The RaceDepartment Podcast (S1, E15)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Podcast Out Now 15.jpg

Welcome to the 15th episode of the RaceDepartment Podcast - available now!

Mixing things up somewhat, for this episode we have a new member of the team... welcome @Daniel Monteiro - everyone's favourite Spanish RD staff member.. despite his claim of being Portugese.

With Mr @Paul Glover, Dani and myself in the virtual podcast studio, we managed to put together a pretty long episode discussing the world of real and virtual motorsport. For this week, we cover such diverse topics as the new Codemasters GRID game, ACC new content, Joseph's 24hr charity stream, the trials in tribulations of Robert Kubica 2019 style and of course our main topic... what we think is missing in sim racing today.

Hope you enjoy!

(As always, big thanks to @RasmusP for his audio editing skills!)

To help you access the various locations of this latest podcast, you can check out the useful list below of just some of the places you can listen to and download the new episode. Of course, if you missed the RD Podcast excitement last time out, you can still catch up with all out broadcasts too…

Podcast Links:
Do you have any special requests for future episodes? Do you want to share your thoughts, comments and feedback on what direction the show could take going forward? Please do let us know in the comments section, and at the RD Podcast sub forum location.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
We added a music track to the podcast this week, feedback most welcome @ZeroRisk
Hiya Paul, yet another tip top podcast from you guys. Love it. But I still haven't finished it yet. Even the crazy Malaysia rush hour traffic wasn't enough to get me to the end.
But yes! The music in the background was good, definitely sounded that step forward to a more professional podcast.
Generally speaking it's just getting better and better and I look forward to them more and more each time.
The classic banter about Gregg's and the conversation about what would be great in the sims of the future was spot on. I kept thinking 'like', 'like', 'agree' in my head, you all touched on so many things that I myself think about and I'm hoping it's the same for most of us here.

Terrific so far and Daniel is doing very well standing in for the Italian Stallion. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a more multinational podcast team seeing as RD is becoming so global?

Plus, a quick comment on last cast, @Paul Glover , SW4 was awesome when used to go. Was great hearing someone else from this site having a good time there. I used to live in Battersea so wasn't too far from the common. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the next one already!

I like the sex music in the BG. Different :roflmao:

On the subject of debris on the track, I remember this happening on F1 99. Didn’t really affect anything though. There also used to be bits left on the track in TOCA Touring Car Championship too. Heady days.

Great pod again guys. Thank you :thumbsup:

Awesome podcast again guys!

The part that was mentioned about what is missing from modern day sims had some great ideas. When it was mentioned that seeing the vehicles being recovered trackside would be a nice feature. I instantly thought about Grand Prix 2 where you had the marshals push the cars to a point where the car would then be lifted by a crane. The immersion I felt as an 11-12 year old, seeing the car being lifted and running underneath it mid-air in a race at Monaco was second to none back in the day. If only that sort of thing was implemented this day an age, I can only imagine how awesome that would look in VR.

Thank you and keep up the great work. :thumbsup:
At 25:10 you see the marshal recover the vehicle.

Awesome podcast again guys!

The part that was mentioned about what is missing from modern day sims had some great ideas. When it was mentioned that seeing the vehicles being recovered trackside would be a nice feature. I instantly thought about Grand Prix 2 where you had the marshals push the cars to a point where the car would then be lifted by a crane. The immersion I felt as an 11-12 year old, seeing the car being lifted and running underneath it mid-air in a race at Monaco was second to none back in the day. If only that sort of thing was implemented this day an age, I can only imagine how awesome that would look in VR.

Thank you and keep up the great work. :thumbsup:
At 25:10 you see the marshal recover the vehicle.

Spot on - Just a very basic animation like this one, in the sims of today, would add so much to the feeling of being immersed in the race, in my opinion :)

Let's hope such things come back at some point. At this point, AMS 2 is the only next "hope" as we are still in the dark about its outcome. It would indeed be quite an addition to the genre today, for both offline and online racing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%