The RaceDepartment Podcast (S1, E2)

Serious question.

If I wanted to explore super trucks, how would I do that? Which sim etc?
no licensed content in any sim, closest to sst is super trucks series in ams (official content but not licensed, but as close as you can get :p), if you mean only simulators then i believe thats it

I listened to it back, did they get too loud for you? Or was that a joke? Wasn't an issue for me so trying to understand.
Your moderator (sorry, I forget his name) actually commented on getting excited and loud at one point with one your guests. I don't think you can control that with volumes, it's more about mic usage and how close/far you are to it when you're speaking.

Let's talk good things, though, I liked the enthusiasm and passion for sim racing. The level-headedness is good, too, I'm sure we all came from arcade racers for the simple love of racing and moved our way up to simulations. The shared history of video games and how you all played similar and even older titles is very cool and very relatable for the listeners. The range of topics and how your moderator moves you along is very well done and the topics themselves are interesting, too.

As others have pointed out, some lesser talked about things like super trucks would be good topics. I'd like to hear you guys talk on simracing eSports. There was a recent winner controvery in the iRacing Sebring 12h that would be interesting to expand upon and see what simracers feel about these things.

You guys ever thought about live casting and getting interactive via Twitter during the show? Always wished IMSA and Radio Le Mans would get more interactive with Twitter during shows.

Good work, keep it up!

Your moderator (sorry, I forget his name) actually commented on getting excited and loud at one point with one your guests. I don't think you can control that with volumes, it's more about mic usage and how close/far you are to it when you're speaking.

That's me, I'm the main host/moderator.

Let's talk good things, though, I liked the enthusiasm and passion for sim racing. The level-headedness is good, too, I'm sure we all came from arcade racers for the simple love of racing and moved our way up to simulations. The shared history of video games and how you all played similar and even older titles is very cool and very relatable for the listeners. The range of topics and how your moderator moves you along is very well done and the topics themselves are interesting, too.
Good to hear.

As others have pointed out, some lesser talked about things like super trucks would be good topics. I'd like to hear you guys talk on simracing eSports. There was a recent winner controvery in the iRacing Sebring 12h that would be interesting to expand upon and see what simracers feel about these things.
There is alot of news out there already, something we can think about.

You guys ever thought about live casting and getting interactive via Twitter during the show? Always wished IMSA and Radio Le Mans would get more interactive with Twitter during shows.

Maybe we could do a live stream special, but as we try to stick within a timeframe throwing twitter into the mix might not be easy to do. Also, as things stand our audience isn't huge, as the podcast gets momentum then something like that might work better.

Appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
So glad you guys are doing this. I love podcasts and have a fairly long commute, so this is perfect for me. I think the format and discussion is pretty good and am sure you’ll get slicker over time, but you’re off to a great, great start!

One possible thought for future episodes is to be in sync with what’s happening IRL. For example, IndyCar starts this weekend, so maybe discuss the real life race but connect it to the sim world. What sim has the best virtual representation of IndyCar and St Petersburg? Just a thought.

One possible thought for future episodes is to be in sync with what’s happening IRL. For example, IndyCar starts this weekend, so maybe discuss the real life race but connect it to the sim world. What sim has the best virtual representation of IndyCar and St Petersburg? Just a thought.

Valid points, next record is next week so it will be closer to the F1 weekend. But will give Indycar a mention.

Maybe we should do a series where we talk about a certain series and the best game or mod that replicates it?

Maybe we should do a series where we talk about a certain series and the best game or mod that replicates it?

I personally love both of these ideas, will make very interesting listening :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for Episode 2 it's a great listen, interesting to hear the thoughts on the Studio397 & Reiza partnership...although you all pronounced it "Razar" where I think it should be "Riza" :D
The segment on Arcade Racers was excellent, so many memories brought back to me, as was the Hardware section, very informative.

The overriding sense I get from the first two podcasts is the enthusiasm from you all as mentioned above, that's what I (and no doubt all of us) have for this Hobby of ours. It's just great to hear voices about it instead of the written word on a forum, makes a fresh and pleasant change to the way I perceive this past time that brings me so much damn joy!

Great stuff chaps, looking forward to the next one :)

Thanks for Episode 2 it's a great listen, interesting to hear the thoughts on the Studio397 & Reiza partnership...although you all pronounced it "Razar" where I think it should be "Riza" :D
The segment on Arcade Racers was excellent, so many memories brought back to me, as was the Hardware section, very informative.

The overriding sense I get from the first two podcasts is the enthusiasm from you all as mentioned above, that's what I (and no doubt all of us) have for this Hobby of ours. It's just great to hear voices about it instead of the written word on a forum, makes a fresh and pleasant change to the way I perceive this past time that brings me so much damn joy!

Great stuff chaps, looking forward to the next one :)

Thanks. Bonus episode released last night, there will be a post made about it later by our resident editor.

Great conversations - allows me to ignore the BS going on at work :)
Talking about Test drive had me remembering my first "sim" I can remember on the Amiga - Test Drive 2 the Duel - with the F40 and the Porsche 959. Probably played something on the spectrum before that too! Eventually went 3D with the Playstation when I saw Wipeout! But ended up with the F1 and Gran Turismo series with a driving force GT. Finally made the move to PC sim racing a year ago after getting an HTC Vive and upgrading to a G29.

Talking about hardware, I've recently acquired a Pimax 5k+ which finally delivered what I wanted from VR... FOV, resolution, and reduced screen door - Assetto is astounding. So then went and bought the NLR V3 motion platform and OMP bucket seat, Fanatec Xbox box pack (CS V2.5 wheel base, P1 Elite wheel and CSL elite pedals and added the loadcell upgrade). Then found the old NLR wheelstand I had a G29 on wasn't strong enough for the CSW 2.5 and added a Sim-lab GT1 to hold it all together. I agree motion doesn't improve your lap times but what it does it reduce the sickness, as now the fluid in your ear agrees you are getting bounced about with what your eyes are seeing. Still haven't got the buttkicker gamer 2 working properly as it's got some odd 1 second oscillation that's masking the engine rev and bumps. Is it all worth it, probably not, but it does feel awesome. Am about to start a new build with OSW and Heusinkveld gear ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back