has been everything ACC of late, understandably so and a wave of Blancpain GT series at Paul Ricard is no doubt imminent. All interesting stuff as is the above but you haven't featured it have you? And as a regular reader of this site I was quite surprised when visiting the site again and again only to see it not mentioned. Would it not have made for an interesting article and comments section or have I missed something?

As I said before there have been posts in your homepage on updates and patches for random titles and even a mobile game. But nothing about the VW ID.R on RaceRoom on PC which is completely free to try and a fascinating story in terms of the real life tech being mirrored on a sim...

I choose the news items and main topic with guidance from the other guys on the podcast, we just didn't include it. But you could also argue that it's got quite enough promotion from other Youtuber's etc, but I get your point about the real life cross-over so would have made good a talking point.

In this week's podcast we mentioned KartKraft, Truck Game and F2 in F1 2019, I could go across the internet and say to someone else why no mention of the KartKraft update? We can all critique people, is the podcast that bad?

I love the fact we promoted KartKraft and the Truck Racing Game, all good things in my opinion. Do you not agree?

Now I can't answer why there has been no front page article on it, maybe there wasn't a press release? We do encourage our community to write articles, feel free to write one and I'm sure we would make it front page news.

There is a discussion here

I choose the news items and main topic with guidance from the other guys on the podcast, we just didn't include it. But you could also argue that it's got quite enough promotion from other Youtuber's etc, but I get your point about the real life cross-over so would have made good a talking point.

In this week's podcast we mentioned KartKraft, Truck Game and F2 in F1 2019, I could go across the internet and say to someone else why no mention of the KartKraft update? We can all critique people, is the podcast that bad?

I love the fact we promoted KartKraft and the Truck Racing Game, all good things in my opinion. Do you not agree?

Now I can't answer why there has been no front page article on it, maybe there wasn't a press release? We do encourage our community to write articles, feel free to write one and I'm sure we would make it front page news.

There is a discussion here
Hi Paul, first of all there is of course no issue with KartKraft and BigBen/Kylotonn's truck racing game etc being mentioned during the podcast. All relevant stuff and since they were featured on the homepage of course relevant to the podcast, absolutely no issue there.

Of course the RaceRoom VW ID.R challenge has continued regardless and has done well like you say. As a regular reader I expected to see it published on the homepage, then maybe join in the discussion and perhaps also hear it discussed during the podcast. Time permitting of course and perhaps RD's attendance at the 2018 sim expo (at the Nūrburgring) would have made it also interesting

Side note: isn't Kart Pro you mentioned in the podcast the basis of the karting DLC added to rF2? You spoke about the various sim karting solutions and I don't think the rF2 DLC was mentioned.

Also I learned that Paul J "doesn't kakk money" in relation to the price of a full motion rig. I'm not sure what exactly that means, perhaps part of a northerner's vernacular, but I can guess :whistling: And to be honest I would much rather have listened to a discussion on the VW ID.R than have to struggle through the persistent, and dare I say one-sided slagging match that was the the banter between you Paul and poor Joseph who couldn't remember what he'd added to his cart... :D:roflmao:;)

As a regular reader I expected to see it published on the homepage
As you are a regular reader please link us to 3 frontpage articles about RRE esports competitions we wrote about in the past? There aren't any as we don't cover external series (yet). The only (limited) esport news we write about are our own series. Which makes total sense as we have 100% editorial freedom to write about what we want to write about. Esports vs other news is less than 5% vs 95%

As you mentioned the SRO E-Sport series, we are involved in that project as (unpaid) media partners and besides media we provide substantial knowledge to running the series as this is their first attempt at esports. If RaceRoom and Volkswagen want the same kind of style of reporting and involvement they can reach out to us and discuss it. I am sure Paul, Chris and Steve are happy to visit Nordschleife and make a great reportage about it.

As you are a regular reader please link us to 3 frontpage articles about RRE esports competitions we wrote about in the past? There aren't any as we don't cover external series (yet). The only (limited) esport news we write about are our own series. Which makes total sense as we have 100% editorial freedom to write about what we want to write about. Esports vs other news is less than 5% vs 95%

As you mentioned the SRO E-Sport series, we are involved in that project as (unpaid) media partners and besides media we provide substantial knowledge to running the series as this is their first attempt at esports. If RaceRoom and Volkswagen want the same kind of style of reporting and involvement they can reach out to us and discuss it. I am sure Paul, Chris and Steve are happy to visit Nordschleife and make a great reportage about it.
Indeed RaceRoom host regular esports compeitions such as ADAC GT Masters etc as part of their annual scheduled activities. And I would not expect RD to report on all of these. In fact I didnt consider the VW ID.R competition to be part of these regular scheduled events as it's based on a one-time event, the details of which I've already outlined above and its open to everyone.

We'll go back to topic here which is the podcast. If you wish to post a lengthy text article please do, if it fits the standard we can post it on the frontpage also.

We are not going to debate it on twitter and here anymore at least as this thread is about the podcast episode 6.

Just like to say, listened to this episode on a beach in the Maldives while on holiday... thoroughly enjoyed it as ever. Good work lads!
I had a few runs on the VW ID.R challenge recently, I enjoyed it, but I didn’t set the world alight, I’m also not bothered that it wasn’t covered. I will however pick up Kart Kraft when I get back home as it sounds like good fun, and a genre which I’ve not tackled on my PC yet. Should look alright with the 1080ti I just picked up for a steal too :cool:

I also have a genuine sim racing newb question which is; can you mix and match steering, pedal and gear sets? For example. I have a Logitech G27 setup with the wheel, shifter and pedals. I was thinking about buying some of those stiffer spring sets for my pedal box but could i buy, say a thrustmaster pedal set and use in conjunction with my G27 wheel and shifter? Or am I better off with a whole setup from one manufacturer?

Anyway back to my holiday :D:thumbsup:

Keep up the great work guys!!!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%