The RaceDepartment Podcast (S1, E11)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Podcast Out Now S1E11.jpg

Welcome to the 11th episode of the RaceDepartment Podcast - available now.

Our 11th podcast release is now available to download and listen - hot off the heels of our 10th anniversary special edition, and marking the start of a slightly longer than usual break until we head back to the virtual studio to record episode 12 at the end of July.

In this podcast we once again hear from Paul Glover, Davide Nativo and Paul Jeffrey discussing various happenings in the world of real and virtual motorsports. This week we talk about the new GT2 category and the freshly announce Audi R8 LMS GT2. We navigate around the news from Automobilista 2, lay thoughts down on the current state of Wreckfest, ponder whatever happened to DiRT Rally 2.0 VR support and get all worked up about the current state of DLC releases in sim racing games... with a little bit more besides.

If you listen to our podcast, please do give us a review on your podcast service of choice - these reviews help us spread the word and continue to grow our listener numbers in the weeks, months and years ahead. Thanks!

To help you access the various locations of this latest podcast, you can check out the useful list below of just some of the places you can listen to and download the new episode. Of course, if you missed the RD Podcast excitement last time out, you can still catch up with all out broadcasts too…

Podcast Links:
Do you have any special requests for future episodes? Do you want to share your thoughts, comments and feedback on what direction the show could take going forward? Please do let us know in the comments section, and at the RD Podcast sub forum location.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Another great episode chaps, sorry to hear your car got nicked Paul that sucks.

Dirt2 VR is a mystery, quite why they announce something like that then fall almost totally silent is very strange, I'll believe it when i see it.

On the topic of DLC i actually find it strange that devs release stuff for free, by that i mean take the Tatuus (how are you pronouncing that Glover!? :D) for example, i know what immense work by Studio397 it took to create and release that Car Pack. I would quite happily of paid X amount for it, so to not even charge £1 per car to me seems odd unless there's a license agreement with Tatuus (tat-oos?) to release for free perhaps, i dunno, but certainly would be a great Podcast to get a Devs perspective and their reasons on the cost of DLC and why some Cars/Tracks are free.

Another great episode chaps, sorry to hear your car got nicked Paul that sucks.

Dirt2 VR is a mystery, quite why they announce something like that then fall almost totally silent is very strange, I'll believe it when i see it.

On the topic of DLC i actually find it strange that devs release stuff for free, by that i mean take the Tatuus (how are you pronouncing that Glover!? :D) for example, i know what immense work by Studio397 it took to create and release that Car Pack. I would quite happily of paid X amount for it, so to not even charge £1 per car to me seems odd unless there's a license agreement with Tatuus (tat-oos?) to release for free perhaps, i dunno, but certainly would be a great Podcast to get a Devs perspective and their reasons on the cost of DLC and why some Cars/Tracks are free.

Yes for some reason my brain struggles with it.....

Thanks again for this episode. Always entertaining. I'm late to this, I somehow missed listening.

I'm listening to the 'price of dlc' discussion. It's frustrating when you all have the same point of view on an issue because for everybody listening it's like you're talking past your listeners with a different point of view. I imagine you feel the same about us when we're talking about the same issue. We're all just talking past each other and we don't understand why the other side thinks the way they do.

Regarding the price of games and dlc, we just have to be clear, nobody thinks $10 is a lot of money for a track or car. If that one thing was and had always been the accepted sum total of the game, we'd all be fine with it.

The real issue is not the price rather it's the question of are we getting an experience that feels complete and satisfactory or is it the Chinese Water Torture equivalent of bleeding the consumer for as long as possible without completing anything.

For a positive example where there is a high price, take iRacing: Yes, DLC is expensive, but you have a complete experience. That makes it worth it.

For a negative example, take AC or ACC. For different reasons, there's something about both games that feels incomplete and lacking for post-1.0 titles.

There's a certain quality, as opposed to a quantity, about titles that provides that experiential satisfaction. PCars2, for all its technical issues, tends to feel like a complete experience.

This isn't just a sim issue, either, it's a widelly covered topic in other gaming genres. There are some great YouTube gamer thinkers that have covered what makes a good DLC and what doesn't. The Witcher 3 is apparently a gold standard for a complete original game and where the DLC also feels like a complete game to itself.

I appreciate you guys covering the topic, nonetheless, just wish there was more perspective. Maybe you guys could play Devil's Advocate a bit more with your topics? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Shovas I agree in general with your points of view. Tried to write something else to complement, only to notice that I was basically repeating what you have written.

Paul J is right when saying "DLC is about it being worth it for you". If it was only about the money, almost everybody would buy all the DLC out there. The sentiment as a whole that we get is what really matters, and from that perspective, I wish I had the same feeling that Paul J has :)

Thanks again for your podcast my welding world welds much better when listening to your pods, have lost count how many times I've heard them continue with the good job.Tatuus, ta-toos?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.8%