The RaceDepartment Podcast (S1, E2)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rd Podcast3.jpg

The second episode of our new RaceDepartment Podcast is live across all your favourite podcast destinations.

This week Paul Glover, Joseph Wright, Davide Nativo and Paul Jeffrey bring you news, opinion and chat about a host of different real and virtual racing subjects. From our thoughts on the new Formula One season to the latest Assetto Corsa Competizione build release, with a sprinkling of hardware discussion and the rise and fall of arcade racing games, episode two has (we hope) a little bit of something for everyone to enjoy!

So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself over to your podcast streaming service of choice, download, listen and subscribe and help us spread the word amongst the podcast listening racing community!

Oh, if you are curious to know what we talked about before tuning in, you might want to check out this (very rough!) guide we tried (and failed) so very hard to follow during the recording...
  • rFactor 2, the Reiza DLC, future of both Reiza and Studio 397.
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione Release 6 & delays
  • F1 Pre-season testing
  • Arcade Games
  • Sim Racing Hardware
Like I say, that's one heck of a basic schedule, so expect plenty more besides.. :)

To help you access the various locations of this latest podcast, you can check out the useful list below of just some of the places you can listen to and download the new episode. Of course, if you missed out on the RD Podcast excitement last time out, you can still catch up with our first edition too...

Podcast Links:
Do you have any special requests for future episodes? Do you want to share your thoughts, comments and feedback on what direction the show could take going forward? Please do let us know in the comments section, and at the RD Podcast sub forum location.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I am not very familiar with RF2 or AMS given the collaboration it seems like they should merge. The sim racing world is already extremely fragmented currently, which makes building a community a challenge.

Still listening to the podcast. Loving the discussion about arcade racers and how it's s stepping stone to SIM racing and even a gateway to becoming a motorsport fan.
I too have similar memories of Forza and. Project Gotham Racing etc. Gran Turismo with a wheel. Then a budget gaming rig etc. Great conversation guys.
Also totally agree with the comments on current F1 too.

About vr section and jump to vr, id recommend waiting for rumored RiftS (should be unveiled soon)- upgraded Rift, but with inside out tracking so you can say goodbye to external sensors \o/, should also be cheaper.

@Joseph Wright may i ask where you see thousands upon thousands and thousands content/items in rf2 steam workshop? steam only shows me 399 :p:p:p

Carmageddon, the best arcade "racer" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Really enjoyed this 2nd podcast, great discussion about arcade games brought back a lot of good memories Micro Machines was an absolute blast in its day. Loved the discussion about sim hardware.
Keep them coming guys

About vr section and jump to vr, id recommend waiting for rumored RiftS (should be unveiled soon)- upgraded Rift, but with inside out tracking so you can say goodbye to external sensors \o/, should also be cheaper.

@Joseph Wright may i ask where you see thousands upon thousands and thousands content/items in rf2 steam workshop? steam only shows me 399 :p:p:p

Carmageddon, the best arcade "racer" :rolleyes:

Yeah the rift is about 3 years old and there are signs that the new one is on its way, just nothing yet official. Thing is it’s like all tech, things eventually get replaced.

Enjoyed the latest podcast. Audio levels were better this time, except when people were talking excitedly :) Remember to respect your moderator he keeps things moving along at the pace your listeners want you to move along. It's a tough job with no thanks but somebody's got to keep things moving! Try to be concise and considerate of the speaking time of others, too. Many things go into making an enjoyable podcast, good luck with future episodes!

Finished the podcast and to be honest I felt it was a little short... ;):roflmao:
Basically what I'm trying to say is that I was enjoying it so much that I think it came to an end too quickly.
Love the stuff about sim hardware and the different views on what you need to enjoy this hobby. I think plenty of people have humble beginnings when starting out on new hobbies that start to grow with funds usually being the blocker.
Really liked the chat about arcade games and older titles too. Maybe even discussing different games that people play would be a good segment to have on the podcast too?

Enjoyed the latest podcast. Audio levels were better this time, except when people were talking excitedly :)

I listened to it back, did they get too loud for you? Or was that a joke? Wasn't an issue for me so trying to understand.

Remember to respect your moderator he keeps things moving along at the pace your listeners want you to move along. It's a tough job with no thanks but somebody's got to keep things moving! Try to be concise and considerate of the speaking time of others, too.

Haha, yes trying to get these three hooligans in check is no easy task.

Many things go into making an enjoyable podcast, good luck with future episodes!

Thanks, if you have any content suggestions we are all ears.

Finished the podcast and to be honest I felt it was a little short... ;):roflmao:
Basically what I'm trying to say is that I was enjoying it so much that I think it came to an end too quickly.
Love the stuff about sim hardware and the different views on what you need to enjoy this hobby. I think plenty of people have humble beginnings when starting out on new hobbies that start to grow with funds usually being the blocker.

The length is a hard one and at the time of recording did feel we could have gone on, we can always revisit topics in another episode. As a podcast fan myself, I think we should do 1hr 30mins max. Trying to keep it under an hour was impossible.

Really liked the chat about arcade games and older titles too.

I love that too. Again, would love to revisit it. So many games didn't get a mention!!

Maybe even discussing different games that people play would be a good segment to have on the podcast too?

Can you explain that idea a bit more?

Can you explain that idea a bit more?
Like there is a forum on RD for what people are playing when not SIM racing. Other notable titles, new releases etc. Thought it could be something to include perhaps when it's quite due to the motorsport season taking the summer and winter breaks, as I can imagine when racing is back on full time there won't be much room for talking about anything else.
Mainly just filler content which could be interesting when SIM and IRL racing is a bit quiet

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 96 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 91 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 131 13.7%