The RaceDepartment Podcast (S1, E4)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Podcast Out Now.png

Episode 4 of the new RaceDepartment Podcast is available for your listening pleasure.

Complete with the welcome return of Mr. Joseph Wright, the fourth instalment of the RaceDepartment Podcast is available to download and listen now. In this episode the team talk about the new Netflix F1 documentary, the most recent IndyCar race, discuss how we like to practice for sim racing, the upcoming SRO E-Sport GT Series and a whole bunch besides.

If you like to listen to blokes talk about real and virtual motorsport, with the odd mildly immature joke and plenty of cool Italian charm, Davide style - then this is the Podcast for you!

So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself over to your podcast streaming service of choice, download, listen, subscribe and help us spread the word amongst the podcast listening racing community!

To help you access the various locations of this latest podcast, you can check out the useful list below of just some of the places you can listen to and download the new episode. Of course, if you missed the RD Podcast excitement last time out, you can still catch up with all out broadcasts too…

Podcast Links:
Do you have any special requests for future episodes? Do you want to share your thoughts, comments and feedback on what direction the show could take going forward? Please do let us know in the comments section, and at the RD Podcast sub forum location.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
View attachment 299519
Episode 4 of the new RaceDepartment Podcast is available for your listening pleasure.

Complete with the welcome return of Mr. Joseph Wright, the fourth instalment of the RaceDepartment Podcast is available to download and listen now. In this episode the team talk about the new Netflix F1 documentary, the most recent IndyCar race, discuss how we like to practice for sim racing, the upcoming SRO E-Sport GT Series and a whole bunch besides.

If you like to listen to blokes talk about real and virtual motorsport, with the odd mildly immature joke and plenty of cool Italian charm, Davide style - then this is the Podcast for you!

So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself over to your podcast streaming service of choice, download, listen, subscribe and help us spread the word amongst the podcast listening racing community!

To help you access the various locations of this latest podcast, you can check out the useful list below of just some of the places you can listen to and download the new episode. Of course, if you missed the RD Podcast excitement last time out, you can still catch up with all out broadcasts too…

Podcast Links:
Do you have any special requests for future episodes? Do you want to share your thoughts, comments and feedback on what direction the show could take going forward? Please do let us know in the comments section, and at the RD Podcast sub forum location.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

So, at the end you guys hit upon something interesting. Which track is revered but is past it with today's cars? I'll start you off with Monaco and the Nordschleife. Great in their heyday but just not racing tracks today.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mark Ratzenbacher Hows the audio this week?

*exclude mic quality, that will improve over time.

I´m just 20 minutes in and already it sounds lot, lot better. :thumbsup: Paul Jeffreys voice improved, no more jitter, hisses or modulation, he sounds like on his videos and streams.(he should spend some money on a mic at some time though) ;)
Mr. Wright is a tiny bit distorted, but i can bear easily.

Cool thing ! :cool:
Would you reveal what did the trick for you ? Did you use Zencastr ? Or tried a different bitrate for the uploaded audio ?

Awesome! Glad you liked the improved audio! It has and will continue to take a while to get the polish we want from the finished product, but so long as it keeps improving then we are a happy bunch!

(he should spend some money on a mic at some time though)

Yeah, that has to be on the list for sure.. just dropped for a wireless handheld for the upcoming E-Sport series and a few other "out of office" type adventures we've got planned, so once the bank balance refreshes then a new headset / mic combo sounds like the next on the list :)
Did you use Zencastr

Right first time! Points to you sir :)

Really nice bit of software actually, although we are all new to using it so will take some time to remember to unmute the mic when we want to speak :roflmao:

All good stuff !

Really enjoying this series guys. Keep up the great work. As someone who’s been muddling about in Sims for a while this is encouraging me to get a bit more competitive and do some online racing. Just signed up to iRacing so looking forward to getting more immersed than ever!

Really enjoying this series guys. Keep up the great work. As someone who’s been muddling about in Sims for a while this is encouraging me to get a bit more competitive and do some online racing. Just signed up to iRacing so looking forward to getting more immersed than ever!

Thanks Alex, I recommend getting involved in our club races too by becoming a premium member. Get good tips form other members and you might even get the chance to race against me.

What isn't there to love!

Listened to this yesterday, another good show, thank you!

My 2cents on practice: My habit is to put in 20 laps on unknown tracks or tracks I haven't raced in a while before I go racing (mostly iRacing). I find I reach most of my peak times and peak reliability in about 20 laps. By the end of that practice stint, I'm at least top-half fast and running lap after lap without incident. So that's about 20-40 minutes of practice in my experience.

Practice is a funny one for me. For example, I’ve spent a very long time on Assetto Corsa recently, hauling the 911 RSR around Sebring... (I even put a video on YouTube for a bit of fun). After about a week of doing this I would have said to myself that I know the circuit. However, after hopping into iRacing, other than knowing the general left and rightness of the circuit, it’s like having to learn it all over again because the feel is different. So I guess what I’m trying to extract from my own waffle is what was mentioned in the podcast; knowing the circuit is only part of the battle, it’s how to get the most out of every corner and that can vary from sim to sim and game to game.

I suppose in summary, just hammering around doing hotlaps can sometimes be counter productive depending on where you’re going to be doing your racing. I guess most competitive racers would do all their practice within the same sim and not switch about like I do.

This post is largely useless :roflmao: my apologies.

After about a week of doing this I would have said to myself that I know the circuit. However, after hopping into iRacing, other than knowing the general left and rightness of the circuit, it’s like having to learn it all over again because the feel is different.
Really good point, maybe a topic for a podcast segment. The way cars drive, the way ffb feels, the way track pavement is designed, the slight variations in distances/corner radii/etc, even the different eras of tracks (from year to year) can really throw you off when going from sim-to-sim.

I find I can *always* hop in rF2/AMS and I'm very, very quickly comfortable with the car and ffb but switching to iRacing, and even switching cars in iRacing, takes me a little bit longer to acclimatize to the ffb. Some of those cars feel so slippery until you really have put in a dozen laps and gotten used to the intepreted grip levels.

Another great podcast guys!
The discussion on circuits was great, and really resonated with me.
Trying to think of a track that I really believe I would be able to race people hard on made me start thinking, and I realised that i have many tracks that i love and only a handful of them do I truly know.
I would say that pretty much all the Asian tracks in Raceroom due to having competed in eSports here in Malaysia. Not only was I training for 2 weeks on a single car and track but the racing taught me a lot at the actual events too.
Outside of that, Monza, Silverstone, Brands, Spa etc.
All those years of Touring Cars and DTM etc.
You start to realise how many tracks you know intimately. It's quite a lot...
Practice is something I really enjoy. Perfecting a lap is extremely tough. And even when you think you've nailed it, you go faster still another day.
Knowing the fastest lap times helps me with this sometimes. Knowing how much time is out there pushes me to try and find it. Especially when you find out that there are barely any changes to set up for some of these drivers...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%